The Student Room Group

Scottish Uni Fees

What do you guys think about Scottish and EU students only having to pay an average of £1,280, whereas RUK (Rest of UK) students have to pay the normal price of £9,000?
Should RUK students be able to pay the same as EU students now?
Should RUK students be able to pay the same as EU students if Scotland go independent?
Should Scottish and EU students pay full price?
Scottish and EU students pay £0 in tuition fees. RUK students tend to pay £9k for the first three years of the degree, thus meaning that they get 4 years of tuition for the price of 3.

Scottish and EU students ought to pay, although I'm not sure at what price. I would prefer a more up-front system than this student loan system that we use so much now.
Reply 2
Original post by lucindatownsend

Should RUK students be able to pay the same as EU students if Scotland go independent?

No. I don't think anyone should have to pay university fees.
Reply 3
All I have to say is that I'm very glad to be Scottish. :biggrin:
Original post by lucindatownsend
What do you guys think about Scottish and EU students only having to pay an average of £1,280, whereas RUK (Rest of UK) students have to pay the normal price of £9,000?

It's completely unfair - it really does frustrate me as my whole family lives in Scotland, and the only thing that makes me different is that I live down South. I could compete for Scotland in the commonwealth if I was good enough, but I wouldn't get the same education treatment, so I'm only 'Scottish' when it suits them! The fact that the EU don't pay also annoys me, and if independence goes ahead then RUK should get the same treatment as EU students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
It's completely unfair - it really does frustrate me as my whole family lives in Scotland, and the only thing that makes me different is that I live down South. I could compete for Scotland in the commonwealth if I was good enough, but I wouldn't get the same education treatment, so I'm only 'Scottish' when it suits them! The fact that the EU don't pay also annoys me, and if independence goes ahead then RUK should get the same treatment as EU students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But this is the thing about the tuition fee support- It is not about what nationality you are but where you have been domiciled. If getting free university tuition was so important to you then you should have moved back up to Scotland ~3 years prior to wanting to go to university. It's not as though it is even a new requirement either.

Legally RUK students would have to be treated as Scottish students if we were to go independent, but for that reason (and other reasons) I think tuition fees ought to be reintroduced in Scotland. There are just too many people going to university at the moment.
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
But this is the thing about the tuition fee support- It is not about what nationality you are but where you have been domiciled. If getting free university tuition was so important to you then you should have moved back up to Scotland ~3 years prior to wanting to go to university. It's not as though it is even a new requirement either.

Legally RUK students would have to be treated as Scottish students if we were to go independent, but for that reason (and other reasons) I think tuition fees ought to be reintroduced in Scotland. There are just too many people going to university at the moment.

Yes I guess so - it's not hugely important to me, but it just seems to be a very unfair system due to the fact that EU students may also go for free - it's like England, Wales and Northern Ireland have been singled out, despite being part of the EU.
I agree with tuition fees being introduced though - and not just so everyone pays the same - but I think it makes people consider what they are going to study more carefully, as well as whether they are going solely for the social life or actually to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Yes I guess so - it's not hugely important to me, but it just seems to be a very unfair system due to the fact that EU students may also go for free - it's like England, Wales and Northern Ireland have been singled out, despite being part of the EU.
I agree with tuition fees being introduced though - and not just so everyone pays the same - but I think it makes people consider what they are going to study more carefully, as well as whether they are going solely for the social life or actually to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they could I'm sure they would introduce fees for EU students. It's something to do with the UK consisting of the 4 states allowing each state to discriminate against the others if they so choose. So what they are doing is the minimum they can to prevent an influx of students whilst ensuring there's fewer barriers for Scottish students moving into higher education.

And yeah I agree completely- there are just so many people who don't deserve to be at university it is unreal; even subjects like medicine and law have a fair number of idiots which surprised me a lot considering how difficult it can be to get offers for them.
Reply 8
Original post by Dylankj96
All I have to say is that I'm very glad to be Scottish. :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly.
Reply 9
Original post by Gillybop
My thoughts exactly.

You're the first fellow-Glaswegian I've came across here, haha.
Reply 10
Original post by Dylankj96
You're the first fellow-Glaswegian I've came across here, haha.

Cant say ive came accross many, there is a few fellow Scots, but the English are many.
Original post by Gillybop
Cant say ive came accross many, there is a few fellow Scots, but the English are many.

Can't argue with that. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending