The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by presidential_
Its funny how the media has total control of how people think.

Most of them go to help there fellow brothers and sister in islam that are suffering. Im sure sure this would seem like a heroic trait if the word "muslim" was taken out. Yes I do agree there a few nutters that are mentally ill and dont represent islam at all, but they are a very small minority :smile:.

THIS♥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt
To the people going abroad to fight, how can you possibly choose a side ?

Assads, or alqaeda backed chemical attack using rebels? Or other fringes who are inter-linked?

The real people behind it: Saudi, the US, and israel(and ofcourse alqeada). All working together for once.

Lool

Al Qaeda based groups are working with Israel, Saudi and the US?

I think you've made my day today.

I assume your talking about the Mujahideen(JAN, ISIS etc), and if you are, then your the biggest joke on this forum.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do we ban British citizena from working as paid mercenariea in foreign conflicts? No
Why ban them for doing it for free?
Original post by Lady Comstock
MI5 can't catch every opportunity; isn't it dangerous just to leave them be in the hope that MI5 will catch every sort of terrorist planning/involvement?

What do you propose the gov't does then?

As the above,we've supported many "rebel" forces in the past, and as much as Im willing to criticise Syria, it was only today that we saw from a UN report that it was the "rebels" and not the gov't who had control of the chemical weapons ie: deliberate misinformation intended to destabilise a gov't

For this reason, I wouldn't say that the people in Syria are necessarily "terrorists" because they're not doing the typical Al Qaeda stuff - more resisting invasion on false pretences

That's not to say I support them.Hell no! Im just playing devils advocate. Im also very anti war, so I wouldn't support war as well
Without outside intervention or sponsoring of rebels there wouldn't even be a civil conflict to this level. A lot of the 'rebels' aren't even syrian, and the majority of their sponsoring, intervention and funding has come from outside.

Please, China is a dictatorship.

I am no fan of Assad, but under his regime, christians shia and sunni muslims, alawites, all lived together in peace. Since the influx of alqaeda extremists, there has only been intolerance bloodshed and hatred.

[video="youtube_share;R53W_3sAv8A"]http://youtu.be/R53W_3sAv8A[/video]

Ron Paul himself says what the US's ulterior motives are.

Notice that I said "in principle". I would be in principle more in favour of occupation of China by the US than by the Chinese Communist party. In practice, doing that would be a stupid idea because the CCP has nuclear weapons and a UN security council seat that it never deserved.

The Assad regime has tortured people. It has sponsored people like Hezbollah in order to commit terrorist atrocities. It is one of the most unfree countries in the world, politically. You can say that it may be futile trying to improve this situation, but please don't pretend that it is not a stain on the rest of humanity. The problem is, there is no widespread movement towards liberal democracy in the region, apart from Israel. I am not arguing for funding Islamist rebels; that was a really really dumb thing to do. The most positive thing that could happen to Syria right now is for the US to come in, delete Assad, delete the Islamists and rule it directly for a while, until it changes. Undoubtedly many so-called liberals would not be in favour of that, and neither would I if there were a better alternative. Trouble is, there isn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
I bet willing to bet there's more than one group. From the reports I've read though, the majority of groups simply want to get rid of Assad.

We live in a time where we are constantly told that we are under the threat of terrorist attacks. It's really not surprising to me that the media focus would be largely focused on Islamist groups.

I'm not so worried about the threat that Syrian Islamists supposedly pose to the West. The West can defend itself, for now. I'm more worried about the plight of individuals in Syria, under despotic rule no matter where they turn.
Original post by Greenlaner
:rolleyes:

This of course coming from the same government which has continually backed the rebel forces and helped to fund and arm them. Well now the chickens are coming home to roost...

But look on the bright side, Assad may yet defeat the rebels and imprison or kill these 400 potentially radicalised Britons, thus solving our little dilema. Now that would be quite a stroke of irony.

My thoughts were sort of like this, hopefully they die/get locked up before they have a chance to come home.

As is I'm sure there must be some legal sanction against UK citizens going off and fighting in someone else's war, seems legally dubious after all.

Also as a rule states generally have the full and complete right to ban anyone from entering and remaining within the UK, along national security lines, etc.

If the British state could execute young lads for 'cowardice' during the First World War they can probably simply enough revoke UK citizenship to the Syrian fighters and ban them from returning.
-Hopefully a good few are killed over there so we don't have to worry about them.

As for the rest

-Any of them who weren't born in Britain ban them from returning here

As for the British born terrorists

-See if there is any British laws they have broken, arrest them and throw them in prison; if however they haven't broken any British laws then get MI5 and crew to closely monitor their activity as there is nothing else we can do.
Reply 89
Particularly when they decide to return. Counter-terrorism officers have already expressed concern about those returning radicalised.

What should we do? Arrest? Ban from re-entering the country? Do nothing?

What's your view?

I think you should award them the Victoria Cross for fighting against Bashir Al-Assad, who is after all backed by nations which are considered hostile to the West (i.e. Russia, China and Iran).

You're very lucky that these people are effectively fighting your nations cause without even demanding any pay :smile:
LOL, tsr you do make me chuckle..

As stated already by others, most don't want to come back.

Look up interviews with them and you can see it coming from their mouths

Also, the sad reality is that many of these 400 HEROES would probably die in their efforts to help the oppressed..

Also answer me why do YOU think they went there to fight? Why do you think people are willing to travel all that way, leaving behind their families and in some instances their studies, as well as the comfort of their home to go into the middle of a warzone? Even though they're likely to be killed, and also risk being tortured.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
Notice that I said "in principle". I would be in principle more in favour of occupation of China by the US than by the Chinese Communist party. In practice, doing that would be a stupid idea because the CCP has nuclear weapons and a UN security council seat that it never deserved.

