The Student Room Group

What makes you want to learn the language you'd like to learn?

Poll

What makes you want to learn the language?

Sorry, i have to apologise and i hope this is allowed but i'm re-posting this thread because i left out the poll on the last one and i don't know how to fix it. (Just let the other thread die)

So what makes a language appeal to you? Is it the sound, writing, necessity etc?

If you vote it would be nice if you expanded on your choice by posting below:smile: e.g if you vote 'script' - is that because it's unusual, very different from the script you would use for you native language, or maybe because the script is the same as your own language so you can read it without a problem...but then maybe that comes under the 'ease of learning' choice.

Anyway...interested to know.
Reply 1
You didn't include "on a whim"!
Reply 2
You didn't include "on a whim"!

Sorry Piers! Oh well, i guess that will have to come under 'other' and people can post 'on a whim' with their vote :smile:
Reply 3
The language I would like to learn is Greek, reasons being:

Unusual script (I can read almost anything now - can't understand it though :p:)
History of the language (that's obvious)
Love the culture (Greeks rock :biggrin:)
Reply 4
Coombe
Sorry Piers! Oh well, i guess that will have to come under 'other' and people can post 'on a whim' with their vote :smile:

That's acceptable:biggrin: But I'll expand a bit anyway...

I think the Chinese script is both intricate and beautiful. It's the product of many thousands of years' worth of history, conveying much more than just language. Also, many different regions in what is considered "China" don't speak mutually intelligible dialects; the only thing that binds all Chinese together is indeed the script. Chinese is also rather a good base for learning other Oriental languages: Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese all have Sino roots.
Reply 5
Being able to read the literature of a language is also a big attraction - although obviously it takes time to get to the stage where you really can understand it. I've been learning German for 7 years (just done A2) and am still on kiddie's books!

Latest

Trending

Trending