The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Science with an Integrated Foundation Year (SYLLABUS)

Hello everyone. I will start the Science with and integrated FY in september, so I would like to know if someone has already completed this course, is it too difficult? Does someone know the pass mark to proceed to Environmental Science? And the most important, what are the subjects taken?
Reply 1
I'm also starting this course in September! Would love to know the module breakdown if anyone has it. I've got a vague idea about the 'superunits' from what I've managed to dig up on TSR, but not much else

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Shika222
I'm also starting this course in September! Would love to know the module breakdown if anyone has it. I've got a vague idea about the 'superunits' from what I've managed to dig up on TSR, but not much else

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad to find someone in the same course! :smile:
I have found it in another post, maybe you have read it too, but just in case:

This is the Chemistry syllabus for Foundation Year:
Maths OB2/OC2 - Functions, Differentiation, Integration, Series
Maths ON1 - Logic, Sets, Polynomials
Physics: Matter - Dimensional Analysis, Energy, Thermodynamics, Ideal Gases, Deformation of Solids
Chemistry 1 - Atomic Structure, Bonding and Molecular Shape, The Periodic Table, Isotopes and Radioactivity, Solid State Chemistry, Quantity Calculus, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Gas Laws and Kinetic Theory of Gases, Phase Diagrams
Chemistry 2 - Kinetics, Thermodynamics, Hybridsation, Hydrocarbons, Basic Organic Nomenclature, Isomerism, Aromaticity, Inductive Effect and Resonance, Basic Functional Groups
Chemistry 3 - Advanced Organic Nomenclature, Electrophilic Substitution, Electrochemistry, Polymers
Maths OB2/OC2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation
Maths OF2 - Vectors, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions
Physics: Waves - Simple Harmonic Oscillation, Travelling Waves, Standing Waves and Harmonics, Electromagnetic Radiation, Spectra, Wave-Particle Duality, Radioactivity, Nuclear Reactions, E=mc2

This is a really useful information, I will take it as my guide to quick-check the modules.
What degree do you want to proceed after the FY by the way?
Reply 3
Ah, nice one, I haven't seen this yet!

And either physics or chemistry, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shika222
Ah, nice one, I haven't seen this yet!

And either physics or chemistry, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you take the Physics route, instead of the three Chemistry units you would take an extra two Physics modules (covering electricity and magnetism and 'further' Physics) and a Mechanics module (similar to M1/M2 at A-Level).
Original post by salome95
Hello everyone. I will start the Science with and integrated FY in september, so I would like to know if someone has already completed this course, is it too difficult? Does someone know the pass mark to proceed to Environmental Science? And the most important, what are the subjects taken?

The pass requirement for Environmental Science this year is 50% in each Super Unit. The subjects you take will be the same as the Chemistry syllabus you quoted above except you get to choose between either the 'Matter and Energy' Physics module or the 'Electricity and Magnetism' Physics module.
Reply 6
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
If you take the Physics route, instead of the three Chemistry units you would take an extra two Physics modules (covering electricity and magnetism and 'further' Physics) and a Mechanics module (similar to M1/M2 at A-Level).

Ah, thanks for that. I was wondering whether that would be the case. Guess I have til September to make up my mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
The pass requirement for Environmental Science this year is 50% in each Super Unit. The subjects you take will be the same as the Chemistry syllabus you quoted above except you get to choose between either the 'Matter and Energy' Physics module or the 'Electricity and Magnetism' Physics module.

Many thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending