The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university social and city life?

Hi everyone, I am considering Durham for law due to being on a programme with them which gives me a guaranteed contextual offer of AAB and in which I would not require the LNAT too. However I really like the uni but didn’t like the city much from the small coverage I had of it. Many shops and areas I quite like from central and south london that I like couldn’t be found there like H&M, primark, Zara or even McDonald’s however they did mention Newcastle wasn’t far away so they could be accessed. What is the city life like for anyone who has experienced it and from someone like me who is from the city and i quite like being not too far from it or from my home would you say it’s a good choice ( I love 5 hours away by transport and car to Durham)?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I am considering Durham for law due to being on a programme with them which gives me a guaranteed contextual offer of AAB and in which I would not require the LNAT too. However I really like the uni but didn’t like the city much from the small coverage I had of it. Many shops and areas I quite like from central and south london that I like couldn’t be found there like H&M, primark, Zara or even McDonald’s however they did mention Newcastle wasn’t far away so they could be accessed. What is the city life like for anyone who has experienced it and from someone like me who is from the city and i quite like being not too far from it or from my home would you say it’s a good choice ( I love 5 hours away by transport and car to Durham)?

hey this doesnt answer your question but i am in the exact same position as you. i am current;y deciding between durham and manchester and i loved durham uni but not sure if the social and hight life is gonna be for me
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi everyone, I am considering Durham for law due to being on a programme with them which gives me a guaranteed contextual offer of AAB and in which I would not require the LNAT too. However I really like the uni but didn’t like the city much from the small coverage I had of it. Many shops and areas I quite like from central and south london that I like couldn’t be found there like H&M, primark, Zara or even McDonald’s however they did mention Newcastle wasn’t far away so they could be accessed. What is the city life like for anyone who has experienced it and from someone like me who is from the city and i quite like being not too far from it or from my home would you say it’s a good choice ( I love 5 hours away by transport and car to Durham

Original post by ellievsaville
hey this doesnt answer your question but i am in the exact same position as you. i am current;y deciding between durham and manchester and i loved durham uni but not sure if the social and hight life is gonna be for me

Hiya! I’m also from a relative big city and yes Durham is small. If you like to go for a coffee or tea is a fairly good city since there are plenty coffee shops but if you want to go shopping there aren’t many places you can go. I usually go to Newcastle when I need to go shopping or I just want a bigger city vibe. Newcastle is just 15 mins away on the train.
Night life is mostly in college bars and then people go clubbing, don’t expect amazing clubs! They are ok but nothing special, after a while you will get used to them and normal clubs will feel strange (or at least this is what happened to me). Clubs also shut early, 2 am, which is something I was not used to. I know some people go to Newcastle for a night out and then take the night bus back
Original post by ellievsaville

hey I’m a first year at Durham and I’m from Hertfordshire (Watford just outside London). I live roughly 4-5 hours drive away and 3 hour train ride from Kings Cross. I found that the city is petite which means there’s not a lot around (there actually is a McDonald’s it’s just not close to the city centre, probably a 5-6 minute drive). I’ve always said that going to Durham means I get two cities in one because Newcastle is just 10 minutes by train and the train tickets don’t cost more than £6 ish. There’s so much to do there.
Within Durham there are a few clubs in the city centre also a lot of people just tend to go to college bars and hang out with their friends. What makes it good is that everything is within walking distance whereas in a big city, you could literally spend £10+ on Uber for one trip that takes 10 minutes.
thanks everyone this helps. I think I will end up applying to Durham as a backup in the hopes of LSE or Cambridge having me as they are my top choices I think another con of Durham is how it’s 5 hours away from me also and that is also by train too so it would be harder to come down on a weekend as I would need to pay for tickets etc. Would you say there’s things to do for a Muslim as I’m Muslim so most my time won’t be in clubs? Is there halal food places also that you may know of?
thanks everyone this helps. I think I will end up applying to Durham as a backup in the hopes of LSE or Cambridge having me as they are my top choices I think another con of Durham is how it’s 5 hours away from me also and that is also by train too so it would be harder to come down on a weekend as I would need to pay for tickets etc. Would you say there’s things to do for a Muslim as I’m Muslim so most my time won’t be in clubs? Is there halal food places also that you may know of?

Hello!

There are a variety of Halal restaurants/cafes in Durham (Mainly Middle Eastern/Turkish), and other restaurants/cafes do offer veggie/vegan options as well if they're not halal. As for halal supermarkets, I believe Durham Food Store offers halal meat options, if not then I would suggest going to Newcastle as there are many halal supermarkets available. As for the social aspect, you can join the Durham Islamic society if you're looking to meet other people from your religious background and there are other student societies you can join that are accommodating as well. Most college bars actually offer a variety of non-alcoholic drinks and some even have non alcoholic versions of their college drinks so there is quite a lot to do for Muslims :smile:

Hope this helps!

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest