The Student Room Group

Lee Rigby Killers sentenced

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reform
Did I say I condone what they did?

I'm free from what they did however I'll continue to supplicate for them or do you feel as though they don't deserve it?

I've yet to see you "supplicate" in threads talking about Muslims who have committed homosexual acts, for instance. Funny what you choose to "supplicate", eh?
Original post by Reform
Did I say I condone what they did?

I'm free from what they did however I'll continue to supplicate for them.

Okay sorry I misunderstood, I just think anybody, muslim or non-muslim that kills another person, (apart from jihad) and casts islam in a negative way shouldn't be forgave. Many people have also said these people ( I say people mean to say animals) weren't actually muslims, inc my local imam, so many people on the web, and people I have generally met in life.
Strong sentences, wasn't expecting them to be quite so long. Be interesting to see how long they last, can't imagine either of them being too popular inside.
Both should have gotten life. Hopefully the one who didn't get life kicks the bucket on the day he's due to be released.

Original post by Machop
Seems a bit harsh. Granted it was a ****ed up crime but the some serial killers/rapists and mass murders get more lenient sentences

Think it says more about the leniency of their sentences than the harshness of the sentences of Rigby's killers to be honest.
Reply 24
Yet a guy punched & killed a man & got 4 ****ing years? Morons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
I'm sure there are plenty of people in Britain who'd be happy to do it for free.

A part of living in a civilised society doesn't involve acts of vigilantism that will inevitably lead to someone innocent being killed...
They will most likely be placed in segregation because putting them in with other inmates will seriously limit their lifespan.

Minimum of 45 years means it has conditions attached. i.e. Adebowale will only get parole after 45 years if he is deemed no longer a threat and he will have to prove that to the parole board.

Presumably they will now go to the Court of Appeal to challenge the severity of their sentences. They may also take it to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg for the same purpose.
Original post by arson_fire
I think the death penalty would have risked making them out to be special or make them martyrs. Happy to see them slung in prison with all the other common murderers.

Agreed. They'd probably prefer it as they think they'd get to heaven faster LOL. This is actually great news. It's very likely they'll get the life beaten out of them again at least once more in prison :smile:. Ugh, it makes my skin crawl to think that they're still alive though.
Reply 28
Original post by arson_fire
I think the death penalty would have risked making them out to be special or make them martyrs. Happy to see them slung in prison with all the other common murderers.

That is true. The BBC article says that Adebolajo actually would have preferred to be put to death - he wanted to be a martyr.

Original post by SMEGGGY
Yet a guy punched & killed a man & got 4 ****ing years? Morons.

He was charged with manslaughter and not murder, hence the low sentence. But I do agree that it should have been longer - he'll probably serve two years. That's ridiculous.
Reply 29
What they did was in no way civilised so that argument is not washing with me sorry. They're guilty, it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt. Its not vigilantism, its getting rid of two murdering burdens on society.

This is not your average case where it could be proven in 10 years time that due to developments in evidence that they are in fact innocent, this is a case whereby they have been proven beyond doubt to be guilty of these crimes.

Another big part of being civilised is not stooping down to their level and remaining constant in decisions. Yes, in this case, they certainly are guilty, but I'm not sure where you can draw the line between death as a punishment and prison as a punishment, what defines it?
Reply 30
Original post by Burridge

Who would have supported the death penalty had that been an option?

I probably would have to be honest.
Reply 31
Original post by thenewone61
Are you serious? Damn. You are one sick mother****er. They are murderers. Scum. Yet you choose to plead to Allah for mercy and to "rectify their affairs". You should be praying for the family of the victim. It's idiots like you who make people think we're all crazy.

Did they kill an innocent bystander who has no involvement in war or did they target a soldier (who went to fight in Afghanistan)? He wasn't on duty but those being killed across the Muslim world aren't on duty as well.

I'll do as I see fit and while I believe they shouldn't have done it, i'll continue to make Dua for them and I'm actually glad they're not receiving the death sentence. The reason being that at least now, they can spend the days and hours in worship.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
They'll be out soon enough.

No they won't.
The average cost per year per prisoner is around £33k in the UK. Its probably gone up or down slightly since the last time I checked.

45 * £33k = roughly £1.5m - of course thats permitting they live that out

That doesn't factor in extra costs associated with them being high risk prisoners either

Sending them to the USA/China and administering the death penalty would cost far less than that.

They have already been convicted too beyond reasonable doubt.

The greatest costs associated with the death penalty occur prior to and during trial, not in post-conviction proceedings.

The moment they ended the life of another human being they lost all claim to compassion. Oh shut up, they are not "alleged" to be killers they are killers. There is footageYes, so as to awaken their brainwashed minds to the reality of the crime they have committed. Oh, it's quite easy. I put : and ) together to make one. Now you try :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
This is the best outcome we could have expected, I'm so glad the justice system hasn't let us down this time. 45 years minimum is basically code for a whole-of-life term, I can't see the parole board ever actually agreeing to let him go.

May they live a very long time in there.
Original post by reform
did i say i condone what they did?

I'm free from what they did however i'll continue to supplicate for them or do you feel as though they don't deserve it?

you have to be kidding me!

Why would you supplicate for such disgusting human beings? Supplicate for those who actually need it.
That's pre-conviction and during the trial. Post conviction, as is the case here, there's very minimal cost.

You said it yourself, case. Thats the cost for the ENTIRE case including the prosecution.

The court proceedings have already been dealt with here. It would simply be signing off paperwork to get their extradition sanctioned and the death penalty administered.
Not long enough. Not harsh enough.
Reply 39
That's pre-conviction and during the trial. Post conviction, as is the case here, there's very minimal cost.

You said it yourself, case. Thats the cost for the ENTIRE case including the prosecution.

The court proceedings have already been dealt with here. It would simply be signing off paperwork to get their extradition sanctioned and the death penalty administered.

It's not quite as simple as you think, there'd be international outcry and it's not as if the U.S is thirsty for criminals so they execute them for fun...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending