The Student Room Group

'Rats the size of cats are invading our cities'

If you were freaked out by the ‘mutant’ rat in Sweden last week, you might not want to take a trip to the West Midlands any time soon.

While initially it appeared giant rodents were restricted to the houses of Stockholm, it now seems that rats ‘the size of cats’ are also roaming the streets of Birmingham.
Pest control officer Colin Watts revealed he had seen a rat with a body approximately 14-15 inches long, saying that with its tail it would have been over 2ft.
He told the Birmingham Mail: ‘It was like a small cat.’
Mr Watts also said some rats felt as heavy as two bags of sugar, adding: ‘They’re unbelievably big and heavy when you pick them up.
‘It’s all because of the food around for them in bags. They are definitely getting bigger.
‘We just about keep things under control.’
The city is struggling with a growing rodent problem, with 5,100 rat alerts recorded in the past year.

https://metro.co.uk/2014/03/31/is-the-rodent-apocalypse-coming-rats-the-size-of-cats-spotted-in-birmingham-4684141/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2604157/Rats-size-cats-invading-cities-Two-foot-long-giant-rodents-immune-poison-discovered-feeding-bins-Britain.html

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And not a single photo was seen that day.
15 inches long, good grief! I would run a mile
We need cats the size of cows.
Reply 5
Would you rather fight 10 cat sized rats, or 100 rat sized cats?
Ah so there is, didn't see the edit
Reply 8
They're not the size of cats. They're the size of rats.
Reply 9
these giant rats could be used to feed the people of the West Midlands.
Original post by Reue
Would you rather fight 10 cat sized rats, or 100 rat sized cats?

Either would be pretty straightforward really

Probably 10 huge rats, you could kill one of them with a single kick tbf
Oh that's horrible :frown: :frown:
Good thing I have 3 cats
Reply 12
As long as they aren't in Leeds then I don't mind :smile:.
That's vile :frown: thanks for that :frown:
Reply 14
Kinda surprised that the DM isn't ranting about how these foreign immigrant rats are flooding into to the country and stealing poor British rats' jobs.
Reply 15
Original post by Reeeeyah

They probably are in Leeds..
Original post by Reeeeyah

Well, they are not too far away.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3102460/Invasion-of-the-giant-rats-in-Bradford.html
Jesus Christ . that thing could probably take down my cat , I don't know what i'd do if I was faced with that , probably grab a knife and try go samurai on that ****.

People under estimate rats , these things can jump high as **** and can bite through concrete walls for god sake , imagine if that thing bit you .:eek:
Reply 18
That's a capybara...
Reply 19
Well as a zoology graduate I can assure you that is NOT a rat :tongue:

Without seeing the tail it may also be a rather large beaver, but if it's genuinely from Cambodia that would be weird. I'm still going capybara. A quick google search reveals you can buy them as pets, and the illegal animal trade is big over there. They are more like giant guinea pigs than rats.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending