The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Argh... it's difficult, trying to care about mechanisms in heterogeneous catalysis...
Reply 981
Turdburger
With a normal funnel the product would still be "soggy" rather than a solid powder

Im reading on a mark scheme for the method a scoring point would be 'washes crude product' after it being filtered in the buchner. What does this mean... surely it would defeat the purpose of the buchner method? The teacher just told us to dry the solid between filter papers, naught about washing it :/ confused.com
Reply 982
cpchem
Argh... it's difficult, trying to care about mechanisms in heterogeneous catalysis...

They're actually two of the things I like... :o:
Reply 983
Kinkerz
They're actually two of the things I like... :o:

:nah: - even at a superficial level (which is, basically, all I need to know), it's seriously dull. In four-and-a-half weeks, I will never have to think about the Langmuir isotherm again. That will be a good day.
Reply 984
cpchem
:nah: - even at a superficial level (which is, basically, all I need to know), it's seriously dull. In four-and-a-half weeks, I will never have to think about the Langmuir isotherm again. That will be a good day.

I've just googled Langmuir isotherm :dong: It does look tedious...

I think superficial chemistry is probably less interestig than... *tries to think of the word for the opposite of superficial*... non-superficial chemistry. Understanding things is what makes the subject interesting in the first place.
Reply 985
EierVonSatan
Normally you wash the stuff you've just filtered onto the funnel with some solvent to remove any impurities on the solid itself, then you leave it to dry under vacuum for about 5 minutes. Then if you're really keen you can dry it between filter paper, but this is often not important.

should i include that in my method tomorow (to earn some extra brownie points :smile: ) or shall i leave it out?
Reply 986
EierVonSatan
Certainly wouldn't do you any harm :smile:

yay, and sorry to bother you again. But when recrystallising, you filter when the solution is hot, then cool - do you have to use the Buchner apparatus on both occasions?
Reply 987
EierVonSatan
Never hot filter with a Buchner, the vaccum rapidly boils the solvent :tongue:

Thankyou =D
I wish I actually knew stuff about real chemistry.
Quite tempted if im way above 60 to join a physical group and play on the pc for 3 hours a day rather being in a lab for 12 hours a day.
Reply 990
Depends on what projects I get offered, really. I've been warned that one of them is a bit of a minefield, but that wasn't one that I fancied anyway.
Reply 991
Turdburger
Quite tempted if im way above 60 to join a physical group and play on the pc for 3 hours a day rather being in a lab for 12 hours a day.

*shudder*

... physical... for a whole year.
Practical Organic chemistry is just effort.
Reply 993
EierVonSatan
Dunno, I could do with a year long break from columns.

Understandable... but physical!?

Everybody I know doing physical chemistry seems to spend half their lives buggering about with lasers.
Reply 994
EierVonSatan
Dunno, I could do with a year long break from columns.

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I spent the last year running kinetic experiments on a UV machine and drinking barrels of coffee to kill the time between changing samples. Despite my hatred of columns I'd kill for one... I've done no synthesis in so long! :frown:

No doubt I'll be eating those words this time next year. "The columns... the columns! Esmeralda! Sanctuareeeee!"
My friend doing theoretical claims he needs to know next to no chemistry, just how to programme computers to tell supercomputers somewhere to do some massive integrals. He works in the middle of the night as thats when these supercomputers are least busy
Reply 996
Turdburger
My friend doing theoretical claims he needs to know next to no chemistry, just how to programme computers to tell supercomputers somewhere to do some massive integrals. He works in the middle of the night as thats when these supercomputers are least busy

Who's he working with?
cpchem
Who's he working with?

Mark Wilson
Reply 998
Turdburger

hey thanks for the rep.. i just realised :o:

It went pretty well (i hope). Also.. it was pretty much exactly the same as the specimen paper i tried the night before about n phenylethanamide. I'm so glad i clarified the method with you, I wrote about washing in solvent and about not using the buchner for hot filtrate. My teacher will probably think :eek: lol as that wasn't mentioned in class.
Sahds
hey thanks for the rep.. i just realised :o:

It went pretty well (i hope). Also.. it was pretty much exactly the same as the specimen paper i tried the night before about n phenylethanamide. I'm so glad i clarified the method with you, I wrote about washing in solvent and about not using the buchner for hot filtrate. My teacher will probably think :eek: lol as that wasn't mentioned in class.

TBF she probably wont know unless she was a research organic chemist. :p:

Latest