The Student Room Group

Am I too old for halls?

I turned 21 back in January and in September I'll be going to university. Due to personal reasons I need to go into halls close to my chosen university. Do you think I'll be a little old to go into them? I don't want to be that weird older guy.
Reply 1
Original post by jefferz
I turned 21 back in January and in September I'll be going to university. Due to personal reasons I need to go into halls close to my chosen university. Do you think I'll be a little old to go into them? I don't want to be that weird older guy.

you think at 21 you will be that 'weird older guy' ? LOL.

You have nothing to worry about. It will be fine.

I'll be 25 when I start in Sept and I will be living in halls also.
No. Nobody will even notice your age, unless you make a big deal of it. There will probably be plenty of people your age, or even older in halls anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by MkGuy
you think at 21 you will be that 'weird older guy' ? LOL.

You have nothing to worry about. It will be fine.

I'll be 25 when I start in Sept and I will be living in halls also.

I guess I phrased it poorly.
I'm just anxious at the thought of sharing with people I have nothing in common with. Everyone I knew who went away to uni went at the age of 18 and left within one year or two to another place.
Reply 4
I'm in second year, me and my housemates are 19/20 and there's one girl who's 23 who ended up living with us. We barely even think about it and are good friends. This isn't halls but think it should be okay
Reply 5
Original post by jefferz
I'm just anxious at the thought of sharing with people I have nothing in common with. Everyone I knew who went away to uni went at the age of 18 and left within one year or two to another place.

Yeah I what you mean. I'm pretty anxious about it atm, but at the same time looking forward to it. At the end of the day you just aren't going to know until you get there, you could as you said 'share with people you have nothing in common with' or you could be sharing with a bunch of people you have loads in common with. One thing you all will have in common is that you have all moved away from home and are starting the next chapter in your life by being at university.

You still have all the people you will meet from your course and all maybe join some societies and meet people you share interests with that way?

I'm sure it will be all ok, everyone is in the same boat when they get to uni.

Best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by MkGuy
Yeah I what you mean. I'm pretty anxious about it atm, but at the same time looking forward to it. At the end of the day you just aren't going to know until you get there, you could as you said 'share with people you have nothing in common with' or you could be sharing with a bunch of people you have loads in common with. One thing you all will have in common is that you have all moved away from home and are starting the next chapter in your life by being at university.

You still have all the people you will meet from your course and all maybe join some societies and meet people you share interests with that way?

I'm sure it will be all ok, everyone is in the same boat when they get to uni.

Best of luck.

I think this is kinda what I needed to hear, just need to convince myself of this. haha!
Anyhow, thank you and good luck to you also!
Reply 7
Second year 27 here! Halls are a rip off, age doesn't matter, unless you are far too mature to hang out with those less mature that is, but you will find that some younger ones can be more mature than older ones, a lot depends on your associates. I lived in halls, nobody said anything, I sensed some hostility form the guys re: life experience and having some chat but made lots of friends, dated all ages in first year partied hard, so enjoy yourself, but don't go broke and make sure by second year you find somewhere that you can get peace when you need it so you can make the most of your education thats number 1. Good luck ",
Original post by jefferz

I think the vast majority of people, regardless of age, go to university with these anxieties. Yet, for most, they prove unfounded. People do generally get on with the fellow students in their halls and often end up moving in together in later years. That you are 21 makes little difference, you really won't stand out much. Despite the age difference you probably listen to similar music, watch similar films and will reminisce about similar cartoons.

So, yeah, try not to worry about it (easier said than done) and look forward to enjoying university.
Reply 9
hell no! im 23 and staying at private/ uni partnership halls at Salford! Im sharing with people who are all younger than me but wer all in the same boat, freshers leaving home for the first time! :smile:
Reply 10
Lived in halls at 25 last year. Never had a problem, it was fun actually. Just overpriced.
Reply 11
Original post by jefferz

At 21 trut me you will be fine! There are going to be many people there older than yourself and younger :smile: what you will very quickly realise is that it doesn't matter.

I personally went to halls at 23-24, made some awesome friends and had fun. BUT, consider your background, if you have lived alone for a while or supported yourself for a while its going to be a very difficult transition because you are not going to be as tolerant to certain things or behaviour.

For a lot of people halls is the first freedom from mum and dad they get - which unfortunately for about 80% of people involves living like pigs, refusing to help clean and agreements over bins and food.

In my flat we had maggots in the fridge at one point when everyone 'went on strike' because there were some people who didn't want to share responsibility in the upkeep of the flat.

Everyone is different, its a fact of life, but halls is an experience you will never forget!:biggrin:
Reply 12
I'll be 31 when I start my course and I have applied for halls. I have been to university before and I was 23 when I lived in halls then and I wasn't the old person there. I loved it and that's why I'm gonna do it again. If you go in with the right attitude you will be fine :smile:
Reply 13
I'm 24 and someone thought I was 19 the other week.
No you are not too old to go to halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's seems to easy to say to someone who hasn't lived in halls but honestly, age does not matter, you wouldn't be able to tell. There is literally nothing to worry about regarding your age :smile: Can't emphasize that enough.
I will be 28 when I go into halls lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
My friend is 23 and stays in halls and is extremely good friends with all of our flat, all of us are 18/19. :smile:
I will be 30 by the time i move in to halls this time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending