The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs cardiff vs bristol

I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on each other cities and housing prices, accommodations etc
Bristol is the most expensive for living expenses and Cardiff is the cheapest. All are great cities and wonderful universities.
Reply 2
As cities I would go for Sheffield or Cardiff as Bristol is expensive.
Sheffield is a fun place to be a student.
Can't comment on Cardiff in that way.
Reply 3
Bristol is expensive and has ongoing student accommodation issues.
Cardiff and Sheffield are both sensible Unis in interesting cities with lots to do.
Have a look at the 'tourist' films and open day films on YouTube - or go and visit if you can.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on each other cities and housing prices, accommodations etc

Hi there,

As a Hallam student, I can give you some insight on what Sheffield is like as a city!

For accomodation, it depends whether you are thinking of going to Hallam or uni of. Both have good accommodation options which range in price. My first year halls cost £109 a week and was very close to uni/the train station and for Hallam the most expensive is around £160 ish per week depending on what room you would like. As far as I know, the Uni of options are close to uni too! :smile:

For houses, I am staying on Ecclesall road next year and it's around £120 per week with bills included. It's a great street to live on with bars, pubs and plenty of places to eat. It depends on how many bedrooms/bathrooms and how close it is to each uni but mine is a 5 bed house and I think our cheapest option was around £109 with bills and most expensive £135, so overall it's not too expensive.

The city itself is great, lots of places to go on a night out and everyone is friendly! Drinks are cheap and often have good student deals. My favourite place to go is west street which has lots of bars which are really fun. Entry is free to most places here and drinks are cheap. There's always so many students here! Or there's places like Tank if you like drum and bass or The Leadmill is another club too.

Aside from clubbing, there are loads of great places to eat and they're generally well priced. Some of my favourites are Rudy's pizza and The Street Food Chef. There are also cinemas, bowling alleys and paint a pot which are some good things I've done this year.

If you like shopping like me, then Meadowhall is a 5 minute train journey away from the city centre and there's lots of shops and food places here too. Or shopping in town is also good.

I also like going for walks to the Botanical gardens which is just off Ecclesall road. It's very peaceful here and really nice in the spring and summer to walk round. It's around a 20 minute walk from the centre of town so not bad for a lovely bit of nature!
The peace Gardens are also worth a visit as there is often lots of independent stalls here which are nice to look round.

Overall, of course I would recommend Sheffield! But I'm sure wherever you choose you will have a great time and meet lots of new friends :smile:

I hope some of this helps!
Lucy- SHU student ambassador.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Choosing a city to live in can be tough, especially when comparing vibrant options like Sheffield, Cardiff, and Bristol! To help you out, I've compiled some key insights on each city, including housing prices and accommodation options:
Sheffield:
Vibe: Industrial heritage meets modern cool, with a strong focus on outdoor activities and a friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere.
Housing Prices: Relatively affordable compared to the other two cities, with the average house price around £225,000 and average rent for a one-bedroom flat at £550 per month.
Accommodation: Diverse range of options, from student flats and terraced houses to Victorian conversions and trendy apartments. Popular areas include Ecclesall Road, Kelham Island, and The Moor.
Cardiff:
Vibe: Bustling capital city with a blend of historical charm, lively nightlife, and stunning coastal scenery.
Housing Prices: Slightly higher than Sheffield, with the average house price around £260,000 and average rent for a one-bedroom flat at £625 per month.
Accommodation: Mix of traditional terraces, modern apartments, and student digs. Popular areas include Pontcanna, Roath Park, and the city center.
Bristol:
Vibe: Creative and independent spirit, with a thriving arts scene, a strong focus on sustainability, and a laid-back, alternative vibe.
Housing Prices: Most expensive of the three, with the average house price around £310,000 and average rent for a one-bedroom flat at £700 per month.
Accommodation: Eclectic mix of Victorian houses, converted warehouses, and modern flats. Popular areas include Clifton, Gloucester Road, and the harborside

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending