The Student Room Group

Would you have complained ?

Hey!

I know this sounds extremely petty but I wanted to know how other people would react in this situation.

I went to Aldi earlier today, I never normally go there but I needed something and it was the closest shop to me (my life is extremely exciting, I know) and I was served by this guy. He scanned my items through and he had to put in a code for 1 of my items, I noticed that he had put the code in for a completely different item. He charged me for something to do with a plant? and I was buying something completely different, so I told him and he didn't listen to me, so I told him again and he said he didn't understand me. So I just thought whatever, the item I was buying was £1.50 and the item he put on cost £1.99 and I couldn't be bothered as the queue was long.

Then he came to give me my change and he said I have no 10p's so you will have to accept £5.03. I told him he needs to get me my 10p (I did feel a bit embarrassed asking him to get my 10p) but the way he said it to me was rude. He then told me that I need to speak to manager, that's exactly how he said it 'you need to speak to manager'. So I spoke to manager and he refunded me :redface: which was actually really embarrassing, I didn't care about the money it was more the fact that if I go to a shop or a well known shop I expect to be given the correct change and not to be conned out of money.

As the manager was refunding me on a different till, I noticed the man who served me was laughing with another customer (about me) and I did kick off a bit, I asked him what was so funny and the customer said ''it's just something pence love'', me and the customer exchanged a few words or rather shouted and I don't think I will ever set foot back in Aldi ever again just out of pure embarrassment.

Was I being petty? It annoyed me a lot, the man who served me spoke basic English, couldn't even understand what I was saying half the time.

Would you have complained?
(edited 10 years ago)
Most certainly... Like you said yourself, it's not the fact that your 10p short, it's the principle of it and the poor customer service. It makes you wonder what kind of training these people receive, I myself work part time in a supermarket, and we would never "not have any 10p's"! I suppose, hypothetically, if it did happen for some reason, everyone I know there would be very apologetic by nature and would call a supervisor over and ask them to fetch the extra change (this way the person at the till can stay with the customer).
Ignorance of the English language is no excuse, if a person does not understand the language to a competent level, Aldi should not have employed the person (I have strong feelings about people immigrating/working here if they can't fully understand what people say to them, but that's a different story).
So in short, yes, you were completely in the right, as the customer always is, and we're not being petty! I think that this https://customerservice.aldi.co.uk/contact may be of use to you?
Yes I'd have complained. I would have complained about the £1.50 thing being £1.99 as well. It might be only a few pence but why on earth should you be ripped off for any reason by a supermarket?
Reply 3
I never shop at Aldi, lol. Not only because of the horrendously bad quality of the products there but also cos it just sucks.
Original post by Reeeeyah
Hey!

I know this sounds extremely petty but I wanted to know how other people would react in this situation.

I went to Aldi earlier today, I never normally go there but I needed something and it was the closest shop to me (my life is extremely exciting, I know) and I was served by this guy. He scanned my items through and he had to put in a code for 1 of my items, I noticed that he had put the code in for a completely different item. He charged me for something to do with a plant? and I was buying something completely different, so I told him and he didn't listen to me, so I told him again and he said he didn't understand me. So I just thought whatever, the item I was buying was £1.50 and the item he put on cost £1.99 and I couldn't be bothered as the queue was long.

Then he came to give me my change and he said I have no 10p's so you will have to accept £5.03. I told him he needs to get me my 10p (I did feel a bit embarrassed asking him to get my 10p) but the way he said it to me was rude. He then told me that I need to speak to manager, that's exactly how he said it 'you need to speak to manager'. So I spoke to manager and he refunded me :redface: which was actually really embarrassing, I didn't care about the money it was more the fact that if I go to a shop or a well known shop I expect to be given the correct change and not to be conned out of money.

As the manager was refunding me on a different till, I noticed the man who served me was laughing with another customer (about me) and I did kick off a bit, I asked him what was so funny and the customer said ''it's just something pence love'', me and the customer exchanged a few words or rather shouted and I don't think I will ever set foot back in Aldi ever again just out of pure embarrassment.

Was I being petty? It annoyed me a lot, the man who served me spoke basic English, couldn't even understand what I was saying half the time.

Would you have complained?

Yes it is petty but I would have complained. I expect to get a good service in establishments where I spend my money especially for the £1.50 getting charged £1.99. I mean there were probably unseen reasons to his reaction to the situation but I think it is still unacceptable seeing as he was in contact with a costumer at the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Damn straight I would have complained! It doesn't matter how much it is, and the fact you were over charged, I would have taken that up with the manager too. If they did this to everyone who went through the till, they'd make a decent profit. I'd also have taken up the fact, that if the guy serving couldn't understand you, then he should not be working with customers. Everyone should check their receipts when they are by the checkout anyway, as in a shop where you can get cashback, the person on the till could put In that you want it when you don't and take it out for themselves, I know of an instances when this has happened.
Reply 6
Original post by redbull55
I never shop at Aldi, lol. Not only because of the horrendously bad quality of the products there but also cos it just sucks.
Me too. It's awful, and really not all that much cheaper either.
Reply 7
I would have complained, more so about his behaviour than the money. He sounds so rude. You did the right thing, OP.
Reply 8
Yeah I would've

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I would have complained, and told the manager he overcharged you in the first place but refused to even acknowledge it. Usually I've had good customer service in Aldi, but when a shop does provide shocking customer service I refuse to go there again, at least until I inevitably forget about it :lol:
you did right the right thing OP

i would have complained.

Would complained about his attitude, his rudeness towards me- not good customer service!

Would have made it very clear that's about principle and not about money

and that other rude customer (it's only a pence, love), i'd have started laughing at them and said "people are gonna walk over you, because you obviously dont have any principles". Well done for having a go at that idiot.

so far, not seen one poster say they wouldnt complain. Feel confident that what you did was perfectly rational.

Quick Reply

Latest