The Student Room Group

Northern Ireland Should Have The Right To Decide Its Own Taxs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by revron77
Thank you for your lovely reply. The patronizing tone truly did set your arguments in stone.

Now for your point that a state does not exist if you can't be a citizen of it. I think you have mixed up your definitions. Your point would stand up if I said "Sovereign State", which I did not. A state is a country or region under a government. Northern Ireland has its own government (With some powers taken away) but its political system to quite a degree is separate from the rest of the UK. THUS defining it as state (Example: US States have their own state government which can at times be over-ruled by the federal government. But regardless they are states)

To back up this point, here is Oxford Dictionary

Now unless the Northern Ireland Assembly lacks the right to govern its own laws. Then you may have got me somewhere. But considering we dictate many of our own laws, that would make us a state according to Oxford.

NOW if all this has not convinced you that Northern Ireland is a state... I'll leave you with this to think about. We currently have a dedicated Secretary of State for Northern Ireland... now if you really really believe that I am wrong and that NI is not a state. You can always call the Queen and tell her that having a "Secretary of State" for Northern Ireland is wrong because... well we aren't a state apparently... just another region with extended governmental control... no biggy.

(Now if you wish to be smart again and try to prove me wrong... please just please do some research before calling me out... I'd save me a lot of time // Regards - Revron)

I'm sorry, but it's really not worth my time to try to argue with you on stupid semantic points that you clearly don't understand.

Now thank you very much sir for explaining to me what democracy is. I surely did not understand the concept when entering this political forum...

Well, you'd be in good company. Most people don't, and people who subscribe to nationalistic politics even less.

Now to the main point... we may have MPs. But with our so few seats. We could never stand in such a force to oppose larger taxation if we wanted to.

Again, your shortcomings are evident. You don't have any MPs, you have a single vote to elect one MP in your particular constituency. What you suggest is a nationalistic understanding of inherently non-nationalist structures: namely the allocation of elected members in a democracy.

Basically, any democrat must immediately dismiss your nationalism. Because democracy is inherently a civic ideology: it recognises only the individual and the polity. It does not recognise self-identified groups within that polity.

Now if you do wish to reply to all this: Please note - Stating "This doesn't actually mean anything" is not a logical response as in itself it does not provide any substance to the debate.

No, I'll just tell you that you clearly haven't thought through a single thing you've said, for the reasons I've outlined. I may be an absolute ******** to you, but there's nothing I've said that isn't entirely correct here. You simply don't understand democratic ideology, yet try to appeal to it.

It's very difficult to debate with someone who argues for something, yet clearly hasn't taken the time to develop a decent understanding of it. Instead of being an advocate for a certain position, you become an unpaid tutor. I have no desire to slip into that exceptionally boring position.
Reply 21
Original post by revron77

Not sure you know, but within a few words you just contradicted yourself. "You don't have any MPs" - "You have a single vote to elect one MP"

If you really believe that MPs are a myth in NI. Please direct yourself to the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MPs_for_constituencies_in_Northern_Ireland_2010%E2%80%93
http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

That's not what he meant at all. He means that you personally don't have your own MPs, you get a single vote to elect one MP in your constituency just like every other person in the UK. You have the same amount of representation as any individual person from England, Scotland or Wales (more or less).

And Northern Ireland isn't a state. The UK is a unitary state with devolved regions rather than a federation. The difference is that in a federation there are limits on the central government's power over each state. In the UK, the central government has delegated powers to another body (the Northern Ireland Assembly in this case), but has not stripped itself of the power to overrule them if need be (as has happened between 2002 and 2007).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending