The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Accomodation at Cardiff uni

Hi, I have been offered an MEng at Cardiff, being an international student I will be able to come to UK only by Sep 2024. Could I get some insights on accommodation? Gordon hall is supposed to be closest to the Eng department- but someone on this forum said they were asked to avoid it? Any inputs? Thank you.
Hi there! I would say if Gordon Hall feels like your only option, try not to worry too much, opinions on student accommodation tends to fluctuate person to person. Whilst I have not lived in Gordon Hall myself, the Cardiff accommodation website is quite accurate in how it is. You could have a go at looking at reviews online on other sites as well - websites such as StudentCrowd helps me often to make a decision.

If you decided Gordon Hall wasn't for you, there are many other student accommodation close to the engineering building. In terms of university-owned accommodation, Senghennydd Court/Hall is still really only an 8min walk.

There are also many private halls based near city center, but also a very short walk to the engineering building. Accommodation such as Adam Street Gardens, West Wing, Eclipse, The Neighborhood, etc. These halls are more luxurious, but they tend to be a lot more expensive than university halls.

Hope thats helped,

~ Fatiha, Cardiff Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rs05in
Hi, I have been offered an MEng at Cardiff, being an international student I will be able to come to UK only by Sep 2024. Could I get some insights on accommodation? Gordon hall is supposed to be closest to the Eng department- but someone on this forum said they were asked to avoid it? Any inputs? Thank you.
Hi, I also will be on the same course as you! After reading the reviews I quickly ruled out Gordon Hall but I understand that the others are far more expensive. Other than Gordon the only halls that are close to the engineering buildings with ensuites are Senghennydd Hall and Adam Street Gardens however this is private through unite. I think the private accommodation is a lot nicer but i am worried about being a first year in private accommodation and also the pricing. So I'm really stuck on which one to pick too!
Reply 3
I originally thought Gordon Hall would be ideal
but posts on Facebook have mentioned
kids being mugged in front of the hall, having wallets and phone stolen. I submitted my applications for the Senghenydds and if I don’t get either one, my parents have agreed that I can look into private housing, we’ve done our research and have a list. Fitzalan is right across the street from the engineering building so that is top on my list. Adam Street Gardens states that international students without a guarantor will have to pay a year up front.
Original post by iyisir3
I originally thought Gordon Hall would be ideal
but posts on Facebook have mentioned
kids being mugged in front of the hall, having wallets and phone stolen. I submitted my applications for the Senghenydds and if I don’t get either one, my parents have agreed that I can look into private housing, we’ve done our research and have a list. Fitzalan is right across the street from the engineering building so that is top on my list. Adam Street Gardens states that international students without a guarantor will have to pay a year up front.

Yes, I had friends who lived at the Fitzalan, they loved it! 🙂 Most of private halls is near the city center, so a lot of them will be close by the engineering building. I wish you the best with your accomodation searching!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Yes, I had friends who lived at the Fitzalan, they loved it! 🙂 Most of private halls is near the city center, so a lot of them will be close by the engineering building. I wish you the best with your accomodation searching!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Thank you Fatiha! Do you know anyone who has lived in West Wing? Fitzalan has not been responsive at all to our queries unfortunately. Doesn't leave a good impression.
Original post by iyisir3
Thank you Fatiha! Do you know anyone who has lived in West Wing? Fitzalan has not been responsive at all to our queries unfortunately. Doesn't leave a good impression.
Hi there,

I know people that have lived in West Wing and can't recommend it enough! The location is good, you get access to plenty of facilities and it's very clean and modern. I'd definitely recommend looking into it!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 7
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

I know people that have lived in West Wing and can't recommend it enough! The location is good, you get access to plenty of facilities and it's very clean and modern. I'd definitely recommend looking into it!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Thank you! That is great to know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending