The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Ucas offers

Do early applicants have chances of getting a quicker response from universities? ( LSE, UCL, KCL)
Reply 1
definetly not KCL, alot of the time they dont even reject you and just let the ucas deadline do it
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Seriously ? That’s brutal ……
Original post by Jenny0203
definetly not KCL, alot of the time they dont even reject you and just let the ucas deadline do it
To be fair I think that only happened en masse once, but yeah, not nice.

Going back to the original Q: possibly, but no guarantee as competitive courses tend to use a gathered field approach, most often waiting until late Jan to even start.
LSE and UCL probably won't as they interview, so interviews will all be conducted around the same time and then offers will probably be made to every successful candidate on the same day. I applied to KCL in September and didn't receive an offer until may, by which point I'd already had offers from all the others I applied to
Original post by Username123ab
LSE and UCL probably won't as they interview, so interviews will all be conducted around the same time and then offers will probably be made to every successful candidate on the same day. I applied to KCL in September and didn't receive an offer until may, by which point I'd already had offers from all the others I applied to

LSE and UCL don’t interview.
Original post by trixster06

From my understanding, I think LSE has a "gathered field" policy where they don't consider applications till all the applications have been sent through. In other words, they won't consider applications till after the January deadline. This is done so that all applications are equally assessed before they start handing out offers. Therefore, I think applying early makes no difference. I applied to LSE in October and haven't got an offer yet, so I assume they won't give offers quicker to early applicants. LSE is extremely competitive and they'll have loads of applications to handle. I think we'll have to wait a while before we hear back from them.

This is what LSE says in their policy:

"Applications received by the 25th January deadline will considered equally. In order to give fair and equal consideration applications may be held as part of a gathered field alongside all ‘on- time’ applications. All decisions will be made by the 18th May at the latest. UCAS publishes a full list of application and reply deadlines."

Hope this helps and good luck with your applications!!

You’re pretty much correct but not completely.

LSE start assessing applications pretty much the moment they receive them, and they don’t wait till the equal consideration deadline. It’s why every year they send out a huge batch of rejections almost immediately in October/November, and have done so this year too with quite a few applicants already having been rejected since mid October (due to qualities of their personal statement). So obviously they have started assessing applications and also sending out rejections, but they only start giving offers till later on. According to past years spreadsheets, the first few offers come in around mid December to early January (before the equal consideration deadline) - but the bulk of the offers do tend to come out between February and May.
Therefore an applicant who’s applied in September won’t get an offer till January at least, but still might get rejected at this point in time - so I wouldn’t worry about receiving an offer/decision anytime soon, unless they deem your PS to be a definite no no and reject you immediately.

Also by law, all universities (inc. LSE) have to assess all applicants who have applied before January 31st with equal consideration. This doesn’t mean waiting until the deadline to start assessing, but instead universities have data to calculate how many offers/rejections they can give before certain date, and how many more applications they expect to receive.
Your UCAS Personal Statement is the number one factor that determines whether you will be accepted or rejected. So please use Bing or Google to search for UCAS Personal Statements advice and insight.

Tips for writing your personal statement | Students@LSE
Original post by user240506
Do early applicants have chances of getting a quicker response from universities? ( LSE, UCL, KCL)

I’ve applied for 2 courses in LSE (social anthropology & anthropology and law) and 2 in UCL ( social anthropology & global humanitarian studies)
would it be a risk to put my 5th choice as KCL (social sciences)?
Should I put queen Mary’s (global development) instead?
Reply 9
Original post by user240506

At the UCL open day, my tour guide said they accept on a rolling basis, so yes most likely early applicants have an advantage! Good luck :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending