The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Storthe halls

Anyone staying at storthe?? Duno where to go 😔😔
Reply 1
I live at storthes at the minute if you have any questions! I'd really recommend it for first year!!
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
What is the condition of the place like? ie any damp, r electrics alright etc....
One person on another thread said that storthes hall smells??....erm have u come across this or dya think it might of been like an odd occasion?
Is storthes hall kept in good keeping like cleanlyness etc?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by partyrockchick
What is the condition of the place like? ie any damp, r electrics alright etc....
One person on another thread said that storthes hall smells??....erm have u come across this or dya think it might of been like an odd occasion?

Personally I was really impressed with it! I think the bad reports you hear are only the odd person! Nowhere I've been at Storthes smells and as long as you open the window after you've had a shower to let the moisture out you won't get damp :smile: I went to Storthes with very low expectations due to all the bad things I'd heard about it but to be honest I love it and don't want to move out now!
Thats good then and ahh right, yeh thats a good tip, probs wudnt think of that. How did you find the rooms for space? As when I went for a viewing wasn't sure on the space available within the Standard En-suites as in like whether there would be enough storage in room.

Original post by BECMED
Personally I was really impressed with it! I think the bad reports you hear are only the odd person! Nowhere I've been at Storthes smells and as long as you open the window after you've had a shower to let the moisture out you won't get damp :smile: I went to Storthes with very low expectations due to all the bad things I'd heard about it but to be honest I love it and don't want to move out now!
Reply 5
Thats good then and ahh right, yeh thats a good tip, probs wudnt think of that. How did you find the rooms for space? As when I went for a viewing wasn't sure on the space available within the Standard En-suites as in like whether there would be enough storage in room.

Well I'm in Boothroyd D and my room is massive! They'll tell you that all the room are the same size but they do seen to vary because the one I looks round when I applied was slightly shorter! Storage is great :smile: I have a big under bed drawer, 3 drawers built into my desk, a wardrobe which is half hanging space half shelves and a large double shelf on the wall! I also have my own set of plastic drawers that I bought and with that I have more than enough space! I don't really have any pics at the min but I can send you some when I go back after Easter if you want?
That sounds good then :smile:, and ah was wondering regarding under bed, thats quite good. yeh, i suppose it might be dependent on how they have arranged each room as well maybe? like where desk n bed goes. Well im planning on visiting Huddersfield sometime next week to try n look round as many accommodation as can, depeding if i get travel n book viewings sorted in time and if you don't mind, yeh :smile:

Original post by BECMED
Well I'm in Boothroyd D and my room is massive! They'll tell you that all the room are the same size but they do seen to vary because the one I looks round when I applied was slightly shorter! Storage is great :smile: I have a big under bed drawer, 3 drawers built into my desk, a wardrobe which is half hanging space half shelves and a large double shelf on the wall! I also have my own set of plastic drawers that I bought and with that I have more than enough space! I don't really have any pics at the min but I can send you some when I go back after Easter if you want?
Im finding Storthes hall quite confusing on what to go by lol, as seems like half love it and then other half dont o.O...think best idea is to have a look round before deciding and maybe asking questions when im there. Apart from the distance n bad reviews (obv), i like the sound of storthes hall, its just the bus journey that puts me off the most. How have you found the bus journeys so far? as some people have said that it is crammed :tongue:

Damp in pretty much every block I have been in.

Original post by BECMED

Leaving your shower open to prevent damp is lies. I had a throat and chest infection from the damp underneath my bed that I didn't know I was lying on top of but you probably saw that on the storthes hall page on facebook if you are on it along with everybody elses complaints of damp. It's a structural problem and the rooms are not properly ventilated, opening your window is not a substitute for a vent. I know some people do genuinely like it at storthes but I and everyone I know that lives there think it is an absolute hovel which is why I'm letting people know on here, a couple of people in 1400 really isn't enough is it, I'd rather people avoided the experience I've had.
Reply 9
Original post by victoriajackson
Damp in pretty much every block I have been in.

Leaving your shower open to prevent damp is lies. I had a throat and chest infection from the damp underneath my bed that I didn't know I was lying on top of but you probably saw that on the storthes hall page on facebook if you are on it along with everybody elses complaints of damp. It's a structural problem and the rooms are not properly ventilated, opening your window is not a substitute for a vent. I know some people do genuinely like it at storthes but I and everyone I know that lives there think it is an absolute hovel which is why I'm letting people know on here, a couple of people in 1400 really isn't enough is it, I'd rather people avoided the experience I've had.

Opening your window to get rid of the damp is not lies that's very rude of you to say such a thing! Yeah I do seem to pick up coughs and colds and stuff quicker being at Storthes but people getting Ill is mostly due to their lifestyle! It's well known that students always get chest infections, your body doesn't like all the late nights and drinking and the poor diet it may be put through! Just make sure you look after yourself and eat lots of fruit and veg as you may not be getting all the right vitamins in your diet - especially I you drink lots! I'd take a multivitamin supplement if I were you! :smile:
Reply 10
Im finding Storthes hall quite confusing on what to go by lol, as seems like half love it and then other half dont o.O...think best idea is to have a look round before deciding and maybe asking questions when im there. Apart from the distance n bad reviews (obv), i like the sound of storthes hall, its just the bus journey that puts me off the most. How have you found the bus journeys so far? as some people have said that it is crammed :tongue:

Yeah the bus journeys are a massive pain simply due to the time it takes, especially in rush hour as it can sometimes take 40 minutes!! And yeah it is crammed at the start of the year so make sure you're getting an early bus but as the year goes on it eases off :smile:
Original post by BECMED
Opening your window to get rid of the damp is not lies that's very rude of you to say such a thing! Yeah I do seem to pick up coughs and colds and stuff quicker being at Storthes but people getting Ill is mostly due to their lifestyle! It's well known that students always get chest infections, your body doesn't like all the late nights and drinking and the poor diet it may be put through! Just make sure you look after yourself and eat lots of fruit and veg as you may not be getting all the right vitamins in your diet - especially I you drink lots! I'd take a multivitamin supplement if I were you! :smile:

It is lies and it's not rude to say so, I had damp all under my bed and desk and I always open my window, shut the bathroom door and leave the extractor on, care to explain why even though follow thay advice o still ended up with damp so bad it made me ill?. They do not have a vent inside the room and there is damp in the walls that has nothing to do with any moisture from the shower it is a structural problem. Even so it would not be able to cause damp under the bed which is what was causing my throat and chest infection nothing to do with my diet or lifestyle I never got ill until I came to live at storthes and it has nothing to do with closer proximity to more people.

Suggesting I don't look after myself is rude I do look after myself and I take multivitamins as well as eating fruit and veg. Don't try and blame storthes dirty conditions on me when the doctor told me the damp was the cause of my illness. I had to leave my flat for a week so I could have some hope of recovering until the lazy idiots could be bothered to come and sort it out, by the time I found out about the damp my throat and tonsils were so swollen I couldn't swallow and I could barely breathe. Some people have been moved because their rooms are too unsafe to live in. I want to warn people of this, fair enough you enjoy it but don't say damp isn't a massive issue when everyone I know has damp in their rooms.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending