The Student Room Group

Careers advice

Goal: To life and work abroad before starting a family and go to University (working in a tax heaven country like Bermuda or Cayman Islands)
Final goal: To go to University to study biology or parasitology.

Dear student room I was thinking of studying:

Future CV
Level 2 functional skills English and maths (July 2023)
Level 2 plumbing diploma (July 2024)
Level 3 Electrical installation (July 2025)
Level 2 car paint repair (July 2026)

Would these qualifications prepare me for a good education and work prospects before I start University or would it be a waste of time?

If I potentially study these qualifications at college, what would the negative and positive outcomes will be?

If I just do my functional skills before an Access course to go to university then can't find a job in biology as a biologist that would be extra qualifications be an extra safety net for me to fall back on in hard times?

If I can't find a job as a biologist would these extra qualifications on CV allow me to pursue a career as a car paint repair technician, electrician or plumber be more advantages than not potentially having those qualifications?

If I'm successful of finding a job as a biologist/viologist what about in England are most of the jobs advertised?
Which country are you in?
Original post by ajj2000
Which country are you in?

England
Original post by uranium199842t
England

ok. Hey - I think you are looking in a really positive, but somewhat misguided way.

I don't know much about car paint repair (could be great I just don't know) but plumbing and electrical installation are fine jobs. You should look for apprenticeships as practical experience is at least as important as the qualification. What you don't need to do is so many courses. Maybe they can tie together - but you need to decide this when you have experience and a plan.

Focus on one trade - get the work and qualification and then see what happens. All would be great fall backs should you chose to take a biology degree in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by uranium199842t
Goal: To life and work abroad before starting a family and go to University (working in a tax heaven country like Bermuda or Cayman Islands)
Final goal: To go to University to study biology or parasitology.

Dear student room I was thinking of studying:

Future CV

Would these qualifications prepare me for a good education and work prospects before I start University or would it be a waste of time?

If I potentially study these qualifications at college, what would the negative and positive outcomes will be?

If I just do my functional skills before an Access course to go to university then can't find a job in biology as a biologist that would be extra qualifications be an extra safety net for me to fall back on in hard times?

If I can't find a job as a biologist would these extra qualifications on CV allow me to pursue a career as a car paint repair technician, electrician or plumber be more advantages than not potentially having those qualifications?

If I'm successful of finding a job as a biologist/viologist what about in England are most of the jobs advertised?

Personally I would only do trades skill qualifications if I was planning to do that in the long run. I am an electrician myself and there is a lot of money in this trade but you must want to do that in the long run for this. If your final goal however is to go to university to study biology or parasitology, I do not think these will be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending