The Student Room Group

Is it better to follow your passion?

I am 15 and not interested in stem subjects, instead I have a passion for art history. I want to do this as a degree but my family probably wouldn't accept me. They are all a stem bunch and I wouldn't fit in, would probably be laughed at actually. I don't really care for their opinions honestly but at the same time I don't want to be a laughing stock and be asked awkward questions.

I've heard its best to keep your passion a hobby rather than a profession and my mum also said that to me, but I will be just miserable if I do and I know it. I am aware art history isn't likely to make me rich but I really want to pursue it anyways.

Is it better to be severely unhappy with your job but financially stable or very happy with life and making an average salary? I'm quite torn on this.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Do what you want. You can't live solely for your family's ideals.
I’m also 15 and I think that as long as you are making enough money to be comfortable and if your aren’t going to be struggling with finances for the rest of your life then do what makes you happy. There is no point doing something your really hate for the rest of your life because the money won’t necessarily make you happier
Original post by meoow
I am 15 and not interested in stem subjects, instead I have a passion for art history. I want to do this as a degree but my family probably wouldn't accept me. They are all a stem bunch and I wouldn't fit in, would probably be laughed at actually. I don't really care for their opinions honestly but at the same time I don't want to be a laughing stock and be asked awkward questions.

I've heard its best to keep your passion a hobby rather than a profession and my mum also said that to me, but I will be just miserable if I do and I know it. I am aware art history isn't likely to make me rich but I really want to pursue it anyways.

Is it better to be severely unhappy with your job but financially stable or very happy with life and making an average salary? I'm quite torn on this.

Doing a stem degree does not mean that you will be stuck with a stem career for the rest of your life. I know people from uni who studied History or Engineering and are working in finance or strategy consulting.

My closest female friend at uni wanted to work in international relations, but her parents refused. She studied Natural Sciences and still ended up in the Foreign Office working on foreign relations. She studied French, Maths and Biology at A levels.

My suggestion is to take a levels subjects in 2 sciences and 1 art history. Then, you do a STEM degree. It is for 3 years and not for the rest of your life. Afterwards, you can do whatever you like. To me, it is reasonable to play safe. You dont want to study art history, end up with no job then blame migrants for “stealing your jobs”. A STEM degree can be a good fall-back option.

Good luck
Original post by agent_duck343
I’m also 15 and I think that as long as you are making enough money to be comfortable and if your aren’t going to be struggling with finances for the rest of your life then do what makes you happy. There is no point doing something your really hate for the rest of your life because the money won’t necessarily make you happier

It is not for the rest of their life. Most people change jobs or careers many times.
Reply 5
Original post by meoow

Art History is very cool! Universities love to see you’re both academic and creative so doing a creative A level like art/ art history would be great!

Money comes and goes quite literally so don’t make that the deciding factor. You will definitely have a hard time doing a degree that you’re not interested in. Stick to what you like and what you’re good at.

The Japanese concept of ikigai might be useful: CB2B1DF4-8FCB-4710-8297-C0FA910E000E.jpg.jpeg
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Doing a stem degree does not mean that you will be stuck with a stem career for the rest of your life. I know people from uni who studied History or Engineering and are working in finance or strategy consulting.

My closest female friend at uni wanted to work in international relations, but her parents refused. She studied Natural Sciences and still ended up in the Foreign Office working on foreign relations. She studied French, Maths and Biology at A levels.

My suggestion is to take a levels subjects in 2 sciences and 1 art history. Then, you do a STEM degree. It is for 3 years and not for the rest of your life. Afterwards, you can do whatever you like. To me, it is reasonable to play safe. You dont want to study art history, end up with no job then blame migrants for “stealing your jobs”. A STEM degree can be a good fall-back option.

Good luck

Would subjects such as psychology and a modern foreign language at a-level suffice? I'm not really good at science
Original post by meoow

Go with what you want honestly, I regret picking my a levels based on what my parents thought was best. Follow your passion and the rest will follow, doing a degree you hate to end up in a job you hate that in this economy doesn't even guarantee a stable income anymore is no way of living
Original post by meoow
Would subjects such as psychology and a modern foreign language at a-level suffice? I'm not really good at science

If you are not going at science, please don't burden yourself with taking difficult subjects.

Psychology crosses the boundary of natural human science and social sciences. I would suggest that you take it and a foreign language, if you are interested and able to do them.

Quick Reply

Latest