The Student Room Group

Gcse history

How do you revise for history? I find that even if I learn all of the facts I cannot construct a good essay? (I do AQA History btw) I have no idea how to get an A* in it...
Original post by dxoxo
How do you revise for history? I find that even if I learn all of the facts I cannot construct a good essay? (I do AQA History btw) I have no idea how to get an A* in it...

There is a lot of exam technique in History, but I think the most important tip I can give is "Answer the question". You can construct the most intricate and complex essay with the most incredible amount of historical detail but if you're not answering the actual question, you're not going to get the marks. If you look at the mark schemes (which I strongly suggest you do), you'll see that you don't actually need to give an extremely sophisticated analysis. This is the stumbling block for a lot of the top students who know all the facts, but get too 'enthusiastic' and roll off a brilliant essay which, unfortunately, does not answer the question fully and thus doesn't get full marks.

Quick Reply

Latest