The Student Room Group

weight gain on the pill

I am thinking of going on the yasmin pill but heard it can cause weight gain. Can anyone tell me their experiences being on it. Also have you experienced any other side effects? Thanks.
Reply 1
I was on the Yasmin pill (ironically that is also my name lol) for a few months before switching to Cerazette and I never had any weight gain. I did have constant spotting and really bad mood swings on it though. I switched to Cerazette because of migraines and girls with regular migraines have to go on a mini pill instead. I gained weight on Cerazette, maybe around 10 pounds. All my clothes still fitted me so it never bothered me too much.
Reply 2
Original post by Yasmin25
I was on the Yasmin pill (ironically that is also my name lol) for a few months before switching to Cerazette and I never had any weight gain. I did have constant spotting and really bad mood swings on it though. I switched to Cerazette because of migraines and girls with regular migraines have to go on a mini pill instead. I gained weight on Cerazette, maybe around 10 pounds. All my clothes still fitted me so it never bothered me too much.

Lol kinda funny. Ah I see I read that progesterone only pills are more likely to cause weight gain so thinking yasmin might be my best option. Do you prefer Cerazette? Can you only be on yasmin for a limited time due to the increase risk of blood clots or is it only a very small risk? Thanks for replying :smile:
The pill doesn't cause weight gain, it's a myth. The only thing that causes weight gain is greediness and laziness.
Reply 4
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
The pill doesn't cause weight gain, it's a myth. The only thing that causes weight gain is greediness and laziness.

Then why does it have weight gain as a side effect on the leaflets that come with it? Many pharmaceuticals cause weight gain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Gaining weight isn't really that common on the pill but the other side effects can cause women to go crazyyy and quite emotional ! I've also heard lots of people feel nauseous sometimes..Haha think about that before you choose to go on :wink:
Yeah you can gain weight on it,but it isn't a given.
Original post by ohdear6
Then why does it have weight gain as a side effect on the leaflets that come with it? Many pharmaceuticals cause weight gain.

Most don't anymore as far as I know. With mine (microgynon) it says there is no evidence for it but there is a chance you may experience temporary weight gain. This is probably just referring to bloating if anything. The only reason someone would gain weight on the pill is because it causes an increased appetite (which I don't even think it does). If it really worries you then just watch what you're eating, it's impossible to gain weight without a calorific excess.

People always use being on the pill as an excuse in my experience. I've gained about a stone since I started the pill 4 years ago, but I know it's nothing to do with being on it. It's because that's what happens when you're not a teenager anymore.
Reply 8
Most don't anymore as far as I know. With mine (microgynon) it says there is no evidence for it but there is a chance you may experience temporary weight gain. This is probably just referring to bloating if anything. The only reason someone would gain weight on the pill is because it causes an increased appetite (which I don't even think it does). If it really worries you then just watch what you're eating, it's impossible to gain weight without a calorific excess.

People always use being on the pill as an excuse in my experience. I've gained about a stone since I started the pill 4 years ago, but I know it's nothing to do with being on it. It's because that's what happens when you're not a teenager anymore.

:badger:
Original post by ohdear6
:badger:

Ok
Reply 10
I'm on Yasmin and never had any side effects and didn't gain weight :smile:
It's less than the weight you gain through being pregnant, or from eating industrial qualities of chocolate when you're on your period :wink:
Reply 12

Well that's your opinion. I'm also taking microgynon but and haven't exerienced weight gain from it, I'm not saying that you will gain weight for sure. But some do, and besides, it's not really your place to label others as greedy and lazy just because they gain some weight.
Original post by ohdear6
Well that's your opinion. I'm also taking microgynon but and haven't exerienced weight gain from it, I'm not saying that you will gain weight for sure. But some do, and besides, it's not really your place to label others as greedy and lazy just because they gain some weight.

"For a few women, the Pill may cause some weight gain, often due to fluid retention, but not significant amounts, and not for most women. Indeed, a review of 44 studies showed no evidence that the Pill caused weight gain in most users. As with other possible side effects of the Pill, the minimal weight gain is generally temporary, going away within two to three months.

The NHS says there's no evidence that the combined pill causes women to gain weight."

I'm not saying anyone is lazy and greedy. I said I've gained weight myself. I mean people use the excuse of being on the pill to gain weight rather than face up to the real reasons and do something about them.
Reply 14
I've never been on it but the only contraceptive which has been proven to actually cause weight gain is the depo injection. The rest just increase your appetite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
It seems weight gain is minimal then. I think I will try it and see how I feel on yasmin, suppose I can always change medication or come off it if I want to.
Reply 16
Sudden weight gain will cause problem so have dietary foods.
It doesn't make you gain weight, but it can increase your appetite and make you crave junk more which is what causes weight gain, it can make you bloat and retain water, but that isn't true weight gain. Your body fat or muscle doesn't increase.

This is not true at all. Lots of things cause weight gain that aren't greediness or laziness. For example, almost all antidepressants cause weight gain and some can cause extreme weight gain, even if you're eating normally and exercising loads.

Quick Reply

Latest