The Student Room Group

Facebook birthdays-just a like??

So I had a convo' with a friend the other day on this..

Do you think it's rude when people just 'like' your happy birthday message to them, rather than replying with a 'thank' you or something similar?

I personally feel like it's a little lazy of them, but I'm curious to your opinions..?

:birthday:

Scroll to see replies

I don't really care they probably have loads to troll through and to be honest if I'm sending you a message through Facebook we probably aren't that close :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
No it's fine. The like is just to acknowledge you got the message and appreciated it. Repeatedly saying "thank you" would sound just as disingenuous, and it's ridiculous to expect a personal response to every happy birthday.
A 'like' is fine for me. Even a general status as a thank you for everyone is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I suppose so, can't disagree that it's a nice touch mind.
Also a copy and paste 'thank you :smile: ' is a good tip!
Original post by theycallmecurly

Do you think it's rude when people just 'like' your happy birthday message to them, rather than replying with a 'thank' you or something similar?

I personally feel like it's a little lazy of them, but I'm curious to your opinions..?

No I don't think it's rude at all. I think a "like" is fine. :smile:
Reply 6
If it was my birthday, a like to me is if you're an acquaintance. If I'm friends with someone I'll leave a comment. That might just be me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^Hmm ok, seems like a few people I know do it that way

:dunce:
Reply 8
Original post by corax
If it was my birthday, a like to me is if you're an acquaintance. If I'm friends with someone I'll leave a comment. That might just be me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this.

A like is fine.

To be honest my really good friends I would have spent the day with or done something to celebrate, or they would of probably called or text me separately to send birthday wishes.
To be honest, I probably wouldn't remember any of their birthdays without Facebook anyway, and anyone who I particularly care about I will go to see, call, or at least text - "liking" a Facebook post is fine. When I had Facebook I sometimes got 200+ posts and certainly wasn't going to sit there commenting on them all lol - although I always used to say "thanks for the messages everyone".
Reply 10
I don't even like them to be honest
I like each one, maybe a comment for very close friends, then post a thank you status near the end of the day.
Reply 12
In all fairness, I get so many messages from people on my birthday that I would be sat there for a considerable amount of time liking let alone commenting on every individual message. (You'd have to come up with some decent thank you as commenting on 100 messages with the same "Thank You" or "Thanks :smile: " looks a billion times worse than ignoring it!) Not to mention half of the people who wish you happy birthday probably don't give a toss and you don't give a toss about them either...

My birthday is next Thursday (24th April if anyone wants to give me a gift :tongue: ),, quite frankly I'll be deactivating Facebook for the whole bloody 24 hours!
Reply 13
Not interested. I haven't written happy birthday on someones facebook wall in 4 years now. Chances are if they are someone I care about I will see them in person within a few days of their birthday anyway.
Original post by Lord Jon
In all fairness, I get so many messages from people on my birthday that I would be sat there for a considerable amount of time liking let alone commenting on every individual message. (You'd have to come up with some decent thank you as commenting on 100 messages with the same "Thank You" or "Thanks :smile: " looks a billion times worse than ignoring it!) Not to mention half of the people who wish you happy birthday probably don't give a toss and you don't give a toss about them either...

My birthday is next Thursday (24th April if anyone wants to give me a gift :tongue: ),, quite frankly I'll be deactivating Facebook for the whole bloody 24 hours!

haha, that's quite drastic! :giggle:
I always say thank you but I'm not too bothered if they don't because I wouldn't know how to reply to that and I'd just end up liking their thank you
People still write on each other's walls? Wow.
Original post by brightcitylights
People still write on each other's walls? Wow.

I did early today! But status' on the other hand, not anymore! :cute:
Original post by tengentoppa
No it's fine. The like is just to acknowledge you got the message and appreciated it. Repeatedly saying "thank you" would sound just as disingenuous, and it's ridiculous to expect a personal response to every happy birthday.

I agree
Original post by theycallmecurly

I think around 250 people wished me happy birthday on fb last time, most of whom were acquaintances at best. I didn't even like most of the posts. Why would I bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest