The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, its not the same thing. Fish are cold-blooded animals, and some people exclude them from the "vegetarian" rule. It doesn't make them not a vegetarian.

Some people are vegetarian and still eat Haribo - does that make them not a vegetarian?

Plus, some people have to eat fish simply because they aren't getting the right nutrition elsewhere. x
supertramp
He sounds like a tosser. It annoys me when vegetarians and vegans preach to meat eaters, it gives us all a bad name (even the hypocritical ones like me and not). And for the guy to then go and eat duck or chicken would make me want to slap him.
Ducks are almost fish anyway, as they are semi-submerged most of the time. LOL Can anyone remember this from Bill Bailey's stand up? :rofl:
Haha, yeah. "Anything that lives near water, really". Bill Bailey makes me laugh.
supertramp
Haha, yeah. "Anything that lives near water, really". Bill Bailey makes me laugh.
Yeah he's great, *goes to put DVD in*.:smile:
And talking about 'vegetarians', I know someone from school who only ate meat when they were drunk.:rofl:
Bill Bailey is hilarious! He really does look like a Klingon though and therefore kinda creeps me out.
Simulatio
Some vegetarians eat fish because its cold-blooded (I think?) and so they think its ok.

Why? Cold-blooded species can still feel pain, can't they?
regardless of how some people like to define vegetarianism, vegetarianism is officially used (In terms of how it is used by the vegetarian society) as excluding all meat products including fish.

If you run a restaurant, and your vegetarian option is salmon en croute, you can expect a letter from the vegetarian society telling you not to be so bloody stupid.

And bill bailey is a legend!
Reply 27
vegeterians dont eat fish, pescetarians do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarian
Seafood is both stupid and tasty, so lots of 'vegetarians' eat it. Though I wouldn't call them that myself.

Most people have boundaries with what they will and won't eat anyway. Lots of meat eaters won't eat veal, because, aww, it's like a baby cow! That's mean! Pass me the lamb cutlets...ahem.

My sister pretty much refuses to eat vegetarian food, but she was served rabbit once, and she suddenly gained a bunch of principles...
Reply 29
For 12 years I was a pescatarian, this means that the only meat I ate was fish. My reasons were because I never used to like the taste or texture of most meats, even now I will only really eat chicken and fish.
The only time I referred to myself as a vegetarian was on forms for trips away from home where they gave no option for "pescatarian" simply "tick if vegetarian", I didn't want to be given a piece of cow so I ticked the box. I never once called myself a vegetarian verbally though.
Vegetarians that eat fish are not vegetarians, they are pescatarians.
It really irritates me when pescatarians claim to be vegetarian, 'Because it's easier than explaining it all' [but I have no objection to ticking the 'veggie' box on forms if there's no other option]. When I say, 'I'm vegetarian', so many people go down the 'Oh, so you eat fish and chicken?' route. NO. NO, I DO NOT. I am a REAL, HARDCORE veggie who does not appreciate food with feathers or fins.
*strikes a hardcore veggie pose*
Reply 31
Sure, it was annoying having to explain to all the uneducated people in Milton Keynes what a pescatarian is, but if that's what you are, that's what you are. You wouldn't say "I'm a catholic" if you were a protestant christian (if for instance nobody knew what a protestant was).
I should point out that it sounded like I told people I was a vegetarian. I don't. I just say I don't eat meat (unless I'm filling in a form that says vegetarian or non-vegetarian). I don't like the word pescetarian though. Makes you sound like a tourist.
ImperceptibleNinja
It really irritates me when pescatarians claim to be vegetarian, 'Because it's easier than explaining it all' [but I have no objection to ticking the 'veggie' box on forms if there's no other option]. When I say, 'I'm vegetarian', so many people go down the 'Oh, so you eat fish and chicken?' route. NO. NO, I DO NOT. I am a REAL, HARDCORE veggie who does not appreciate food with feathers or fins.
*strikes a hardcore veggie pose*

YES I am exactly the same. When I get asked that I feel like saying no- I just said that I was a vegetarian. I do not like being put in the same category as people who eat dead creatures, of any kind.
Reply 34
Something in my book sums up the neglection of fish quite well... as overall, they are pretty alienated from the animal rights movement. I do not believe that anybody can claim to be vegetarian and still eat fish, although I know a few people who do... there is some technical word, but what is the point? Fish still suffer in terrible ways, and are still killed to put a meal on your plate. Again it is about the equality of animals- all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. There is a saying- 'I don't eat anything with eyes'. I won't pretend to understand the logic in disgarding everything with fur and feathers, but feeling it is okay to munch on slithery scaley creatures.
However, the second point the lady makes is that although people who believe in 'animal rights' will not eat fish, there is no great fight for the rights of fish, which are largely ignored. A wide-eyed calf on a poster, will entice more people to cut her out of their diet than a fish, sadly. I remember going to the lake behind my house last year and giving the fisherman a letter about the cruelty he was causing. He laughed and called me a crackpot, or something.

-I never meant to write this much.
Reply 35
Vegetarian definitions are available on this page:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/definitions.html

People who eat fish and no meat are called Pescetarians as others have already mentioned. People have different reasons for cutting out meat - some health reasons (fish is less fatty i should think than meat), some animal rights (maybe they don't think fish have the same intellegence or are caught in a more humane way, have a better life than factory farmed animals etc.
All people have different views and morals and so therefore eat different diets.

Some people call themselves Veggie even though they eat meat because it is easier than explaining to people what pescetarian means (veggie is a well known word, pes. isn't) or some just like the 'image/sound' of being vegetarian maybe but don't have the want or willpower to be fully free of animal products.

My above comments are just suggestions (i don't say i know why others chose to do things...)

I know i started off by eating only fish, then progressed to no fish either, then no eggs, now i eat eggs which are sold in Waitrose (Approved by The Soil Assosiation).

I never said i was full Veggie, always Veggie who eats fish, then Lacto-Veggie, now Lacto-veggie unless the eggs are bought seperate and approved by TSA. My reasoning was that i thought fish didn't have the same intellegence as other animals. Now i'm anit fish eating too though :smile:

Each to their own.
Claire x
Reply 36
I made the grave mistake of posting on a thread here (when being asked a source of protein for a vegi) and said 'fish'.The worst part being I am vegi, dont eat fish but assumed most vegis do!!
Reply 37
EffingKrazy
but why?? i dont get it

vegetarians do not eat fish.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=safari&rls=en-us&defl=en&q=define:Vegetarian&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

check the definition there.

there is nothing more annoying to me as a true vegetarian than to have some pretenious self-righteous git claim the title when they eat fish.

btw.

:pms:
Reply 38
friendsfreak88
YES I am exactly the same. When I get asked that I feel like saying no- I just said that I was a vegetarian. I do not like being put in the same category as people who eat dead creatures, of any kind.

bravo! that is exactly how i feel.
Reply 39
paintedfolk
Something in my book sums up the neglection of fish quite well... as overall, they are pretty alienated from the animal rights movement. I do not believe that anybody can claim to be vegetarian and still eat fish, although I know a few people who do... there is some technical word, but what is the point? Fish still suffer in terrible ways, and are still killed to put a meal on your plate. Again it is about the equality of animals- all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. There is a saying- 'I don't eat anything with eyes'. I won't pretend to understand the logic in disgarding everything with fur and feathers, but feeling it is okay to munch on slithery scaley creatures.
However, the second point the lady makes is that although people who believe in 'animal rights' will not eat fish, there is no great fight for the rights of fish, which are largely ignored. A wide-eyed calf on a poster, will entice more people to cut her out of their diet than a fish, sadly. I remember going to the lake behind my house last year and giving the fisherman a letter about the cruelty he was causing. He laughed and called me a crackpot, or something.

-I never meant to write this much.

It all depends on your reasons for not eating certain foods. For 12 years the only meat I ate was fish, because I did not like the taste or texture of other meats, fish is quite different in taste and texture.
I have never claimed to be an animal rights activist and never have I been against the eating of meat.

EDIT: However I do agree that if you claim that you are a "vegetarian" (pescatarian), but eat fish and your reasons are those of animal rights reasons then you ought to be slightly more educated. I have had someone tell me before that eating fish is OK as a "vegetarian" because they "aren't real animals".

Latest

Trending

Trending