The Student Room Group

I feel like I haven't learned anything in my BTEC. Should I complain?

I'm one year through my BTEC level 3 engineering course, and I feel like I've barely learned anything useful.

Most lessons just seem to be the teacher saying "copy down what I've written but change the numbers to the ones in your assignment". We don't seem to learn the theory behind anything, the teachers just care about us getting our assignments in and that's it.

I was ok with this initially, but now I feel if I went into an engineering job I would have no clue what to do. I don't feel like I've picked up much information at all throughout the year.

Is it worth complaining about this? I don't know if my situation is typical, maybe all BTEC courses are like this?
Original post by ChrisM35
I'm one year through my BTEC level 3 engineering course, and I feel like I've barely learned anything useful.

Most lessons just seem to be the teacher saying "copy down what I've written but change the numbers to the ones in your assignment". We don't seem to learn the theory behind anything, the teachers just care about us getting our assignments in and that's it.

I was ok with this initially, but now I feel if I went into an engineering job I would have no clue what to do. I don't feel like I've picked up much information at all throughout the year.

Is it worth complaining about this? I don't know if my situation is typical, maybe all BTEC courses are like this?

BTECs shouldn't be like this anymore (the old QCF was a bit like this). For the new 2016 RQF courses teachers MUST teach all of the theory for at least one learning aim for each unit and ensure learners are suitably prepared before issuing the assignment (they can set mocks etc where they can say change the numbers at this stage, but not for the actual assignments). They then teach the next learning aim and set the assignment and so on. Some units will have 2 or 3 assignments, which you can check in the specification; https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Engineering/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/spec-btec-nat-eng-extdip.pdf
If you have evidence that they are doing this, you firstly need to complain to the Head of Department and if not satisfied with the response, you can pass it to the BTEC Quality nominee in the centre.
Only if still not happy at this stage, can you complain to Pearson (BTEC) https://support.pearson.com/uk/s/qualification-contactus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending