The Student Room Group

A level Maths

First of all, I'm currently a Y12 student and I do A-level psychology, right now I'm thinking of dropping Psychology and taking A-level Maths; I know it's hard and difficult but for those who have prior experience is it worth it ?
Original post by frozen-throng
First of all, I'm currently a Y12 student and I do A-level psychology, right now I'm thinking of dropping Psychology and taking A-level Maths; I know it's hard and difficult but for those who have prior experience is it worth it ?

I like both subjects (and semi studied both), so yeah?

It depends on what you specifically want to do. If you specifically want to do a quantitative degree, then A Level Maths is definitely worth the investment. Qunatitiative subjects include:

Computer science and sotfware engineering

Most economics degrees

Maths and statistics

Some finance degrees, financial mathematics, financial engineering, and actuarial science

Physics (if you have Physics A Level)

Engineering (if you have the appropriate science A Level)

Data science and analysis

A number of healthcare and life science degrees where they accept Maths as a science (usually you would need 2 sciences)

Geology/earth science (if you have another science)

Maths by far is one of the most widely requested subject for degrees, but they tend to be in degrees that do a lot of maths. If you don't intend to do a mathematical degree, then at best it's considered a highly respected A Level.

See the following: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/

Psychology can sometimes be regarded as a "science" for some science/healthcare degrees, but it's definitely a very loose definition and not very common. Psychology is strictly not a required subject, but the odd uni might ask for it for some psychology degrees. For most psychology degrees, you're fine without it at A Level.

In terms of interest, if you really like problem solving and like maths, then yeah it's worth it. If you're not a very quantitative person, probably not. It's definitely not an easy A Level like you said (people with 8s and 9s in GCSE Maths can still find it challenging). It's one of the subjects where you would really need to put in the work in order to get anywhere with it.

Quick Reply

Latest