The Assad regime has tortured people.

No fan of Assad, whether these claims are even true , under him christians, muslims, everyone lived in peace. Now you have christian being targetted.

It has sponsored people like Hezbollah in order to commit terrorist atrocities.

Hezbollah terrorists? They beat Israel in the 2006 invasion of Lebanon. In the world, in-fact, it is Israel who are considered the actual terrorists for their use of chemical weapons in the 2009 gaza massacre, their murder of civilians, their violation of international law, and their continual building of settlements on a regular basis violating international law.

[video="youtube_share;wJrkx0B6sVI"]http://youtu.be/wJrkx0B6sVI[/video]

It is one of the most unfree countries in the world, politically.

1. China is a dictatorship
2. Saudi arabia is a dictator ship - we love to trade with them. Not only are they dictators, they ban shiite's and other minorities from worship and partaking in the government!
3. Bahrain another dictatorship.

But lets not mention countries the US really needs for it's petro-dollars, fifth-fleet, and loans bailing it out.

You can say that it may be futile trying to improve this situation, but please don't pretend that it is not a stain on the rest of humanity. The problem is, there is no widespread movement towards liberal democracy in the region, apart from Israel. I am not arguing for funding Islamist rebels; that was a really really dumb thing to do. The most positive thing that could happen to Syria right now is for the US to come in, delete Assad, delete the Islamists and rule it directly for a while, until it changes. Undoubtedly many so-called liberals would not be in favour of that, and neither would I if there were a better alternative. Trouble is, there isn't.

80% of americans disagree with that.

Ron paul wholly and categorically disagrees.

The world knows what the US is capable of, we won't be fooled again. In the wise words of G.W.Bush - "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

The best thing the US should do is stop using saudi as a proxy, stop arming alqaeda backed rebels, acknowledge it was indeed the rebels who used chemical weapons(UN REPORT), and stop stirring things up behind the scenes.
(edited 10 years ago)
No fan of Assad, whether these claims are even true , under him christians, muslims, everyone lived in peace. Now you have christian being targetted.

Not saying it's better now. Still doesn't mean Assad didn't need to go. He should have been assassinated before the 2011 uprising, or if not, at the very beginning before Islamists took over the uprising.

Hezbollah terrorists? They beat Israel in the 2006 invasion of Lebanon. In the world, in-fact, it is Israel who are considered the actual terrorists for their use of chemical weapons in the 2009 gaza massacre, their murder of civilians, their violation of international law, and their continual building of settlements on a regular basis violating international law.

Hezbollah are Islamists who do their utmost to turn Lebanon from being what once was a peaceful and democratic state, into one of terror and religious barbarism. Israel are doing their utmost to defeat people like Hezbollah and Hamas in order to maintain what is the most free society in the middle east. OK, no side is perfect. There are crimes on both sides. I don't support expansionism in the West Bank or the use of white phosphorus on civilian-populated areas. But you need to talk rationally about what people's long-term goals and ideologies are. Clearly, if your goal is a free society you should support Israel and Lebanon against Hezbollah and Hamas.

1. China is a dictatorship
2. Saudi arabia is a dictator ship - we love to trade with them. Not only are they dictators, they ban shiite's and other minorities from worship and partaking in the government!
3. Bahrain another dictatorship.

But lets not mention countries the US really needs for it's petro-dollars, fifth-fleet, and loans bailing it out.

I would love to see all those countries' regimes destroyed. You seem to have trouble differentiating between an ideological commitment, and a practical commitment. I never said that it would be in practicality a good idea to invade Syria now. In fact I don't think it would be; it's too late and too far gone. And yes, if half your oil income depends on one country, it's generally necessary to suck up to whichever regime is running it.

80% of americans disagree with that.

Ron paul wholly and categorically disagrees.

I don't think 80% of Americans disagree with an ideological commitment to get rid of tyrannies and dictatorships. Perhaps Ron Paul does, but Ron Paul is a crank.

The world knows what the US is capable of, we won't be fooled again. In the wise words of G.W.Bush - "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

The best thing the US should do is stop using saudi as a proxy, stop arming alqaeda backed rebels, acknowledge it was indeed the rebels who used chemical weapons(UN REPORT), and stop stirring things up behind the scenes.

I agree with stopping its alliance with Saudi Arabia, but on the other hand it's quite hard when they control so much oil. Obviously backing Islamist rebels was a blunder (because the enemy of my enemy is not my friend). I still don't know why you place so much faith in a UN report that it was the rebels who used the chemical weapons, but then again it does not matter. The rebels as well as the Assad government have done, and more importantly believe in, some truly disgusting things.
Particularly when they decide to return. Counter-terrorism officers have already expressed concern about those returning radicalised.

What should we do? Arrest? Ban from re-entering the country? Do nothing?

What's your view?

It's called purge.
"Re: What do we do about the 400 British Muslims fighting in Syria?"

We PRAYPRAYPRAYYY for them as sincerely as we can!♥♥♥♥♥
Posted from TSR Mobile
Block their passports. They were already radical when they decided to commit suicide by taking part in a catastrophic war where death is highly probable.
Original post by Bashur
I hope they all die and come back in coffins.

:O!!!!what a nasty cruel human being must you be to come out with something as horrible as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Bashur
I hope they all die and come back in coffins.

Most of them want martyrdom more than you want them to die.

:wink:
Reply 98
Original post by Bashur
Oh gosh, which group are you a supporter of? I won't say what I really think but if you're what I think you are then I hope you gain your martyrdom too, preferably not taking innocent people to the ground with you.

I'm with the Muslims.

Is that an acceptable enough answer?

:tongue:
Reply 99
Say 'Good riddance' to them?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending