The Student Room Group

What should I be getting in an A-Level Maths past paper as a year 11?

Hello, I have just done my GCSEs including Edexcel Maths and AQA Further Maths (expecting 8/9s for context). I intend to learn some of the Edexcel A-Level Maths course in preparation for year 12. I did the November 2021 Paper 1 (Pure) to see what I already knew, and I got exactly a grade C (34/100). Is this alright, or should I have done better given that some of the A-Level course is covered by AQA GCSE-level Further Maths? Should I be worried about being able to achieve my aim, an A* at the end of Sixth Form? And should I reconsider taking A-Level Further Maths based on this result? Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Student20070000
Hello, I have just done my GCSEs including Edexcel Maths and AQA Further Maths (expecting 8/9s for context). I intend to learn some of the Edexcel A-Level Maths course in preparation for year 12. I did the November 2021 Paper 1 (Pure) to see what I already knew, and I got exactly a grade C (34/100). Is this alright, or should I have done better given that some of the A-Level course is covered by AQA GCSE-level Further Maths? Should I be worried about being able to achieve my aim, an A* at the end of Sixth Form? And should I reconsider taking A-Level Further Maths based on this result? Many thanks.

Why are you doing this? A mark on one paper tells you very little as you need to do the other papers to get a realistic picture. We don;t even do level 2 F Maths yet get masses of A* for both Maths and Further Maths ... make sure you do your school's prep work over the summer and spend time practising UKMT SMC questions.
Reply 2
I did the further maths endorsement at GCSE and did horrifically, in some tests I got 0/20 for context, but at maths A-Level I’ve been getting As so I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about doing past papers or even learning content beforehand. By the sounds of it you understand content really well and everything will be taught in year 12 so I wouldn’t stress.

Further maths at gcse also didn’t help me in the slightest for a level personally but that might be just me

Quick Reply

Latest