The Student Room Group

Three books that have influenced you most

This came out of 'Health and Relationship' thread. I was wondering which three books people where most influenced by, even if you don't agree with what's said in them. For me, the three that immediately spring to mind are:

1. Arthur Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Idea
2. Jean-Paul Sartre - Existentialism and Humanism
3. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon - What is Property?
Reply 1
1. George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four: Clumsily told at times but such an important point even now, he was really ahead of his time.
2. W.L. Warren - King John: I know it's a history book but it has influenced me because of it's analytical and objective style while still remaining quite gripping.
3. Naguib Mahfouz - The Cairo Trilogy: Gives an excellent insight into modern Islamic culture in the format of a very readable trilogy of novels.
Reply 2
The Diary of Anne Frank: Anne Frank has had such a big influence on my interests and I've become much more interested in anything to do with the 1930s and 40s since.

I don't think any other books have influenced me as much as that one has. I suppose I could put the biographies Roses from the Earth by Carol Ann Lee and The Biography of Anne Frank by Mellisa Muller on that list too
Jums
1. George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four: Clumsily told at times but such an important point even now, he was really ahead of his time.

I would put that first too. Have you read any of his essays?
http://www.george-orwell.org/l_orwell-essay.html

"Shooting an Elephant" is a good story, and "A Nice Cup of Tea" is fun, if a little intense. "Down The Mine" is a good read, and "You and the Atomic Bomb" is similar in style to parts of 1984 in which Orwell describes the warfare.
The Quran
Sahih Al Bukhara
Sahih Al Muslim
Reply 5
Pikeymikey - thanks, I'll have a look at those this evening.
Reply 6
Pikeymikey22
I would put that first too. Have you read any of his essays?
http://www.george-orwell.org/l_orwell-essay.html

"Shooting an Elephant" is a good story, and "A Nice Cup of Tea" is fun, if a little intense. "Down The Mine" is a good read, and "You and the Atomic Bomb" is similar in style to parts of 1984 in which Orwell describes the warfare.

I have read one his essays titled "The English language in Politics" or something similar. A treat to read.
Aristotle - the Politics
EH Carr - Wht is History? (not a great book but it captured my interest in history as a discipline rather than just a subject at school and helped to determine my uni choices which will influence the rest of my life!)
Audrey Niffeneger - The Time travellers wife (realise thats not a very academic/serious book but it helped me to come to terms with things in my own life and thereby changed the way i look at the world and think about things!)
The colour purple by Alice Walker- just a very moving book about strength and courage
The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood- this was brilliant!
Sadly, Jane Eyre left my mind thinking a long time afterwards!

Lou
xxx
Reply 9
1. Di vinci code influenced me to never read a book again
2. n//a
3. n/a
Reply 10
the bible
the scarlett letter
annnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddd
the truth about forever, by sarah dessen
Reply 11
Hmmmm I've read loads of good books since I was little, but the ones that had the biggest effect was probably when I was young, and the two that stick out was 'The Diary of Anne Frank' and the Helen Kellar book - can't remember the name of it :redface:

I guess when I was about 9 I read rubbishy books, so them 2 stick in my mind :redface:
Reply 12
To Kill A Mockingbird - i first read it when i was younger, and it really made me think about racism and how people are treated, even today in England.

Psycho - That influenced me because i still have nightmares about it :frown:

Animal Farm - That made me much more aware of politics and how comunism just doesnt work in practice.
Reply 13
The Bible
Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species
Nigel Reese's Graffiti series.

Latest

Trending

Trending