The Student Room Group

Material science at Imperial or chem engineering ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PineapplePol
I'm just saying exactly the same as you though, fine go for it if you have overlooked this as a career option but don't do it just because it's Imperial if you have no real passion for the subject.
Being from Scotland I'm not as Imperial obsessed as many south of the border though.

Well i'd suggest that is due to the difference between a free higher education and one that will cost at least 27/36k :-). You guys have it sweet. Whereas the rest of us have to look at it in terms of a significant investment. An imperial education is likely to reap higher rewards - financially at least - so you can appreciate the dilemma, i'm sure.
Reply 21
To be honest have a good look into materials engineering. However if it's chemical engineering you want to do, take chemical.

Often people don't look at materials because they don't know what it is, despite the fact it underpins every other engineering discipline.

Personally i'd say materials purely because it's what I do, i've not got coursemates who are working for Rolls-Royce, National Composites Centre, Tata Steel, BASF (THE chemical company), and a few others. Others are now doing postgraduate researching for the nuclear industry, the royal mint, developing next gen solar technology and the European Space Agency. So yer we get everywhere.

But if you don't do a subject you can put your all into and enjoy its doesn't matter about the career prospects.

Look into what the modules are, see what you'd most enjoy. (good book about materials engineering is "Stuff Matters" by M.Miodownik -happens to be at UCL though)

Quick Reply

Latest