The Student Room Group

Law: What best way to Remember Case names and Dates!!!

Also do you have any Law TIPS/Advice on "Applying the law" / Best way to tackle Problem solving questions
Best ways I found of remembering cases:

1. Use images. I have one image of a celebrity next to a picture of my friend, and their names together form the name of the case I want. I visualise the images to work out the case name. This is only productive if you do it for only a few cases, the more and more you use this technique it will be less productive.

2. Plan problem questions. Attempt them if you can, but if you are engaging with the cases you will take them in much better.

Also best way to apply the law, just sit down and work out a structure for the topic! For example for defamation this is my structure:

1. Is it libel or slander; is it actionable per se?
2. Is the statement defamatory?
3. Does it refer to the claimant?
4. Has it been published?
5. Are there any defences offered by the DA 2013?
6. Remedies.

I work out a structure for each topic beforehand and apply it to each claim in a problem question. Even if part of your structure is obvious from the facts of the problem question just spend a sentence answering it.

Hope that helps and good luck! :smile:
write out the cases and the ratioes a billion times each - that seems to work for me
I always try and write down the main structure and cases of the topics I have revised every day. It's not that big a deal and it's not always very neat. You just take a paper or create a mind map and you just try to fit in whatever you can from your revision. If you don't remember things, try not to panic. It's normal because there are a million things you need to remember for an exam. Just read through your notes again and eventually everything will find its place in your brain.

You can also use post-it notes. Case name, some facts of the case, and legal principle.

Also, recordings could also help you if you are commuting daily or even when you get from your home to the uni and vice versa or to the supermarket etc. Instead of music, try to listen to the podcasts.
Original post by Britishstudent
Best ways I found of remembering cases:

1. Use images. I have one image of a celebrity next to a picture of my friend, and their names together form the name of the case I want. I visualise the images to work out the case name. This is only productive if you do it for only a few cases, the more and more you use this technique it will be less productive.

2. Plan problem questions. Attempt them if you can, but if you are engaging with the cases you will take them in much better.

Also best way to apply the law, just sit down and work out a structure for the topic! For example for defamation this is my structure:

1. Is it libel or slander; is it actionable per se?
2. Is the statement defamatory?
3. Does it refer to the claimant?
4. Has it been published?
5. Are there any defences offered by the DA 2013?
6. Remedies.

I work out a structure for each topic beforehand and apply it to each claim in a problem question. Even if part of your structure is obvious from the facts of the problem question just spend a sentence answering it.

Hope that helps and good luck! :smile:

I find that the defamation cases are a bit easier to remember because they are fewer and also many involve weird cases or celebrities, so it's perhaps easier to guess the name if you remember the image of the celebrity.
Original post by helpmekid

Also do you have any Law TIPS/Advice on "Applying the law" / Best way to tackle Problem solving questions

You don't need the dates for simply citing the case.

Best way to remember most cases' names is to picture the events from the case's facts and identify the party names with the characters in the case. Worked for me, anyway.

If the worst comes to the worst and you forget the name of the case in the exam, just write "in a leading case..." and describe the facts in a couple of sentences so the examiner knows which case you're talking about. The name is the least important thing to remember about the case.
Reply 6
You don't necessarily need to remember the dates of the cases. The name will suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending