The Student Room Group

Self help books?

Been struggling a lot recently and heard there's some good self help books out there, but I don't even know where to look. Anyone got any recommendations?
Original post by Graphic Fish
Been struggling a lot recently and heard there's some good self help books out there, but I don't even know where to look. Anyone got any recommendations?

What are you specifically looking for? Self help is like an umbrella term for anything that involves improving yourself. I could write a list of books and end up making a complete essay of it.

Topics can include:

Relationships

Communication and presentation

Time management

Business/financial success

Expanding your mindset

Something very general

The general go to person is generally Tony Robbins, but he can go into a lot of areas. He recently has been focusing on business, but he generally covers a wide area in self development. I have certain opinions about some of his stuff, but he is generally good for most things in self help.

Happy adults by cathy glass
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
What are you specifically looking for? Self help is like an umbrella term for anything that involves improving yourself. I could write a list of books and end up making a complete essay of it.

Topics can include:

Relationships

Communication and presentation

Time management

Business/financial success

Expanding your mindset

Something very general

The general go to person is generally Tony Robbins, but he can go into a lot of areas. He recently has been focusing on business, but he generally covers a wide area in self development. I have certain opinions about some of his stuff, but he is generally good for most things in self help.

Ah yeah sorry, I'm looking for something to help with depression and other related mental health issues
Reply 4

Good vibes good life
How to win friends and influence people
13 things mentally strong people don’t do
Ah yeah sorry, I'm looking for something to help with depression and other related mental health issues

It can depend on which specific area of depression, but to give you a general idea on the self help books that I think might be useful:
The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haid (strictly speaking a psychology book)
Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins
The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman (strictly speaking a philosophy book)

Mark Manson wrote a page on this, and he's apparently pretty good with self help
https://markmanson.net/5-books-for-dealing-with-anxiety-and-depression

If you did a quick google search for such books, you would find a plethora of blogs giving you such recommendations (more than I have read on the subject). The following page seems to contain a number of books that they keep recommending time and time again:
https://parade.com/1183933/kaitlin-vogel/books-about-depression/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending