The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE History A2 The United States 1917-54: Boom Bust & Recovery: Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Water_fall
So basically you only need a C to get an A overall? Im pretty sure you can do that! loool

sorry I forgot it is 120 UMS. I actually mean like 73% of that 120 :biggrin: so a B
but they have asked more social questions than economic boom ones since the new syllabus. Economic boom has only come up once so it is very likely to come up again. plus the question last year was social as well.

It will either be one of:

1. economic boom
2. Women
3. Rural vs Urban

In what time span you mean Nr 2 and 3. And for Rural vs Urban you also mean KKK kind of?
Original post by TheHenri
In what time span you mean Nr 2 and 3. And for Rural vs Urban you also mean KKK kind of?

For number 2 my teacher gave us one he made up which was, "The 19th amendment granting the vote launched a decade of change in the role of American women. How far do you agree with this statement?"

and for number 3 it will probably be all the factors that caused tension between urban and rural areas, e.g KKK, religion, Prohibition, women
sorry I forgot it is 120 UMS. I actually mean like 73% of that 120 :biggrin: so a B

haha same I need a really high B to get a A overall. How did you do in your coursework?
There hasn't been a specific question of either of the wars yet has there? I'm hoping for that or economic boom/women! I've missed out opposition to new deal completely in the hope they won't repeat it :s-smilie: I need an A* and it all depends on if a nice question comes up!! Ahh!
haha same I need a really high B to get a A overall. How did you do in your coursework?

In Part A I got 24/25 and in Part B I got 23/25, but there is always the possibility of getting marked down I guess.
For number 2 my teacher gave us one he made up which was, "The 19th amendment granting the vote launched a decade of change in the role of American women. How far do you agree with this statement?"

and for number 3 it will probably be all the factors that caused tension between urban and rural areas, e.g KKK, religion, Prohibition, women

do you have any good links for information on these topics, dont feel confident on them at all...
Sooo not looking forward to this.
Weirdly though, having thought all year that I would put everything behind the Economic Boom and Depression, I'm now finding that I'm actually more confident with the New Deal and Post WW2. Really hope McCarthyism/Anti-Communism comes up! :O
With boom you guys mean the 1920s boom or the boom after 2nd World war?
By boom we mean the boom in the 1920s.

Also what kind of question do you guys think could come up about anti-communism? they have already asked about the impact of McCarthyism so I was thinking it would be about the factors that caused anti-communism.

Also what question could they ask us about the WW2 apart from the boom after the War?
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone want to peer mark my work? Teachers are being useless. 40 marker on causes. Reply/PM , I'd really appreciate it.
Reply 31
but they have asked more social questions than economic boom ones since the new syllabus. Economic boom has only come up once so it is very likely to come up again. plus the question last year was social as well.

It will either be one of:

1. economic boom
2. Women
3. Rural vs Urban

Am slightly alarmed by the number of people predicting that women will come up :eek:, I've done no practice whatsoever for a question only on women, what sorts of questions do you think they could ask about them?
Original post by sophie5
Am slightly alarmed by the number of people predicting that women will come up :eek:, I've done no practice whatsoever for a question only on women, what sorts of questions do you think they could ask about them?

its because women has never come up before, whereas they have already asked about KKK, immigration, and prohibition. It could also be tension between rural vs urban areas.

here is an essay my teacher gave us for women: "The 19th amendment granting the vote launched a decade of change in the role of American women. How far do you agree with this statement?"
Original post by sophie5

I've split it up into political, economic (employment), and new freedoms/changing attitudes - how the position of women improved and didn't improve in each area. I've just practiced the question 'to what extent to do you agree that the role of women improved in the 1920s?'. We're only predicting it because it hasn't been up before haha, but that doesn't mean it will so don't panic :smile:

By boom we mean the boom in the 1920s.

Also what kind of question do you guys think could come up about anti-communism? they have already asked about the impact of McCarthyism so I was thinking it would be about the factors that caused anti-communism.

Also what question could they ask us about the WW2 apart from the boom after the War?

Yeah I was thinking about the factors that caused anti-communisim.

And I've split WW2 into political, social and economic impact. My teacher gave us the question, 'to what extent do you agree there was a social revolution following ww2?' to practice.
Reply 34
its because women has never come up before, whereas they have already asked about KKK, immigration, and prohibition. It could also be tension between rural vs urban areas.

here is an essay my teacher gave us for women: "The 19th amendment granting the vote launched a decade of change in the role of American women. How far do you agree with this statement?"

[QUOTE="chazzaaa;47863585"]I've split it up into political, economic (employment), and new freedoms/changing attitudes - how the position of women improved and didn't improve in each area. I've just practiced the question 'to what extent to do you agree that the role of women improved in the 1920s?'. We're only predicting it because it hasn't been up before haha, but that doesn't mean it will so don't panic :smile:

Thanks- that helped, they're both fairly plausible questions.Looking at this thread and seeing the predictions is quite a shock I am still clinging on to a tiny inkling of hope that they will surprise us again and ask about opposition to the New Deal. I hope the economic boom comes up or I even think that the KKK might.
Original post by chazzaaa
I've split it up into political, economic (employment), and new freedoms/changing attitudes - how the position of women improved and didn't improve in each area. I've just practiced the question 'to what extent to do you agree that the role of women improved in the 1920s?'. We're only predicting it because it hasn't been up before haha, but that doesn't mean it will so don't panic :smile:

Yeah I was thinking about the factors that caused anti-communisim.

And I've split WW2 into political, social and economic impact. My teacher gave us the question, 'to what extent do you agree there was a social revolution following ww2?' to practice.

thank you!! for that question would you talk about the political effects of ww2, the economic effects and social effects or just social effects?
[QUOTE="sophie5;47863749"]
Original post by chazzaaa

Thanks- that helped, they're both fairly plausible questions.Looking at this thread and seeing the predictions is quite a shock I am still clinging on to a tiny inkling of hope that they will surprise us again and ask about opposition to the New Deal. I hope the economic boom comes up or I even think that the KKK might.

Oh no please dont say KKK, I think I might cry if that comes up! I completely skipped that out, I dont understand what kind of question they could ask about it apart from the one they have already asked in 2011. My teacher thinks it is most likely to be an economic boom since it has only come up once since the start of the new syllabus
Reply 37
[QUOTE="Water_fall;47864270"]
Original post by sophie5

Oh no please dont say KKK, I think I might cry if that comes up! I completely skipped that out, I dont understand what kind of question they could ask about it apart from the one they have already asked in 2011. My teacher thinks it is most likely to be an economic boom since it has only come up once since the start of the new syllabus

I mean unless they ask us something non-specific like social tensions or something, I think they will repeat 2011. I will be distraught if McCarthyism and war economy comes up- I've not learnt bullet point 4. Economic Boom would be great- perhaps making republican policies the focus?
Though, I wouldn't disregard prohibition either considering recently they've been trying to trick us by putting similar questions to the previous series, so we don't suspect the question!
Reply 38

What are the predictions for section B topics for Roosevelt's New Deal controversy?
Reply 39

What would you write about for women?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending