The Student Room Group

Average Student

Hey TSRians.

This is just a topic me and my friend were discussing a while back and I thought, I'd see what your opinions are.

In schools prior to college, don't you notice that students of average academic ability aren't given a lot of recognition. In my school, we had an effort and achievement afternoon for our year and sometimes it gets quite annoying to see that only all students either achieving high grades or those who are achieving low grades and "work hard" get these awards. The average academic ability students also put effort in, they study, revise and work hard but they don't get top grades, neither do they fail and they really don't get any achievements. It isn't fair in my opinion. This is just something I've observed in my school life. I think, those students need to be given at least some achievements. What do you think?

:smile:
Reply 1
Same with students that are consistently well behaved. If you're a little **** for a term and then become slightly tolerable after that, it's like the second coming of Christ. Meanwhile, those who have been taught basic manners and respect for authority are largely ignored.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Same with students that are consistently well behaved. If you're a little **** for a term and then become slightly tolerable after that, it's like the second coming of Christ. Meanwhile, those who have been taught basic manners and respect for authority are largely ignored.

Yes, that too. I don't see why misbehaved students, who then start behaving have to be given a "well done" certificate. While those who behave constantly, are ignored.
Reply 3
Bump....
Reply 4
Original post by MsFahima
Hey TSRians.

This is just a topic me and my friend were discussing a while back and I thought, I'd see what your opinions are.

In schools prior to college, don't you notice that students of average academic ability aren't given a lot of recognition. In my school, we had an effort and achievement afternoon for our year and sometimes it gets quite annoying to see that only all students either achieving high grades or those who are achieving low grades and "work hard" get these awards. The average academic ability students also put effort in, they study, revise and work hard but they don't get top grades, neither do they fail and they really don't get any achievements. It isn't fair in my opinion. This is just something I've observed in my school life. I think, those students need to be given at least some achievements. What do you think?

:smile:

The first school I went to for sixth form, whilst I largely hated it, was good at recognising the efforts of all in the 6th form. They had a draw every half term to win vouchers and you could get entries into it by going to the study room and working, for good attendance and other reasons I can't remember now. I won a voucher the first time and I'm a pretty average 6th form.

My secondary school had a commendations system and again you didn't need to be outstanding to get one.
Reply 5
It's likely because the more able and more willing kids know that getting good grades is its own reward. I do remember the naughty children getting lots of tokens in their timetable for good behaviour, which was still probably sub-par to the rest of us, but they need a different incentive. If you can't convince them with the prospects of going to college and university, you better find something else to grab their attention. You might want recognition, but unfortunately, it's rare to get that anywhere in life.

To be honest though, I stopped caring about those sorts of rewards, incentives and awards a long time ago. School kids put far too much attention into that sort of stuff - No wonder so many panic and have breakdowns about only getting 8 A*s at GCSE. I began focusing on myself and ignoring the views of others, and refused to collect many awards for "performance". It made things a lot more relaxing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending