The Student Room Group

Most Stable Career?

Okay, I've been trying to aim to become a forensic scientist and I've posted threads similar to this in the past months but seriously, I'm having second thoughts. I've already changed my prospective course from Forensic Science with IT to Biochemistry or Criminology (still with IT) to have a wider range of career but I'm starting to believe that the course isn't the only problem since the career itself is also a bit of a problem. I'm not greedy and I'm not all about money but still, I want a job that can give me a financial stability but also a career that's not too risky. I hope I'm not offending anyone but I've heard too many stories about how bad and how risky forensic science is so I'm starting to believe that being a forensic scientist couldn't do that but I want to do it, I really do but... if it's too risky and if it doesn't give me financial stability.... I can and will change it.

So, I wanted to ask if you guys know the most stable jobs that isn't too risky but gives a person financial stability?
To be perfectly honest, there are very few career paths out there where there are enough relevant jobs for life for everyone graduating in that subject area. Even medicine isn't on that list any more - last I heard there was a shortage of foundation year jobs.

Best advice I can give you is to go and do a subject that will keep several career paths open to you, including the ones you're most interested in. Biochemistry will allow you to go into forensic science (jobs permitting) whereas criminology is a social science that won't lead to a lab-based job (but could lead to, say, work in the probation service). Both degrees can lead to other jobs too, and you should bear in mind that most people completely change their mind about what they want to do whilst at uni.

To improve your chances of getting a graduate job, whilst you're at uni try to find a job (and not flipping burgers etc!). It will give you transferable skills, experience, contacts and possibly even change your mind about the sector you want to go into.

One final note - life takes many twists and turns. The most interesting people I've come across have had quite a few unexpected things happen in their career, and very often to their benefit. If life had happened how they'd envisaged it when they were 18 it would have been much less interesting, lucrative and fulfilling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
To be perfectly honest, there are very few career paths out there where there are enough relevant jobs for life for everyone graduating in that subject area. Even medicine isn't on that list any more - last I heard there was a shortage of foundation year jobs.

Best advice I can give you is to go and do a subject that will keep several career paths open to you, including the ones you're most interested in. Biochemistry will allow you to go into forensic science (jobs permitting) whereas criminology is a social science that won't lead to a lab-based job (but could lead to, say, work in the probation service). Both degrees can lead to other jobs too, and you should bear in mind that most people completely change their mind about what they want to do whilst at uni.

To improve your chances of getting a graduate job, whilst you're at uni try to find a job (and not flipping burgers etc!). It will give you transferable skills, experience, contacts and possibly even change your mind about the sector you want to go into.

One final note - life takes many twists and turns. The most interesting people I've come across have had quite a few unexpected things happen in their career, and very often to their benefit. If life had happened how they'd envisaged it when they were 18 it would have been much less interesting, lucrative and fulfilling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.
But also volunteering can be a really good way to get that much needed experience in fields that are notoriously hard to get in to. If you can't get a paid position it will definitely give you the edge in any sector, employers highly value relevant experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending