The Student Room Group

Laptops

i was wondering, if it was possible to use laptops in exams. Basically i have the most horrendous handwriting, and i write quite slowly compared to how quickly i type.

i have no disability, just bad handwriting.

Thanks (this took me about 20 seconds to type. if i had to write it it would take me about a minute.)
Untidy handwriting is not grounds to be allowed to use a lap top. Too much opportunity for cheating as well. Hidden files on HDD, concealed memory sticks, etc. etc.
Reply 2
You may be permitted to use a university controlled desktop for exams (not linked to the wider network, locked down to prevent cheating etc). However at my undergrad uni this was only permitted if you had a problem which was covered by DSA, and your DSA assessment recommended it. I know one person who asked to use a PC because they had poor handwriting and they were turned down.

You need to ask for your uni's policy.
Reply 3
In a further education college this could be allowed to enable tutors to read responses, but in a university it would have to be backed up by some medical or educational psychologist evidence. It may be worthwhile asking your disability adviser or GP about Dysgraphia:

'Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing, which requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills. Dysgraphia makes the act of writing difficult. It can lead to problems with spelling, poor handwriting and putting thoughts on paper. '
But as the OP wrote

i have no disability, just bad handwriting
Reply 5
Original post by NJones
In a further education college this could be allowed to enable tutors to read responses, but in a university it would have to be backed up by some medical or educational psychologist evidence. It may be worthwhile asking your disability adviser or GP about Dysgraphia:

'Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing, which requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills. Dysgraphia makes the act of writing difficult. It can lead to problems with spelling, poor handwriting and putting thoughts on paper. '

I have no known disabilities, however this makes sense, and could apply to me... (i'm not at uni yet, just about to take GCSE's ) From a young age, i have always a bit behind everyone at "motor skills". I couldn't tie laces up till i was 10, i couldn't do a tie until i was 12, so i was wondering, is there any test online to do check if you are other than symptoms. I just don't want to make the journey to a clinic.

EDIT: i'm not sure if this in the right place, however feel free to move it if it isn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Even if there were no one would take any notice if it.
Reply 7
I see students regularly who feel they have no disability, yet some or their functioning is consistent with some form of neuro diversity (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia. etc). Without proper testing they often don't realise why they spent years of their life getting by with coping strategies they use, sometimes without realising.

Online screening tools can identify whether a user is 'at risk' but formal evaluation is required to confirm neuro diversity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending