The Student Room Group

MPharm placement experiences

I was wondering how current MPharm students are finding their placements. What university are you attending and has your university been helpful in finding placements? How far are people having to travel, is public transport ok or is a car needed? What is the split between community, hospital and gp surgery placements?
Reply 1
Kingston uni 4th year

We do about 4-5 days worth of placement every year. goes up in the later years. so far I got to do 2 hospital placements, 1 GP, and 5-ish community. Mostly, uni organises the placements for us, I use public transport, and so far got placement that are 1hr away. public transport in London is easy tho, if there's not strikes.

I find the community ones the worst. Boring, either worked as a slave or get sent home cuz there's nothing to do. They give us these booklets
Hospital ones are nice. Depending on the hospital. I got St George, and Royal Marsden in Chelsea. Both were really fun and inspiring, learned a lot. Had to do a patient case presentation, which was fun.
Got my Gp placement in a couple weeks.
overall, not much goes on and i don't find them that useful, i guess it's nice to see those environments before Pre-reg. Compared to the other healthcare courses like Med and Nursing not much learning goes on. Nurses actually work full time for free. feel so bad for them.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your input, really helps with an insight to the course. Good luck with the rest of your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending