The Student Room Group

Can someone of a normal weight tell me what they typically eat in a day please?

I just want to know what is considered a normal diet. Not every thin person lives off salad and grilled fish and I want to see a standard diet for someone who is considered normal weight. I want to get an idea of how different my diet is to account for the massive four stone overweight I am.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Airfairy
I just want to know what is considered a normal diet. Not every thin person lives off salad and grilled fish and I want to see a standard diet for someone who is considered normal weight. I want to get an idea of how different my diet is to account for the massive four stone overweight I am.

what do you consider a normal weight?
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
what do you consider a normal weight?

Well I was thinking that a person reading this would know if they were of normal weight. I guess I'd class a normal weight as size 12 or less for women... not sure about men as much because size L doesn't mean you're actually large, from what I've seen. :dontknow:
Reply 3
I'm nit sure if I'm considered to be a 'normal' size since the average body fat depends on the ratio to height or something, it's a bit confusing. Although, I'm considered thin by some people so yeah...

Anyway, I don't really have a healthy diet, heck just yesterday I finished a whole jar of chocolate spread on strawberries and the cadbury sticks so my words wouldn't be reliable but from what I heard, you should eat the most calories during lunch or breakfast and the least during dinner.

This is because after breakfast or lunch, you still have things to do so you're burning off calories/fats but after dinner, you just go to sleep so you're not losing calories/fats at the same rate.

Sorry, for the horrible grammar.
Reply 4

perhaps you could post your food list so we can suggest changes ?
you may not get all the answers you're looking for from something like this, I'm 5'5 about 9st7-10st size 8-10 and a typical days food might be:
breakfast: very big bowl of branflakes, sometimes two bowls
snack: bowl of porridge
lunch: 2 sandwiches (e.g. brie+cranberry, bacon and cheese, apple+peanut butter)/3 eggs, 2 slices of toast/filled pasta w/tomato sauce (half a normal 2 serving pack)/covent garden soup with 2 peices of bread or a sandwich - then alongside that I'd probably have a piece of fruit, yoghurt and some fruit juice
snack: hot cross bun+butter, cheese and several crackers, bag of crisps, cereal bar - quite often I would have 2 of those things
dinner: baked fish cake/fish with potatoes and roasted veggies/chicken+vegetable curry with naan bread+rice/homemade pizza with meat on it+ a salad - and a piece of fruit
snack: humous and pitta bread, maybe another bag of crisps or some crackers as well

I made a bet not to eat chocolate/sweets/cake for a whole month but usually I'd have a couple of sweet things too like a small bag of sweets and chocolate bar for example

however I do a fair amount of exercise, I cycle commute to somewhere 14 miles away 2-3 times a week, then swim once a week, run twice and often go for another cycle, and my job involves me being on my feet all day - what you eat needs to be proportional to what you do

EDIT: should probably throw in, I get a takeout or eat out at least once a week, where I will usually eat a big meal, regularly three courses which probably adds a lot of cals
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends what you class as normal.

I'm 5'5, weigh 66kg (about 10 and half stone) and I'm in good shape.

Mornings I usually just stick with toast, at lunch usually pasta, dinner time anything can happen, pizza, chicken, chips, etc whatever I fancy. I usually snack in between but it's only ever something like tuna or chicken sandwich or something stupid. At night, I dunno what I have I just look in the freezer and take whatever's there (I usually resort to chicken nuggets).

Asking for people's diets, unless they're gym monkeys that count their macros, they're not gonna have a SET diet.

If you're looking to lose weight, DON'T starve yourself. You'll only risk hurting yourself internally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm 5'7 and a size 8-10 on top and 10-12 on bottom.

I have a terrible diet to be honest. I skip breakast, then live off sandwiches and crisps or pot noodles for lunch, or a baguette, then I have a big dinner of any kind of ready meal, or pasta, or frozen food, then I snack in the evening on sweets or shortbread.

I'm changing this though, because I do no exercise so eventually I'm going to put on a lot of weight this way.
Yesterday

Get up

Breakfast:
Oats 'n' half a pint of milk

Lunch:
Scotch egg, mayo, ham, cheese and tomato in a french stick :sexface:

Tea:
Steak and chips, peas, bread fried tomato with mayo and soft cheese
Lemon Yogurt for dessert

Pre-beddybyess snack:
Half a tub of cottage cheese, banana and some melon

for drinks in the day I had green tea, coffee, water and normal "english" tea

Edit: I also eat one cube of dark chocolate each day
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree with the person above who said that you likely won't get you want from this thread, partially because general activity levels affect things a lot but also just because some people seem to have very different metabolisms. On top of that, it's difficult to really describe how much food you eat without going into detailed portion descriptions.

For what it's worth, I'm a size 12 (when not pregnant) and pretty sedentary, and I usually eat:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with very small amount of milk
Lunch: Panini with cheese and vegetables
Dinner: Pasta with vegetables/sausages with butter beans and passata/goats cheese and sweet potato risotto/etc. etc.

I try to avoid snacking but I guess I usually eat some kind of cake/biscuits/sweets at least 2-3 times a week.
Reply 10
I'm above the average weight for my height but I reckon I've been eating healthily this week (note beforehand I was eating more).

Breakfast today:
peanut butter on toast (seeded bread) and a cup of black coffee
(for this week it was either this or an oats porridge sachet)

Lunch:
chicken salad roll, cup of tea, glass of water

Dinner:
pork chop, roasted vegetables, glass of tropical juice

Snacks:
water, 1 rivita crackerbread and humus.

Have you tried recording what you eat using MyFitnessPal? I used to be overweight, but I did that, stuck to the recommended daily calorie level MFP gave me and the results were amazing - I think I lost something like a stone and a half in two months, and I'm still using MFP to maintain my average weight. For me, it has helped to prevent my methods for losing and maintaining weight getting needlessly complicated and time-consuming.
Reply 12
I'd be careful recording what you eat, this can easily spiral out of control into something obsessive - but I suppose that can be said about anything. My fitness pal app is quite good as it's got a bar code scanner to get actual amounts of calories etc. It also flags up warnings if you're not eating enough food.

I'm 5ft 5 and I weight 53kg, wear size 6/8 clothes and I eat whatever I want.
Breakfast is usually toast, sometimes bacon, and tea
For lunch I usually have something like a pot noodle, or noodle things, soup or sandwiches stuff like that. Plus crisps or something depending where I am lol.
For dinner I quite often eat chicken, curry and rice based things though sometimes I got for chops/fish, chips etc.

I eat takeaway quite often but I'm trying to cut back and I hardly ever drink anything other than water.

My diet isn't great but I'm at a healthy weight so eh hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Platinum Mech
Have you tried recording what you eat using MyFitnessPal? I used to be overweight, but I did that, stuck to the recommended daily calorie level MFP gave me and the results were amazing - I think I lost something like a stone and a half in two months, and I'm still using MFP to maintain my average weight. For me, it has helped to prevent my methods for losing and maintaining weight getting needlessly complicated and time-consuming.

I use MFP every day. My logging isn't the most consistent though. How did they give you a recommended daily calorie level? At the moment I just end up guessing...
Original post by the bear
perhaps you could post your food list so we can suggest changes ?

It hasn't been very average for me at the moment - what with easter eggs and family gatherings meaning more food. Today so far I've had a turkey and stuffing sandwich and about quarter of an easter egg. To be honest, I probably know what I need to change anyway, I just wanted to know how different my diet was to that of someone of a healthy weight. It doesn't seem that different to be honest but I guess we all vary with metabolism and stuff.

Original post by doodle_333
you may not get all the answers you're looking for from something like this,

Original post by Kater Murr
I agree with the person above who said that you likely won't get you want from this thread, partially because general activity levels affect things a lot but also just because some people seem to have very different metabolisms. On top of that, it's difficult to really describe how much food you eat without going into detailed portion descriptions.

Yeah you're both right - it was a bad idea really. Only made me annoyed because I know I can't get away with eating what some people posted on here as I'd most likely gain. :dontknow:

Can I ask a general question to anyone who can answer - is eating breakfast really important or is it a myth? I've heard mixed things. I never eat breakfast because I'm just never hungry. Of course to someone who wants to lose weight, eating when not hungry just goes against everything haha.
I use MFP every day. My logging isn't the most consistent though. How did they give you a recommended daily calorie level? At the moment I just end up guessing...

If I remember correctly, when I first signed up for MFP, I was asked to provide certain details about myself (eg. height, activity level) and whether I wanted to lose, gain or maintain weight, and I was then given a particular calorie level to stick to every day. But I did all of this over a year ago, so I might have forgotten some details, and I registered through the iPad app - I don't know much about using MFP through its website.
Reply 15

It hasn't been very average for me at the moment - what with easter eggs and family gatherings meaning more food. Today so far I've had a turkey and stuffing sandwich and about quarter of an easter egg. To be honest, I probably know what I need to change anyway, I just wanted to know how different my diet was to that of someone of a healthy weight. It doesn't seem that different to be honest but I guess we all vary with metabolism and stuff.

if you want a simple way to lose weight...

just prepare your normal food & then put 1/3 in the garbage.
Hi, I'm 5'4 and just under 10 stone. (& currently losing weight) Size 8-10 top, 12 bottoms.

Breakfast: I'll switch this up, sometimes I'll just have a banana and some fruit juice (particularly on early mornings) but I tend to have 1 1/2 weetabix, or half portion of plain ready brek. Other mornings I'll have a bagel or some toast. Occasionally I have an egg or a couple of slices of healthy grilled bacon. It all depends how hungry I am (normally not very.)

Snack: rarely do I snack at home in the mornings

Lunch: Varies whether I or not I'm at school. At home, I'll have soup and crackers, or a toasted sandwich. I'll sometimes have beans on toast, or a jacket potato. I then have either a packet of crisps or cereal bar, with a yoghurt or a piece of fruit. At school, I'll have a sandwich (normally tuna or chicken), bag of crisps, some fruit and a yoghurt.

Dinner: whatever my parents are having. We have a lot of casseroles and pasta dishes, but also a lot of warm salads. Oven chips are a frequent staple too. We always have lots of veg. The biggest thing with dinner is portion sizes.
I'll sometimes have a ice lolly for dessert.

Snack: terrible habit, but I have to have an evening snack before bed. Normally I'll have my chocolate craving for the day :wink: or a couple of digestives. Quite partial to a herbal tea.

I also drink hella lot of water every day, but I'm not sure that aids weight loss :wink:

Exercise wise, I run 3 times a week, gym once a week, and I walk home from school every day also (just over a mile uphill). When I go on study leave I'll be able to start swimming twice a week but I have no time at the moment. The bonus of exercise is you get to eat more :smile:
Reply 17
How much you should eat very much depends on how tall you are and you sex. I.e men burn more calories than women and a 6"1 man will burn more calories than a 5"5 man. as mentioned it also depends on the amount of exercise you do. you can find online calorie calculators which will tell you roughly how many calories you can consume in a day. if you want to lose weight you should consume less than this figure. Best of luck with it.
Yeah you're both right - it was a bad idea really. Only made me annoyed because I know I can't get away with eating what some people posted on here as I'd most likely gain. :dontknow:

Can I ask a general question to anyone who can answer - is eating breakfast really important or is it a myth? I've heard mixed things. I never eat breakfast because I'm just never hungry. Of course to someone who wants to lose weight, eating when not hungry just goes against everything haha.

people do vary but I really think one of the biggest things in weight/how much people eat is physical activity levels, I eat a lot but I exercise probably 7-10 times in a typical week, I'm a support worker so I have to push wheelchairs/lift people, clean, cook etc all day, I walk or cycle everywhere, and I spend very little time sat down watching TV/films and stuff, if I have free time I'm probably up and about doing something etc - if you can build up your physical activity level you could probably eat a lot more

erm eating breakfast depends how your body works, some people say it 'kickstarts' your metabolism for the day, some people say it just stops you getting hungrier and overeating later on, I literally can't function in the morning without a decent breakfast so I tend to be of the opinion that it's important for energy levels and regulating hunger and so on and that people who say they can't stomach it just need to get used to eating early in the morning
Eggs :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest