The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

I never think A level Maths or Further Maths is "harder". There is just more of it.
Reply 21
Further maths is definitely harder than maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Cameron.M
Further maths is definitely harder than maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 23
Original post by Old_Simon
I never think A level Maths or Further Maths is "harder". There is just more of it.

The modern situation is confusing because what they call "Further Maths" is a mixture of "extra maths" (such as matrices) and what we used to call "Further Maths" i.e. extensions to the core topics of integration, differential equations etc.

Some of the M3-M5 modules as well as FP2 and FP3 rely on techniques from C3 and C4, and a candidate without a sound understanding of those core modules will definitely struggle.

On the other hand, I was looking at the first part of an FP1 question the other day that asked you to multiply two 2x2 matrices together, and I was thinking "we did this at middle school when I was about 12 years old" :smile:
Original post by davros
The modern situation is confusing because what they call "Further Maths" is a mixture of "extra maths" (such as matrices) and what we used to call "Further Maths" i.e. extensions to the core topics of integration, differential equations etc.

Some of the M3-M5 modules as well as FP2 and FP3 rely on techniques from C3 and C4, and a candidate without a sound understanding of those core modules will definitely struggle.

On the other hand, I was looking at the first part of an FP1 question the other day that asked you to multiply two 2x2 matrices together, and I was thinking "we did this at middle school when I was about 12 years old" :smile:

Yes you are right. It is a very odd hotch potch of all sorts. For example some applied modules can be used for either Maths or FM - hence my contention it is not always "harder".

Quick Reply

Latest