The Student Room Group

LSE UCL or KCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JusticeSeeker
So you're effectively saying there's no brand power? UCL does have brand power and I would like to think it looks more attractive than London Metropolitan University for example. Firms hire from all sorts of universities, but predominantly Oxbridge, illustrating that brands do have an influence. I think saying that US firms hire exclusively from Oxbridge is a complete overstatement unless you're referring to Skadden.

Here's an example of someone who went to a quite bottom ranked university, n.121, London Metropolitan university, and is now a trainee solicitor at leading US law firm, Ropes & Gray.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=54190866&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=JJmk&locale=en_US&srchid=2513932471398531673263&srchindex=1&srchtotal=4&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A2513932471398531673263%2CVSRPtargetId%3A54190866%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Of course there's brand power - employers would raise their eyebrow at a few university names, I was just trying to point out that the very top firms have the power just to go for Oxbridge grads, or very very good students with fantastic CVs at other uni's, because their intake is so low. It'd make your life much easier to just go to Oxbridge if you're given that opportunity, though some turn it down (I know somebody who turned down Cambridge for Leicester).

Profile won't load for me but that's very impressive. He must've been a rather exceptional person to manage that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tengentoppa
You're contradicting yourself. US firms cannot be "literally Oxbridge exclusive" if there are UCL and LSE graduates there. "Literally Oxbridge exclusive" would mean that every graduate to have ever got a training contract there went to Oxbridge. Obviously that isn't the case.

Many of those LSE and UCL graduates have also gone to Oxbridge and Harvard for the BCL/LLM. I can't say every single person that you'll find at US firms has gone to Oxbridge, you're right, but I'm saying that their intake from Oxbridge is so large that it more or less is impossible for the average 2:1 law student anywhere else to get in, unless I've said, they're very exceptional, or have worked for other firms previously, or married the daughter of a senior partner, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Interstellar
Many of those LSE and UCL graduates have also gone to Oxbridge and Harvard for the BCL/LLM. I can't say every single person that you'll find at US firms has gone to Oxbridge, you're right, but I'm saying that their intake from Oxbridge is so large that it more or less is impossible for the average 2:1 law student anywhere else to get in, unless I've said, they're very exceptional, or have worked for other firms previously, or married the daughter of a senior partner, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's thoroughly depressing. I suppose I'll concede to your view since you seem to know more about it than me. My point was more a pedantic one than anything.
Original post by tengentoppa
Well that's thoroughly depressing. I suppose I'll concede to your view since you seem to know more about it than me. My point was more a pedantic one than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will have to disagree with you sadly. I'm a first year at LSE, and there are a fair amount of people here who did vac/schemes/got TC offers from US firms.

It all depends on your definition of a US firm partly. The likes of Jones Day, Baker & Mckenzie, Shearman & Sterling definitely don't require you to be Oxbridge.

For the likes of Weil Gotshal, Kirkland & Ellis, you don't need to be Oxbridge either. A strong redbrick/Russell Group will suffice. The likes of Warwick, KCL, LSE, UCL, Durham, Nottingham etc are definitely good enough in terms of university. It becomes about a lot more than your university at that point.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/oliver-green/30/42/31a
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/emily-campbell/58/ab/673
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/goldfarbadam
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-phillips/43/817/785
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/katie-slater/12/30b/37
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/jason-merritt/18/670/627
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/elliott-kenton/79/1b9/305
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/elliotmichaelson
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/amelia-doughty/2a/145/783

Firms such as Skadden, Cleary Latham & Watkins are more Oxbridge heavy, but there will still be a fair amount of trainees from other top universities.

Firms like Sullivan & Cromwell and Debevoise & Plimpton who take a very small amount of trainees are more likely to recruit just from Oxbridge.
Reply 64
. MC firms hire largely from Oxbridge (especially Oxford), and US firms are literally exclusively Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a very misleading statement to make as it is simply incorrect.

I've seen this, and I still stand by my statement in the literal sense. I've had friends interviewed at US firms, one from LSE, and whilst he was there he was told that the firm only hires from Oxbridge, with the occasional LSE or UCL graduate. Some take as little as 5 graduates a year, and the only way you'll get in from a uni that isn't Loxbridge is if you're the absolute best of the best at your uni, and it's hard to be that person.

Simply, the chances of you getting into a US firm if you aren't an Oxbridge graduate is so marginal that it more or less is prerequisite to attend Oxbridge, because you really are lowering your chances tenfold.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Again would disagree with this. It's extremely misleading what you are saying as it only applies to literally one, maybe two of the US firms that are in London. All of the big boys such as Skadden, Latham & Watkins, Kirkland & Ellis, Jones Day, Sidley Austin, Weil, etc recruit a fair few students every year from universities other than Oxford or Cambridge. It is true that generally they will recruit from a limited number, but all of them recruit a number of graduates from universities other than Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and KCL.

Your chances will not be increased tenfold from attending Oxford or Cambridge. Yes they will be increased, but not on the scale you are making it out. Anyone who goes to a top 10 university and does extremely well there with lots of work experience, extra curriculars, etc has a chance at getting into the likes of Skadden or Latham - not going to Oxbridge doesn't ruin this at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Well I just firmed UCL over KCL.

Came down to location: it's a bit closer to where I live! I figure it will be easier to get a first if it takes ten minutes less time to commute in the morning. Right? Right.
Original post by hopondown
Well I just firmed UCL over KCL.

Came down to location: it's a bit closer to where I live! I figure it will be easier to get a first if it takes ten minutes less time to commute in the morning. Right? Right.

Welcome aboard potential fresher! :P I'm almost done with my first year of law at UCL so feel free to ask me any questions about the uni :smile:
I'm an international who got offered a 27k DP scholarship for KCL. When I first applied to the UK my attitude was pretty much "Oxbridge (in my case Cambridge) or bust" if I was paying int. tuition fees however the scholarship makes KCL affordable. I'm also considering offers from the various top Canadian business schools.

To make my decision I'm trying to figure out how KCL is perceived in the UK. What are some Unis in North America you think it's comparable to?

Also, the consensus seems to be that it's below UCL and LSE, but how far below?
UCL > LSE > KCL.

I'm not entirely sure, but isn't LSE law one of those programmes which international students can buy their way into it?
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Hey,

I was just curious on what everybody's thoughts were on these universities? I've gotten into LSE, UCL and KCL for Law and I know I'm really lucky because they're really prestigious and fantastic universities but they are also very similar. I just wondered what everybody thought about them and which one I should go to. I'm collecting lots of information from different people so although this won't be the deciding factor it will certainly feed into my decision.

Thanks

I'm at UCL but have studied modules at KCL for the past two years.

UCL is probably the most respected although to be totally honest the difference in employment prospects etc. is marginal as the top London unis seem to be regarded as comparable, although UCL seems to compete most with Oxbridge on the (questionable) league tables.

My experience at UCL has been fantastic; it has a good balance of academic achievement, sociable people, and fun experiences. Anybody who doesn't swell with pride crossing the Quad on a sunny day has no heart. Union bar is pretty good. Union itself is given to aggressively left wing politics and is very politically active. The student body as a whole tends to be politically aware and liberal leaning. Hipster city.

KCL facilities are very good from what I've seen: although the set out of books in the library is ridiculous, the library itself is far more spacious and airy than UCL library, which can get cramped during exam time with no chance of a free table late morning and afternoon. I believe UCL Halls are a better experience than KCL Halls (more fun etc.) but maybe the KCL lot just complain more. My lecturers at King's (War Studies) are great.

LSE, from what I hear, involves working like a dog for three years for the same qualification. Halls I've visited seemed pretty dead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuestionsQ
Clearly you go to UCL and I'm guessing from the tone of your reply that LSE rejected you?

Anyway, I'm not starting an argument. Let's just be up front about our circumstances - it's not particularly useful to have very biased feedback on a thread like this.

QuestionsQ

^ Pahahahaha... This is why you shouldn't go to LSE :rolleyes:
Original post by clh_hilary
UCL > LSE > KCL.

I'm not entirely sure, but isn't LSE law one of those programmes which international students can buy their way into it?

Well, I applied with no IB, so the Academic requirements were unreachable without serious grade inflation... (In Canada we have no standardized exams/ courses, all marking is in house. It's really stupid.)

Not sure what the AP requirements are (that's what I had) but I applied with 3 5s achieved (the top grade) and another four predicted. Oxbridge requires 5 5s for context.

So in answer to your question, in my experience... no.
Original post by CanuckKid
I'm an international who got offered a 27k DP scholarship for KCL. When I first applied to the UK my attitude was pretty much "Oxbridge (in my case Cambridge) or bust" if I was paying int. tuition fees however the scholarship makes KCL affordable. I'm also considering offers from the various top Canadian business schools.

To make my decision I'm trying to figure out how KCL is perceived in the UK. What are some Unis in North America you think it's comparable to?

Not really that much below. My KCL graduate friends are having the same kind of successes in the job market as my UCL graduate friends. There really isn't that much differentiation between UCL/KCL/LSE etc.
Well, I applied with no IB, so the Academic requirements were unreachable without serious grade inflation... (In Canada we have no standardized exams/ courses, all marking is in house. It's really stupid.)

Not sure what the AP requirements are (that's what I had) but I applied with 3 5s achieved (the top grade) and another four predicted. Oxbridge requires 5 5s for context.

So in answer to your question, in my experience... no.

But you didn't try buying your way in, did you? Have you donated anything? Bought the department new computers? Built a building? Bribed a professor?
But you didn't try buying your way in, did you? Have you donated anything? Bought the department new computers? Built a building? Bribed a professor?

Oh, I thought you meant just with extra tuition fees.

I have no idea then. Still, that's sort of true of any Uni. The Kennedy and Bush family have no trouble getting into Harvard, and that's part money part connection. If you have the resourses, you can buy your way in anywhere, and I don't see how that's a huge problem; if it means significantly better facilities/ staff / ect I'll put up with one dumb kid.
Oh, I thought you meant just with extra tuition fees.

I have no idea then. Still, that's sort of true of any Uni. The Kennedy and Bush family have no trouble getting into Harvard, and that's part money part connection. If you have the resourses, you can buy your way in anywhere, and I don't see how that's a huge problem; if it means significantly better facilities/ staff / ect I'll put up with one dumb kid.

I heard you can't do it with Oxbridge because the media is always looking at them. But obviously if you are rich, you can give your child lots of extra tuition and interview training, and good references, etc and it's basically the same.
I heard you can't do it with Oxbridge because the media is always looking at them. But obviously if you are rich, you can give your child lots of extra tuition and interview training, and good references, etc and it's basically the same.

Well, you can also send them to private school, etc. For better or worse, there's advantage in wealth.
Well, you can also send them to private school, etc. For better or worse, there's advantage in wealth.

Yeah, that's a given.

UCL > LSE > KCL.

In terms of university prestige, LSE > UCL, though.
UCL > LSE > KCL.

No idea where you got that idea from, definitely not the case at undergrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending