The Student Room Group

Should a 13 year old date a 16 year old?

HI! My name is Nala and I need help. So I met this guy that is 16 over about a month ago and he has feelings for me because 1 he told me he likes me and 2 because he flirts with me and 3 he tries to hold my hand. So should I ask him out? I mean I like him 2?

Scroll to see replies

when youre 16 you will realise that its pretty weird, its not the most horrific age gap in the world but its a bit dodgy I won't lie
Original post by Nala Ggrace
HI! My name is Nala and I need help. So I met this guy that is 16 over about a month ago and he has feelings for me because 1 he told me he likes me and 2 because he flirts with me and 3 he tries to hold my hand. So should I ask him out? I mean I like him 2?

Shouse California Law Group: https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/is-it-illegal-to-date-a-minor/
"As long as the relationship is not sexual, it is generally not illegal merely to date a minor."

That means as long as the relationship is not sexual, you have a legal right to date the 16 year old.

Being attracted to a 13 year old as a 16yo isn't a mental disorder, but that is weird.
No sex allowed with a 13-year-old, that’s paedophilia.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
No sex allowed with a 13-year-old, that’s paedophilia.

It's not paedophilia.

Doesn't meet the criteria. A person must be at least 16 years old and the primary/exclusive attraction is to the prepubescent child, 5 years younger, for DSM 5-TR definition.

This age gap doesn't meet the criteria
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5

A 13yo shouldn't be dating anyone.

Concentrate on family, friends, school and hobbies.
Coincidentally, My 16yo cousin (girl) is dating a 13 year old boy

But to answer your question:
No.

Just no.
Original post by justlearning1469
It's not paedophilia.

Doesn't meet the criteria. A person must be at least 16 years old and the primary/exclusive attraction is to the prepubescent child, 5 years younger, for DSM 5-TR definition.

This age gap doesn't meet the criteria

It's still against the law
No once cares about the hebephilia/pedophilia technicality. It's still too young
Defo not
No.

Original post by safari24
Coincidentally, My 16yo cousin (girl) is dating a 13 year old boy

But to answer your question:
No.

Just no.

What ??

I'd give it a pass- there's no need to rush having a boyfriend!
Thats abit dodgy brev iwl
Bad idea. You're likely to be pushed into sexual activity long before you're ready. Even if he seems sweet now it won't last once you two are alone in his/your room and he's horny.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by safari24
It's still against the law
No once cares about the hebephilia/pedophilia technicality. It's still too young

Dating is not illegal as long as no sex is involved.

Where in UK law is "dating" even illegal?

But even then... this age gap is weird, although still normal enough, in the sense the dude who pursues this is probably not mentally disordered.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Surnia
A 13yo shouldn't be dating anyone.

Concentrate on family, friends, school and hobbies.

Going too far, I'm not restricting their romantic life like that.
A 13 year old should not be dating. Period!
hes a pedo ur way too young for him
Original post by justlearning1469
Dating is not illegal as long as no sex is involved.

Where in UK law is "dating" even illegal?

But even then... this age gap is weird, although still normal enough, in the sense the dude who pursues this is probably not mentally disordered.

if you want to argue UK law then don't post a website from California.
Original post by Genesiss
if you want to argue UK law then don't post a website from California.

UK law: https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/11_18/lets-talk-about/relationships/age-gap-relationships/
Technically not illegal
Reply 19
Yes only if the love is there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending