The Student Room Group

side effects on the pill

hiya,
the doctor put me on the pill this year to deal with my pms, however i had some side effects, and came off it for a bit. my pms obviously returned, so the doctor switched my pill. im having the same side effects - disrupted bowels, bloating, sickness, weight gain, fatigue.

unfortunately, the pill definitely helps my pms. im more productive, happier, nicer to be around etc. at the same time, the bowel symptoms are a nightmare, and are starting to interfere with my life too. ive started taking a probiotic in the morning, and switching my breakfast to something with a higher fibre content etc, but the symptoms remain the same.

ive only been on the new pill since november, should i wait a while to see if the bowel problems calm, or switch again? any recommendations? ssri's are also recommended for bad pms (ive had family who used them and found a benefit) but waiting lists aren't great. i understand the pill can be a nightmare, and a lot of it is trial and error, but im wondering if anyones had similar experiences? did things change with different pills, or with the implant?
Reply 1
what bowel symptoms are you having? if it's diarrhoea/bloating, more fibre is only going to make things worse...
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
what bowel symptoms are you having? if it's diarrhoea/bloating, more fibre is only going to make things worse...

constipation + bloating
Reply 3
Original post by lncc
hiya,
the doctor put me on the pill this year to deal with my pms, however i had some side effects, and came off it for a bit. my pms obviously returned, so the doctor switched my pill. im having the same side effects - disrupted bowels, bloating, sickness, weight gain, fatigue.

unfortunately, the pill definitely helps my pms. im more productive, happier, nicer to be around etc. at the same time, the bowel symptoms are a nightmare, and are starting to interfere with my life too. ive started taking a probiotic in the morning, and switching my breakfast to something with a higher fibre content etc, but the symptoms remain the same.

ive only been on the new pill since november, should i wait a while to see if the bowel problems calm, or switch again? any recommendations? ssri's are also recommended for bad pms (ive had family who used them and found a benefit) but waiting lists aren't great. i understand the pill can be a nightmare, and a lot of it is trial and error, but im wondering if anyones had similar experiences? did things change with different pills, or with the implant?

Possible side effects for a small number of people who take the pill can include the following......

irregular vaginal bleeding.

nausea.

sore or tender breasts.

headaches.

bloating.

changes to your skin.

mood changes.

Quick Reply

Latest