The Student Room Group

Should we amend the laws on halal meat in the UK?

I think so.

I think a reasonable approach towards this issue would be to outlaw the production of halal production in the UK, but allow it to be imported. When it is sold in the UK, it must be clearly labelled, and retailers which fail to do so will face large fines.

This approach ensures that all meat is slaughtered humanely in the UK (which complies with our laws without the need for exception) whilst still allowing muslim consumers to get hold of the meat they insist on eating.

More importantly, the labelling gives the consumer a choice. Non muslims are not eating inhumanely slaughtered meat without knowing it, and muslim consumers can be sure that what they are eating is halal.

Anyone care to comment?
I think if you really cared about the humane killing of animals you'd be a vegetarian. Speaking personally, I have no problem with eating halal meat and if all meat in the UK was halal meat it would not impact much on my life.
Reply 2
Think there definitely should be some form of labelling - I avoid eating anything Halal if I can.

There's an Asda near me where the fresh meat counter has changed to be a Halal counter - Muslims are meant to be such a minority yet this is happening a lot more regularly...why can't I just get normal meat over the counter... :nothing:
Reply 3
Original post by SmallDuck
I think so.

I think a reasonable approach towards this issue would be to outlaw the production of halal production in the UK, but allow it to be imported. When it is sold in the UK, it must be clearly labelled, and retailers which fail to do so will face large fines.

This approach ensures that all meat is slaughtered humanely in the UK (which complies with our laws without the need for exception) whilst still allowing muslim consumers to get hold of the meat they insist on eating.

More importantly, the labelling gives the consumer a choice. Non muslims are not eating inhumanely slaughtered meat without knowing it, and muslim consumers can be sure that what they are eating is halal.

Anyone care to comment?

A bolt through the head isn't a particularly nice way to go either, even if it is quick. If your problem was really about animal welfare then you'd either be vegetarian, or you'd be campaigning in favour of another form of stunning, such as nitrogen asphyxiation. There's no point in opposing halal slaughter when the more widespread secular forms of slaughter can be just as bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Death is never humane so stop being hypocrites you meat eaters.
Reply 5
Nope. Banning halal slaughter is against religious freedom. However it should be labelled so all customers can choose whether or not they want it.
We should ban this indoctrination

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575724/Parents-fury-pork-sausages-banned-school-menu-replaced-halal-meat.html

Moves to Europe, bans European customs from school in Europe.

The point of avoiding pork is because it doesn't last well in desert conditions. Islam is a desert ideology. Not only is this Europe, which is colder, but we also have fridges which means there is no justification for avoiding pork due to religion.

I want halal meat labelled clearly. Why is it so important that Muslims eat halal, it's hardly human rights violations, it's ****ing food. If it matters that Muslims eat halal, then it is just as important that us non-Muslims have non-halal meat.

Why is it that Jewish kosher or any other religion hasn't been shoehorned into this country this way? I don't recall Hindus demanding beef to be banned from anywhere here.
Reply 7
Original post by SmallDuck
I think so.

Anyone care to comment?

So, you want to ban halal meat on the basis of methods in which the animal is killed? It has nothing to do with re-enforcing the belief that halal meat is a foreign concept, no?

We as a species have been killing animals in similar ways for the majority of our history. Our systematic methods in slaughter houses are probably even less humane. A bolt through the brain allows for the animal to live for a while longer in pain, from what I've read. When an animal is killed in with a sliced throat, it thrashes but is (as far as I know, I could be corrected here) actually dead, while the nervous system goes into overdrive.

So no. There would be a different agenda behind this. It has nothing to do with the poor aul animals.
(edited 10 years ago)
In before the vegetarian chamber militant tells us if we care we should go veggie.

Wait, nm.

I don't particularly care for pandering to religious customs/dogma. If halal meat doesn't meat current laws and standards that's their issue to deal with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending