The Student Room Group

dont know what to do am i wasting life I keep comparing carers and myself with others

I don't know what to do with my life,

im not really enjoying going out or doing stuff,

I am studying criminology distant learning due to a health issue,

also working in retail two days a week, a ebay business on the side and also was working in the brokering sector on the side ( on leave at the moment )

I don't know what to do next I have so much stuff like im interested in gym, in marketing , in giving people advice, crime related jobs I don't know how to do everything and work out what I want to do or if im just tired of everything

I will be 25 almost 26 when I graduate which I feel is so old and keep comparing careers and myself with others and won't be able to get a graduate job straight away without training, im not sure what to do next I have realised money isn't everything and would rather take a cut in pay check then be unhappy but I do still want a job I enjoy and stable in

when do people find their career paths or do you never
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Maya4955
I don't know what to do with my life,

im not really enjoying going out or doing stuff,

I am studying criminology distant learning due to a health issue,

also working in retail two days a week, a ebay business on the side and also was working in the brokering sector on the side ( on leave at the moment )

I don't know what to do next I have so much stuff like im interested in gym, in marketing , in giving people advice, crime related jobs I don't know how to do everything and work out what I want to do or if im just tired of everything

I will be 25 almost 26 when I graduate which I feel is so old and won't be able to get a graduate job straight away without training, im not sure what to do next I have realised money isn't everything and would rather take a cut in pay check then be unhappy but I do still want a job I enjoy and stable in

Things I would recommend you doing:

Speak to people who are already doing the job that you are thinking of doing (personal trainers, marketing, advisors, law enforcement, etc.) - they can give you a better perspective of what the job is like and whether you would fit in

Look into personality tests for careers e.g. MBTi - these are at the end of the day art forms, so I would take the recommendations with a pinch of salt. However, they give you a good basis to research from

Reflect on whether you enjoy studying certain subjects. Where do you feel you excel at the most? They can give you indications of which area to look into

List out your strengths and weaknesses so you can check to see if certain jobs would fill your needs by looking at the job profiles for those particular jobs that you're interested in.

Ask people who know you (and are ideally working) for their opinion of what they think the sort of jobs would suit you based on first impressions.

Note:
Other than forensic science (needs a chemistry or an accredited forensic science degree) and personal trainer (usually need a gym related qualification with REPs), most other types of jobs you have listed above can be done with a degree in criminology.
If you want to do something related to advice, you would need to be specific about the sector because certain highly regulated sectors (such as finance, law, and healthcare) will require specific qualifications prior to legally allowing you to advise.
Reply 2
Hi there Maya, hope you are doing okay.

As I am only 16, I don't think I'm suitable to give you much life advice. However, I will say one thing. Please don't worry about the future or the past and only think about the present. Take it one step at a time. Time will sort it all out!

You'll be okay, I promise :smile:
Reply 3
I know of people who have completely retrained and started a whole new career path in their 40s. Like at the age of 45 they just decided they'd had enough of their current job, went back to university, got a law degree and started right at the bottom as a trainee solicitor. There was something in the news recently about a woman who recently qualified as a doctor at the age of 53, having previously been a police officer.

It really doesn't matter if you don't find your dream job right out of uni. People change careers all the time.
Reply 4
I can’t say that I have the solution to your challenges, however, I deduce that you need to structure your hobbies and career: you can’t do everything at once but you can spread your activities across scheduled periods in a day.

Comparison is the thief of joy and you should not be in a hurry to rush progress. We’re all trying to pull our lives together whilst presenting a perfect outwardly facade, but in reality most people are also struggling with one thing or the other.

As long as you work towards your dream career by researching and being patient, persistent, and proactive in looking for a training opportunity, nobody else should matter but you.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
Things I would recommend you doing:

Speak to people who are already doing the job that you are thinking of doing (personal trainers, marketing, advisors, law enforcement, etc.) - they can give you a better perspective of what the job is like and whether you would fit in

Look into personality tests for careers e.g. MBTi - these are at the end of the day art forms, so I would take the recommendations with a pinch of salt. However, they give you a good basis to research from

Reflect on whether you enjoy studying certain subjects. Where do you feel you excel at the most? They can give you indications of which area to look into

List out your strengths and weaknesses so you can check to see if certain jobs would fill your needs by looking at the job profiles for those particular jobs that you're interested in.

Ask people who know you (and are ideally working) for their opinion of what they think the sort of jobs would suit you based on first impressions.

Note:
Other than forensic science (needs a chemistry or an accredited forensic science degree) and personal trainer (usually need a gym related qualification with REPs), most other types of jobs you have listed above can be done with a degree in criminology.
If you want to do something related to advice, you would need to be specific about the sector because certain highly regulated sectors (such as finance, law, and healthcare) will require specific qualifications prior to legally allowing you to advise.

Thankyou I really appreciate this !
hope your well!
Reply 6
Thankyou so much I really appreciate this !

hope your well!!

Original post by N4th4nM
Hi there Maya, hope you are doing okay.

As I am only 16, I don't think I'm suitable to give you much life advice. However, I will say one thing. Please don't worry about the future or the past and only think about the present. Take it one step at a time. Time will sort it all out!

You'll be okay, I promise :smile:
Reply 7
Thankyou so much !
All the best to you also,

It is definitely the thief of joy I need to stop 😞😩😁

Original post by LegalTom
I can’t say that I have the solution to your challenges, however, I deduce that you need to structure your hobbies and career: you can’t do everything at once but you can spread your activities across scheduled periods in a day.

Comparison is the thief of joy and you should not be in a hurry to rush progress. We’re all trying to pull our lives together whilst presenting a perfect outwardly facade, but in reality most people are also struggling with one thing or the other.

As long as you work towards your dream career by researching and being patient, persistent, and proactive in looking for a training opportunity, nobody else should matter but you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending