The Student Room Group

Financial or Computational Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am in a situation where I'll soon be applying to university and I am without a doubt going to be studying maths but I am not sure what course to do it with. I feel that to put me in the best position possible in the future career wise I should go down the financial route. I do enjoy the idea of working in insurance etc but when it comes down to the course I know I would enjoy Computer Science a lot more than the finance but I'm worried about careers afterwards and salary etc.

I am definitely studying Maths, that is set in stone now. But I don't know whether to study it with Finance/Economics or Computational Science. I know I will prefer Computer Science with Maths but I want to be in the best position Career wise once I leave Uni and I just believe the Finance aspect of Maths would give me the advantage. What sort of careers would Computer Science lead me into with what sorts of starting salaries?

If you have any advise please do reply

Cheers, Lewis J W
Reply 1
Original post by LewisJacquesWait
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am in a situation where I'll soon be applying to university and I am without a doubt going to be studying maths but I am not sure what course to do it with. I feel that to put me in the best position possible in the future career wise I should go down the financial route. I do enjoy the idea of working in insurance etc but when it comes down to the course I know I would enjoy Computer Science a lot more than the finance but I'm worried about careers afterwards and salary etc.

I am definitely studying Maths, that is set in stone now. But I don't know whether to study it with Finance/Economics or Computational Science. I know I will prefer Computer Science with Maths but I want to be in the best position Career wise once I leave Uni and I just believe the Finance aspect of Maths would give me the advantage. What sort of careers would Computer Science lead me into with what sorts of starting salaries?

If you have any advise please do reply

Cheers, Lewis J W

You do know there is a difference between
Computational Maths
Computational Science
Computer Science
don't you? Because you just you used them all interchangeably.
No I didn't, shows how much I know about the computer science courses. Don't suppose you could fill me in on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I presumed Computational Maths would just be like the Maths, Computer Science sandwich course so I know there is a difference between that and Computational Science but I though Computational Science and Computer Science were just the same degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I presumed Computational Maths would just be like the Maths, Computer Science sandwich course so I know there is a difference between that and Computational Science but I though Computational Science and Computer Science were just the same degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Computational maths is a field within maths that uses computers to solve complex mathematical problems basically. Degrees with that kind of name are probably maths degrees but with emphis on the computational aspects. I doubt it would share much if any similarity with a computer science degree.

If you think you would enjoy a maths with computer science degree more than a maths with finance degree then go for that because at the end of it, you will still have a maths degree.
Oh right okay, and say I was going into say an actuarial job and I'm a candidate against somebody with a Maths with finance degree, would that put them at a slight advantage?
no, you pre-university goers over think everything. if you've got a mathematical degree, you tick a box. but there are lots of boxes to tick i.e. not being a social retard, work experience etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest