The Student Room Group

Final degree mark help

Hi, so I got my final degree back today. Devastated as it’s a 2:2.
I already had a concession in place due to very poor mental health over the last year, but got three essays in late. I did very poorly in my second year due to even worse mental health, but the killer is, is that had I got those three essays in on time, I would’ve got a 2:1.

Is there anyway to get my marked bumped up/ special consideration/ retroactive concessions on those three essays?
I did very well this year, par those three being capped at 40, so although I’m grasping my at straws- it truly doesn’t reflect me academically. For reference, I got 70% for my dissertation, and a range of 62-78% on my other essays.

I know it’s my fault, but I’m truly in bits over this.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
what subject
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
what subject

Sociology
Reply 3
Sociology
Original post by Wolfie1417
Hi, so I got my final degree back today. Devastated as it’s a 2:2.
I already had a concession in place due to very poor mental health over the last year, but got three essays in late. I did very poorly in my second year due to even worse mental health, but the killer is, is that had I got those three essays in on time, I would’ve got a 2:1.

Is there anyway to get my marked bumped up/ special consideration/ retroactive concessions on those three essays?
I did very well this year, par those three being capped at 40, so although I’m grasping my at straws- it truly doesn’t reflect me academically. For reference, I got 70% for my dissertation, and a range of 62-78% on my other essays.

I know it’s my fault, but I’m truly in bits over this.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

On what grounds?
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your mental health!

Your best course of action would be to make an academic appeal to the university. Your university should have its academic appeal policy on the website where you can check if you have grounds to appeal. From there, I'd recommend contacting your Student Union or Personal Tutor who will be able to guide you in this process and provide support.

Best of luck!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Reply 6
You need to begin with the cold hard truth: It's incredibly unlikely that you would be successful with any appeal.

Personal tutors cannot generally provide support with these appeals because it is a conflict of interest - academic staff are technically part of the exam board that you are appealing. The Union is the only way to get support.

Most institutions would not even allow an appeal because appeals are usually only considered if a procedural error has been made. A procedural error can take many forms, but not having mitigation in place at the right time is not usually one of them. Similarly, acceptance of retrospective Mitigation, especially once classifications have been released, is incredibly rare.

Why didn't you have mitigation in place for the essays that were delivered late? If (it's a big 'if') you can somehow demonstrate that there was a reason for you not informing the University of problems at the time, then there is a slight possibility of some movement on this. But I've seen this happen maybe twice in ten years in HE.

So sure, give it a go, but the odds of success are very slim. Your penultimate sentence suggests that you know you ought to have raised this at the time. The blunt fact is that institutions are not minded to mop up student mistakes, even with MC and mental health stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending