The Student Room Group

Is it petty/stupid to pick a Uni based on accommodation?

I have offers from two really good Uni's, both top 30, one is top 15.
The thing is, University A is ranked lower in top 30, but I love the look of the Uni more, including the accommodation which is really modern, recently refurbished, en-suite and cheaper and on campus.

University B is more prestigious, but I can only afford one, maybe two of their accommodation choices, they are really expensive, off campus, out-dated, ugly and non en-suite and I can't afford the nicer halls.

I know it's stupid because I know I would enjoy both Universities but then would dread having to come home to a horrible, ugly room which is costing my so much money if I went to the more prestigious university.

:confused:
Reply 1
It is only for a year, and the more prestigious uni is likely to get you a better job/future.

Personally, I think it would be stupid to choose a uni over the accommodation offered rather than the course offered.
Original post by ahmad94
It is only for a year, and the more prestigious uni is likely to get you a better job/future.

Personally, I think it would be stupid to choose a uni over the accommodation offered rather than the course offered.

This!

One year compared to the rest of your life
Reply 3
Original post by lokalokaloka
The thing is, University A is ranked lower in top 30, but I love the look of the Uni more, including the accommodation which is really modern, recently refurbished, en-suite and cheaper and on campus.

University B is more prestigious, but I can only afford one, maybe two of their accommodation choices, they are really expensive, off campus, out-dated, ugly and non en-suite and I can't afford the nicer halls.

I know it's stupid because I know I would enjoy both Universities but then would dread having to come home to a horrible, ugly room which is costing my so much money if I went to the more prestigious university.

I think I've moved away from the idea of looking at rank tables now, obviously you want to go to a decent enough university, but you shouldn't just go to the one which is better 'ranked'. Go to the one which you'd enjoy living/spending time there! On the other hand though, it isn't just about your actual surroundings, most people say it's your flatmates which make the accommodation good! Plus after the first year you can move out into a house with your friends!
Reply 4
No, you don't want to be living in a dump
Reply 5
Ignore the ranking tables. You'll be much happier.

Surely you've answered your own question? You say you would be happy at either university but really like the accommodation of one. So pick that one, it's not a silly reason to pick one uni over another. You need to pick somewhere that you will be happy.

Though it may be worth looking at the student satisfaction rating for both universities to see how students rate the course you want to study and the uni itself.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Just search for the course or uni.
Reply 7
I think you have to choose your uni based on course first, but if there are other circumstances that are going to make you unhappy or less well off then of course you have to take them into account. I knew that I 100% wanted to be in halls in my first year in order to meet people, which meant that the £160-£200 a week Elephant and Castle halls at LCC were out of reach for me - I just didn't think that was justified and would have had to have lived in shared housing from the get go and therefore didn't apply. However I have had a few friends be so unhappy with their accom that they have been spending all their money and time coming home each weekend which is disrupting their work terribly - if it's going to upset you to the point that it will affect your study then reconsider. Personally I could live in a cardboard box as long as there was wifi so I'm happy to go for the cheapest, it's all down to your personality and needs.

If you're equally happy with both university course wise, I say go for option A. I agree when people say it's only a year, but if you're miserable where you live, that could impact a lot.
League tables are fundamentally flawed - read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

Other than accommodation and prestige, what other things are important to you? Have you looked, in detail, at the modules on offer?
Accommodation is only for a year so I personally wouldn't base my entire choice on that.
Reply 11
Am I the only one staying in accommodation longer than a year :tongue:

It's not the most pressing deciding factor, but it is a good tie breaker in the case of a stale mate.
It depends where you live now. I used to live in quite a bad area and so was sure that when I get to uni I want some lovely accommodation for a change; now I've moved house I'm not thinking like that anymore but the accommodation was a major reason why I didn't apply to York for instance. Do what you think will make you happiest! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending