The Student Room Group

What did you have towards your law personal statement?

Currently coming towards the end of year 12. Personally, I have a done a few readings of books relevant to the subject so far, and intend to continue this practise until my application date. I listen to podcasts and keep up-to-date with 'Law In Action' UK on Spotify, and I've completed a couple MOOCs on the 'Rule of Law'. I've tried to contact firms, but there's a very small number in my area (3 or 4) and 2 of them have specific work experience application dates (one of them is taking applications come November, which I'm going to apply for). The other two just said they aren't taking students at the moment but to get back into contact at a later date. From what I've heard from uni students at open days, you usually have to know someone who can get you in.

Is there anything extra I could be doing to boost my application specifically for law? Is it important to have work experience at a firm, and what other forms of work experience might you recommend?
Original post by Stefani.r
Currently coming towards the end of year 12. Personally, I have a done a few readings of books relevant to the subject so far, and intend to continue this practise until my application date. I listen to podcasts and keep up-to-date with 'Law In Action' UK on Spotify, and I've completed a couple MOOCs on the 'Rule of Law'. I've tried to contact firms, but there's a very small number in my area (3 or 4) and 2 of them have specific work experience application dates (one of them is taking applications come November, which I'm going to apply for). The other two just said they aren't taking students at the moment but to get back into contact at a later date. From what I've heard from uni students at open days, you usually have to know someone who can get you in.

Is there anything extra I could be doing to boost my application specifically for law? Is it important to have work experience at a firm, and what other forms of work experience might you recommend?

Hi @Stefani.r!

It sounds like you are doing everything right! I found that the best way to impress with applications is to show dedication to the subject in just the kind of ways that you already are. Of course, if you can get experience with a firm that will be really good not just for your application but also for your own benefit of knowing if you really do want a future career in law. If you are interested in a particular form of law that is shown publicly in courts, such as criminal or family, you can often go and sit in the public gallery which will give you another thing to put down in your application as well as showing you a different side to the job! Equally, if you can register for some form of legal volunteering or Pro-bono work this is also a good way to diversify your application. Basically, seize every opportunity that you can get your hands on! However, remember, you don't have to be burning the candle at both ends and filling all of your free time with law-related activities to look good in an application. Sometimes, having other interests such as sports or music can be seen as equally valuable as it shows you to be a well-rounded individual.

I hope this helps and good luck in your future applications!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Original post by Stefani.r

hey i'm gonna be applying to law too, what books have you read?
Reply 3
Original post by random262837
hey i'm gonna be applying to law too, what books have you read?

Hey there,
So I've read 'The Rule Of Law' by Tom Bingham. That's a classic that most people read in preparation for personal statements. (By the way, if you have tiktok that's a really great place to look for book recommendations). I've also read 'Letters to a law student' by Nicholas J. McBride. Another classic but I don't think I'm going to use that one, although it is a good law course insight. And I've also read all of 'The Secret Barrister' books. You've probably seen those around in bookstores and things. Right now though I'm just starting 'Is eating people wrong?' by Alan C. Hutchinson. My school library also has a bunch of uni-standard law textbooks/magazines. They're dated, but I like to flick through them now and again to get used to the key terms.

Hope that helped.
Have you read any law books so far? Do you have any recs yourself?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending