The Student Room Group

bad AS grades

I got my AS grades today for chemistry, physics and maths but they were not what i was expecting. I got a C in chemistry, around a B for maths (not quite sure of the exact grade as edexcel only mentioned grades for individual books) and a D in physics. I want to apply for astrophysics in uni but most unis ask for AAA-ABB. How can I save this situation? I was thinking of resitting most of them but I’m afraid I might not be able to do any better since I would be retaking while still being busy with finishing my A Levels at school. Is it possible I could do well enough on my A Levels to bring these results multiple grades up? And how do I apply with these grades, even if my predicted grades are higher, the decisions will surely be affected by these AS grades.
Original post by pinkau
I got my AS grades today for chemistry, physics and maths but they were not what i was expecting. I got a C in chemistry, around a B for maths (not quite sure of the exact grade as edexcel only mentioned grades for individual books) and a D in physics. I want to apply for astrophysics in uni but most unis ask for AAA-ABB. How can I save this situation? I was thinking of resitting most of them but I’m afraid I might not be able to do any better since I would be retaking while still being busy with finishing my A Levels at school. Is it possible I could do well enough on my A Levels to bring these results multiple grades up? And how do I apply with these grades, even if my predicted grades are higher, the decisions will surely be affected by these AS grades.

Are you based in Wales? Do you AS results influence your A-levels (A2)

Or has your school put you through AS levels?
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra
Are you based in Wales? Do you AS results influence your A-levels (A2)

Or has your school put you through AS levels?

I’m based in Europe and go to an english school where we go through both GCSEs and A-levels.
Original post by pinkau
I’m based in Europe and go to an english school where we go through both GCSEs and A-levels.

Okey dokey - so your AS results influence your A-levels. Your predicted grades will be based on your current results.

I would seek advice from your school - it's going to be challenging to reach those A-level grades from your AS results. Re-siting AS alongside A-level is going to put a lot of pressure on you.

It might be worth considering re-taking the year.
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra
Okey dokey - so your AS results influence your A-levels. Your predicted grades will be based on your current results.

I would seek advice from your school - it's going to be challenging to reach those A-level grades from your AS results. Re-siting AS alongside A-level is going to put a lot of pressure on you.

It might be worth considering re-taking the year.

I’m not sure if retaking the year will be possible, the best i can probably do is resit some of the exams ( I will also talk to my counsellors about sending some of them for remarking because they were only one or two points away from the grade above). The thing is, this year in school I was taking an accelerated version of further maths, which I think did more bad than good, so I decided to drop it and take regular maths for my final year. This means two of the books I will be taught in class next year I have already been taught so that will probably take some weight off my shoulders and should make resitting some exams easier, right?
Original post by pinkau
I’m not sure if retaking the year will be possible, the best i can probably do is resit some of the exams ( I will also talk to my counsellors about sending some of them for remarking because they were only one or two points away from the grade above). The thing is, this year in school I was taking an accelerated version of further maths, which I think did more bad than good, so I decided to drop it and take regular maths for my final year. This means two of the books I will be taught in class next year I have already been taught so that will probably take some weight off my shoulders and should make resitting some exams easier, right?

I did an AS resist when I was taking A2 and it did make a difference :smile:

That makes sense about maths - it sounds like you are ahead of the game there - that does take some of the weight of your shoulders for sure. Phew.

Good thinking on the grade boundaries and getting a remark.

Definitely check in with your school counsellors - this won't be the first time they have advised on this and whether they think it is a good idea to apply to uni with your current AS grade profile or one you have you A-level grades confirmed.

Quick Reply

Latest