The Student Room Group

Multilingual and Polyglot Wannabe Thread MK II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
Quick thought 2: Are there no Portuguese (speaking) people at your school though? I would have thought that your part of London would have a vibrant Portuguese community. I wish I had some people in my life I could speak Dutch with :frown:

:music:

Я pam pam peem
pam pam pam pam pam pam pam
TOOTOO
:nyan:

Surprisingly not. I only know of one other Portuguese person in my year (no idea about the rest of the school, it's massive). There are some parts in London with huge Portuguese communities (one area has nearly 30,000) which we occasionally go to if my grandma comes over, but tbh I'm not a big fan of these sort of communities, as I feel people should be making more of an effort to integrate with the rest of society rather than forming small closed circles.

I could start a portuguese society at school I guess. Don't really have much time for it this year though with all this work and uni stuff :tongue:
Original post by TheTechN1304
Surprisingly not. I only know of one other Portuguese person in my year (no idea about the rest of the school, it's massive). There are some parts in London with huge Portuguese communities (one area has nearly 30,000) which we occasionally go to if my grandma comes over, but tbh I'm not a big fan of these sort of communities, as I feel people should be making more of an effort to integrate with the rest of society rather than forming small closed circles.

I could start a portuguese society at school I guess. Don't really have much time for it this year though with all this work and uni stuff :tongue:

Wow! I'm in the West Country and half of the A-level Spanish class at my college is Portuguese / Brazilian! :tongue: But in somewhere as international as London everybody sort of blends in as a Londoner, first and foremost, I guess!

I do think it's rather special to have a little "home away from home" =) The success of integration with the rest of society, does lie on the mindset of the individual concerned, rather than the demographics of the geographic location they reside in. Feeling like you're completely isolated would be the worst, but Portugal (at least) is easily reachable :tongue:

Are there any other language societies at your school? :smile:

Я pam pam peem
TOOTOO
Wow! I'm in the West Country and half of the A-level Spanish class at my college is Portuguese / Brazilian! :tongue: But in somewhere as international as London everybody sort of blends in as a Londoner, first and foremost, I guess!

I do think it's rather special to have a little "home away from home" =) The success of integration with the rest of society, does lie on the mindset of the individual concerned, rather than the demographics of the geographic location they reside in. Feeling like you're completely isolated would be the worst, but Portugal (at least) is easily reachable :tongue:

Are there any other language societies at your school? :smile:

Я pam pam peem
TOOTOO

Not really, no. I mean, we have the ability to learn quite a few languages, but there are few language societies which is a shame. What about you?
Not really, no. I mean, we have the ability to learn quite a few languages, but there are few language societies which is a shame. What about you?

That's great! ^^ And I'm no longer in a sixth form / structured kind of environment, but my local college does offer evening classes in several languages all at various levels. They do come at a price, though. Octopus told me that the course fees have drastically risen as well :redface:

Я pam pam peem
TOOTOO
(edited 9 years ago)
That's great! ^^ And I'm no longer in a sixth form / structured kind of environment, but my local college does offer evening classes in several languages all at various levels. They do come at a price, though. Octopus told me that the course fees have drastically risen this year :redface:

Я pam pam peem
TOOTOO

ahh ok. i see! :P
YU gotta FIGHT for dee HERO inside yoself
OOOOHH YEAHH!!
FIGHT for dee HERO inside
OOOOHH YEAHH!!
FIGHT FOR DEE HERO INSIDE YOSELF
Until yuz got da key to yo Heartttt

:nyan: :colone:

YaHeeHee YaHeeHee YaTooToo!!
YaHeeHee YaHeeHee Ya:danceboy:
Lepoissonmal? :wink:

Deutsch!!! That's great - we will have something in common, at last! And your other choices are pwutty good too! ;-D

How often do these language learning societies meet? Do you think it will be /very/ informal?

Are you adjusting to zee student life? =P

Я pam pam peem
TOOTOO

So far so good. :yes: Just don't know where to go in general.
Lucky! My school doesn't have a Portuguese society :frown:

Mas quando tu queres, podes falar aqui comigo :wink:

HAHAH obrigado.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
So far so good. :yes: Just don't know where to go in general.

HAHAH obrigado.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Das ist gut

:nyan: :colone:

YaHeeHee YaHeeHee YaTooToo!!
YaHeeHee YaHeeHee Ya:danceboy:
Does anybody here happen to speak Esperanto? I'm doing some research into it and I'd be interested to speak to anybody who does :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophia2510
Does anybody here happen to speak Esperanto? I'm doing some research into it and I'd be interested to speak to anybody who does :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I've just replied to your thread but I can link you to other esperantists if that would help you!!! :smile:
Stopped learning Korean at intermediate level, just gives me a headache seeing hangul nowadays.

Starting Spanish on duolingo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
Stopped learning Korean at intermediate level, just gives me a headache seeing hangul nowadays.

Starting Spanish on duolingo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha. I wanted to learn Korean just because of hangul lol. But after learning it I realised that learning new vocab for a language completely unrelated to the numerous ones I already know was pointless, so I gave up :P
Haha. I wanted to learn Korean just because of hangul lol. But after learning it I realised that learning new vocab for a language completely unrelated to the numerous ones I already know was pointless, so I gave up :P

How many languages do you know? Oh wow.

Yes, korean is easy to learn though and only has 24 characters compared to the thousands of characters in Japanese and Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many languages do you know? Oh wow.

Yes, korean is easy to learn though and only has 24 characters compared to the thousands of characters in Japanese and Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

German, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish then random alphabets and bits from others lol
German, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish then random alphabets and bits from others lol

Holy crap. A polyglot :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy crap. A polyglot :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Duolingo es muy útil para aprender español, woo
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Right. Let's see how my spanish is coming on.

Does the above mean,

Duolingo is very useful for learning Spanish

??

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I understood was es= is and duolingo. Lol.

I guess I just started yesterday

Yo soy una niña.
:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I understood was es= is and duolingo. Lol.

I guess I just started yesterday

Yo soy una niña.
:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yo no hablo español.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg... I can't speak Spanish but using French I could understand most of that!! :ahee::tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending