The Student Room Group

Should I repeat Physics Unit 1, or just work harder for A2?

I sat for my AS exams under IAL this Jan (International A levels, which kinda has the same syllabus for Edexcel GCE), and well, came up with 245/300 in Physics. I did especially bad in Unit 1 (90/120), while Unit 2 and 3 seem okay (102/120 and 53/60).

I have just started A2 classes, but from what I've heard, it's really hard scoring marks in A2, so people mostly try to get as high marks in AS, repeating if necessary. I really DON'T want to repeat, it looks horrible in university applications, but judging by my marks, would it be really that hard to come up with an A in A2? My teacher suggested I repeat Unit 1 as well, just to be on the safe side, but I don't want to mess up my A2 by working too hard on Unit 1. I have Eco, Maths and Chem as well... I did okay in those: Chem (295/300), Maths (280/300) and Eco (I'm sending my paper for a recheck, but 161/200). What do you guys think?

About university applications, I really wanted to apply to Oxford for PPE, but I'm really disappointed by my AS results. If I decide to repeat one unit over that, it really throws my chances of getting in out the window...
Reply 1
No.

Well its up to you. Do you think you can make up the marks in A2?
Reply 2
You still got an A in physics so Oxford won't know that you did badly in one exam.

I did badly in one of my AS physics exams and didn't bother resitting, I ended up with 242/300 and then worked harder for A2 and ended up with an A*.
If you ask me, I would say 'Yes'! But still I guess you should ask your teachers about it and consult with them to know what is best for you. I think repeating a unit won't hamper your other A2 units, if you are planning to sit for them too. Moreover, repeats usually bring out more marks than their previous versions!
Anyways, best of luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
No.

Well its up to you. Do you think you can make up the marks in A2?

I don't know. :/ I've just started A2, and we've only done Momentum so far... which seems like exactly what we did in O Levels so far. My AS marks has been a real blow in my confidence. I was pretty well prepared in the mocks and for the exam... the paper was just horrible. There's no guarantee the papers will get any easier... in fact, it's an uphill ride from here. I really don't know what to do. :/ I don't WANT to resit... it's just, I still can't get a clear idea of how "hard" A2 exactly is and whether I'll be able to improve my grades or not. AS Unit 1 is something that I'm familiar with... so re-sitting just seems like a comfortable zone.

Original post by alow
You still got an A in physics so Oxford won't know that you did badly in one exam.

I did badly in one of my AS physics exams and didn't bother resitting, I ended up with 242/300 and then worked harder for A2 and ended up with an A*.

Wow, okay. But won't Oxford ask for my results sheet, the marks for the individual units?

And wow, an A* from that? Seriously, good job! :biggrin: You give me hope. =3

Original post by Nora R. Chloe
If you ask me, I would say 'Yes'! But still I guess you should ask your teachers about it and consult with them to know what is best for you. I think repeating a unit won't hamper your other A2 units, if you are planning to sit for them too. Moreover, repeats usually bring out more marks than their previous versions!
Anyways, best of luck! :smile:

Yeah, but re-sitting doesn't look too good on applications, does it? Especially not if I'm trying to get in on a scholarship.

Haha, thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by You-know-who

Wow, okay. But won't Oxford ask for my results sheet, the marks for the individual units?

It's only Cambridge that would ask for that.

I only dropped a couple of marks over the 2 A2 exams :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alow
It's only Cambridge that would ask for that.

I only dropped a couple of marks over the 2 A2 exams :smile:

That's impressive. :wink:

Alright. Thank you! Will definitely put this behind me and try working harder for A2. :smile:
Welcome!! :biggrin:
Oh I didn't know that repeats are mentioned on applications! lol
By now you should have covered most of the A2 course, so how well do you think you will do? Look over some past papers, and see what marks you think you can get after doing all your revision. Also think about how well you still remember AS. You are in the best position to judge this, and there's a lot of advantage to not resitting. But are you good enough at A2 content? It's irrelevant how hard others find it, how hard do you find it?
Reply 9
I don't know. :/ I've just started A2, and we've only done Momentum so far... which seems like exactly what we did in O Levels so far. My AS marks has been a real blow in my confidence. I was pretty well prepared in the mocks and for the exam... the paper was just horrible. There's no guarantee the papers will get any easier... in fact, it's an uphill ride from here. I really don't know what to do. :/ I don't WANT to resit... it's just, I still can't get a clear idea of how "hard" A2 exactly is and whether I'll be able to improve my grades or not. AS Unit 1 is something that I'm familiar with... so re-sitting just seems like a comfortable zone.

Yeah, but re-sitting doesn't look too good on applications, does it? Especially not if I'm trying to get in on a scholarship.

Haha, thanks. :biggrin:

If you know that looking back over the content in that module, that you would find the content easier then retake it.

If it clashes with other exams on the same day then I would avoid it.

But it's up to you..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by President Snow
By now you should have covered most of the A2 course, so how well do you think you will do? Look over some past papers, and see what marks you think you can get after doing all your revision. Also think about how well you still remember AS. You are in the best position to judge this, and there's a lot of advantage to not resitting. But are you good enough at A2 content? It's irrelevant how hard others find it, how hard do you find it?

Actually, no. Under IAL, we are allowed to sit for our exams in Jan, so I will be sitting for my A2 in Jan 15... having just finished my AS this Jan. But I get what you're saying, I think I should cover a bit more of my A2 syllabus before deciding if I want to resit Unit 1 in Jan along with the other A2's. Thank you. :smile:

If you know that looking back over the content in that module, that you would find the content easier then retake it.

If it clashes with other exams on the same day then I would avoid it.

But it's up to you..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you. :smile:
Actually, no. Under IAL, we are allowed to sit for our exams in Jan, so I will be sitting for my A2 in Jan 15... having just finished my AS this Jan. But I get what you're saying, I think I should cover a bit more of my A2 syllabus before deciding if I want to resit Unit 1 in Jan along with the other A2's. Thank you. :smile:

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you. :smile:

No problem and good luck. Can I ask you, which past papers do you use. The ial is new spec right, so hitch exam board do you work from :smile:
Reply 12
No problem and good luck. Can I ask you, which past papers do you use. The ial is new spec right, so hitch exam board do you work from :smile:

We're still following the GCE past papers. There's no change in syllabus for Physics, Chem, Maths, in fact we sat for exactly the same paper under GCE and IAL for Physics and Chem this Jan session. Maths had to be different because it's C1 and C2 under GCE and C12 under IAL. But we're still following the same books and questions.

The real trouble is with Eco, IAL came in and changed the entire question pattern and a few content in the syllabus.
Do you have access to the international maths papers done before the ial spec started this year?
Reply 14
Do you have access to the international maths papers done before the ial spec started this year?

You mean the June 2013 paper? Is it out in the Edexcel website yet? We had it for one of the school mocks, but I don't have a copy of it. It should be out in the website in a few days, wait till the end of March. Or I guess you could check xtremepapers.com
You mean the June 2013 paper? Is it out in the Edexcel website yet? We had it for one of the school mocks, but I don't have a copy of it. It should be out in the website in a few days, wait till the end of March. Or I guess you could check xtremepapers.com

Hey thanks I've got then now.

Sorry for confusion what I meant to ask was that seeing as you are an international student do you have the past international papers for the subjects.
Reply 16

Sorry for confusion what I meant to ask was that seeing as you are an international student do you have the past international papers for the subjects.

Umm. Do we get different papers? I didn't think so. We all sit for the same exam. The past papers we solve are the same ones from the Edexcel website. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest