The Student Room Group

rant about public transport

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Arriva buses here in Hemel Hempstead have a problem, they can't switch off the radiator (over-flow of hot water from the engine). Soit's 30-something degrees, putside, hotter behind glass and you are stuck in a queue with even more heat at your feet with sweaty people and noisykids & teenagers.

That's why I only use them if my car is being serviced.

+ they charge over £2 for a return to the town centrewhich is more than it would cost to drive a car there & back.
No wonder I never see one more than half-full.
Stick Man
On local trains there are a couple of ways I save money (this is for Northern Rail, so it may ot work elsewhere):

: Don't buy on the train, buy at the ticket office. This is often cheaper.
: On local trains a return is usually cheaper than two singles.
: Get a railcard.

Between these a £7.90 return to Newcastle can go as low as £3.25 for me :smile:

Isn't this what you're meant to do? If you buy on the train they charge you more because you're not meant to buy on the train... a return is meant to be a cheaper option than two singles... and railcards are meant to be used if you're going to be saving more than you spend on them. :confused:
Reply 22
cielo
yeah. tho, if you wanted to get the tube say to i dunno, green park for lunch or something, getting it at 10pm would slightly defeat the idea of lunch?:p: but yeah, tis true.

Not entirely.
I know the system inside out as I've travelled on it since I was a lil kid. I have got to know the wierdest secrets. There are still inspectors at midnight and closing time. But its a 50/50 chance whether the gates will be open to the side. What they tend to do is keep the barriers closed. When people can't get throught they think they are stuck and hope that the gate is open to the side; which it almost always is if there is no inspector(s).

I have pretty much got to know inspectors at so many of the stations that I don't need to pay for a sodden thing :biggrin: apart from going to Queen Mary in Mile End where I ended up in a brawl with one of them over his manners :mad:
Reply 23
walshie
Not entirely.
I know the system inside out as I've travelled on it since I was a lil kid. I have got to know the wierdest secrets. There are still inspectors at midnight and closing time. But its a 50/50 chance whether the gates will be open to the side. What they tend to do is keep the barriers closed. When people can't get throught they think they are stuck and hope that the gate is open to the side; which it almost always is if there is no inspector(s).

I have pretty much got to know inspectors at so many of the stations that I don't need to pay for a sodden thing :biggrin: apart from going to Queen Mary in Mile End where I ended up in a brawl with one of them over his manners :mad:

yeah, but my point was having lunch at 10pm is a little, well, odd?
Reply 24
Aaargh, now I have to go suffer on a hawt bus. Boo. :frown:
Reply 25
cielo
yeah, but my point was having lunch at 10pm is a little, well, odd?

True. Unless you're a hooker :p:
generalebriety
Isn't this what you're meant to do? If you buy on the train they charge you more because you're not meant to buy on the train... a return is meant to be a cheaper option than two singles... and railcards are meant to be used if you're going to be saving more than you spend on them. :confused:
As I said, those are for Northern Rail so they don't count for everyone.

: A lot of stations around here have only part-time ticket offices, so not many people think to get a ticket beforehand
: For slightly longer journeys two Value Singles are often cheaper than a Standard Return (as there is no such thing as a Value Return): this doesn't apply to many local trains.
: Railcards are generally only used by people who go on longer journeys and most people don't realise that saving £1-£2 on a weekly basis will cover the cost of the card sooner than they think.
Reply 27
I used to hate public transport coz I had to catch a train twice a day since I was 11 to get to school and they were always delayed [sometimes by 45 mins on a night, sooo annoying]. But since going to uni I don't mind it - use buses all the time and in Liverpool they've just got loads of new buses which are quite nice.

Public transport is crap in the UK though, the government want more people to use it but they leave it in a crappy, minging state of delays and uncleanliness. eew. I was in London the other day and the underground was just minging, sooo hot everyone was like dripping in sweat it was proper gross.
Reply 28
walshie
True. Unless you're a hooker :p:

haha, yeah, and i doubt looking like they do, would want to go on the london underground looking like, well, cheap WHORE. haha, yeah, people in austrailia probably have brunch at that time of day.
Reply 29
cielo
haha, yeah, and i doubt looking like they do, would want to go on the london underground looking like, well, cheap WHORE. haha, yeah, people in austrailia probably have brunch at that time of day.

:rofl: You're kinda weird. In a funny way. ;thumbsup;
Reply 30
cielo
haha, yeah, and i doubt looking like they do, would want to go on the london underground looking like, well, cheap WHORE.

You'd be surprised! They have no shame ;laugh;
Normally skag heads with laddered tights and a ciggy in their mouth getting out at Cale Tube station at whatever time of the day. Its gone 24 hour :eek:
Reply 31
Charl!
:rofl: You're kinda weird. In a funny way. ;thumbsup;

hahaha, errm, not that weird!! it was just a thoughtful observation, because public transport is incapable of producing thoughtful observations, so mmm, was replacing that. :wink:
Reply 32
cielo
hahaha, errm, not that weird!! it was just a thoughtful observation, because public transport is incapable of producing thoughtful observations, so mmm, was replacing that. :wink:

Basically, in a nutshell.. weird. :biggrin:
Reply 33
walshie
You'd be surprised! They have no shame ;laugh;
Normally skag heads with laddered tights and a ciggy in their mouth getting out at Cale Tube station at whatever time of the day. Its gone 24 hour :eek:

haha, damn those whores. i was reading a mike gayle book the other day and he observed that all the beautiful people got off at camden. never ONCE have i seen someone beautiful get off at camden. all the hot girls flock to notting hill- yeah, last week i think i saw this amazing girl there. unfortunately she wasn't actualy in the train. but yeah, people who get off at camden are normally grungy weridos. but i like camden :smile:
Reply 34
Charl!
Basically, in a nutshell.. weird. :biggrin:

i'm WELL offended now. :frown: *note, i am NOT a chav :p: *).
You're not a chav until you say "lyk".
Reply 36
cielo
i'm WELL offended now. :frown: *note, i am NOT a chav :p: *).

Awww. Weird is good! :biggrin: Oh dear, a weird chav.. can it get any worse? :p: On that noteee, I'm off! Nice chatting to you, see ya around! :smile: x
Reply 37
Stick Man
You're not a chav until you say "lyk".

out of curiosity, where in london do all the chavs hang out? i've only been in the west, camden area and tate modern, southwark area. is there a vicky pollard shrine somewhere? i expect there is.
Reply 38
Charl!
Awww. Weird is good! :biggrin: Oh dear, a weird chav.. can it get any worse? :p: On that noteee, I'm off! Nice chatting to you, see ya around! :smile: x

haha. Byebye. yeah, NOTE. i am not a chav :wink: . chavs wouldn't stand a chance in a public school!
Reply 39
cielo
haha, damn those whores. i was reading a mike gayle book the other day and he observed that all the beautiful people got off at camden. never ONCE have i seen someone beautiful get off at camden. all the hot girls flock to notting hill- yeah, last week i think i saw this amazing girl there. unfortunately she wasn't actualy in the train. but yeah, people who get off at camden are normally grungy weridos. but i like camden :smile:

So true ;laugh;
A typical camden girl has a zillion spots accompanied with loads of piercings in the most unpleasant of places coupled with 10inch high DM's, black hair, black armour and a white facial mask.

Notting Hill is good. Even better is Kings Road Cheslea :cool: and even better is Marylebone of Regents Park ;w00t;

Quick Reply

Latest