The Student Room Group

I look younger than my real age.. how can I look older?

I've just done my AS levels and I'm almost 17. Basically my problem is that people always think I'm younger than I am and so treat me younger. It's starting to really get to me!

I have a 14 year old sister and a few people now have been very surprised when they learn I'm older than her.

When I go to the hairdressers or something, they always say something like 'so have you started your GCSEs yet?' - I'm like grr I'm about to do A2! Even my supervisor at work was asking how my GCSEs went.

I don't understand it. Most people I know (eg teachers) say I act very maturely, I'm average height (possibly slightly taller if anything), wear make-up (but don't go OTT).. I buy clothes from normal places like TopShop, Zara.

Can anyone suggest anything? It's so getting on my nerves!
Reply 1
Just slip into conversations, early on, how old you are, or something that defines your age.

Trust me, you'll be thrilled to be mistaken for younger when you're my age (i.e. old and decrepid)
Reply 2
a bit of tissue can work wonders :wink:
Lets pretend I'm a girl, and that I know what I'm taking about.

What exactly bothers you about looking younger anyway? It's cute on girls. And, like Segat1 said, you've got it good once you get older.

The industry of making women look younger and more vibrant is worth billions. You've got it natural, just be happy about it :biggrin:
Reply 4
^^ Yeh I guess..

I've never dated and I think it may be something to do with me looking younger.. the other day my sister and I met these guys who were 18 and they started saying they were looking for girls their age - well I'm nearly 17, that's not too far off! I wasn't looking for a date with any of them or anything like that, but I hope you can see my point!

Really though it's more about being treated as if I'm younger all the time. I know being 18 I'm still a kid really but quite often I'm treated like a child. That's what is most annoying.
give it a few years..
Reply 6
God i have same problem!! Just turned 19 but i look sooo young!! When at hairdressers at the start of the summer, woman was asking me about my AS choices.. was like just finished my first year at Uni, she looked so embarrassed and couldn't stop apologising for ages!!

Things like that annoy me, and when i need to show ID for things, when i can see people who i know are 16 getting served! Lol, but other wise it's fun to play up to the 'small and cute', lads love it... so do that :smile:

-x-
Reply 7
NotoriousMIC
give it a few years..

aye, i cant help you look older, but i can say id rather look younger than (as i apparently do) older. Pretty much everyone i meet now thinks im about 26, and dont believe me when i say im 18, and, more often than not, younger than them. thats starting to hack me off
Reply 8
EAsiest thing to do, smoke lots, drink lots, dont excersize, Inhale poisonous chemicals and sleep on your face.
That way you will look older.
Alternativley you could wear a ronald reagan mask.
Reply 9
Hehe I laugh about looking younger :biggrin:
Reply 10
Evil-Tuna
EAsiest thing to do, smoke lots, drink lots, dont excersize, Inhale poisonous chemicals and sleep on your face.
That way you will look older.
Alternativley you could wear a ronald reagan mask.

jeeze, id be completely f***ed if i actually did any or all of that then! lol
Reply 11
talk about the excitement of learning to drive soon. casually have your theory book lying around when people come round etc.
MissSurfer
I've just done my AS levels and I'm almost 17. Basically my problem is that people always think I'm younger than I am and so treat me younger. It's starting to really get to me!

I have a 14 year old sister and a few people now have been very surprised when they learn I'm older than her.

When I go to the hairdressers or something, they always say something like 'so have you started your GCSEs yet?' - I'm like grr I'm about to do A2! Even my supervisor at work was asking how my GCSEs went.

I don't understand it. Most people I know (eg teachers) say I act very maturely, I'm average height (possibly slightly taller if anything), wear make-up (but don't go OTT).. I buy clothes from normal places like TopShop, Zara.

Can anyone suggest anything? It's so getting on my nerves!

people think i look older. oh god.
Reply 13
That's better than looking older than your age! When i did my hospital work experience (i was 16), i had junior doctors think I was a junior doctor as well!! :eek: and they started doing the whole smile/nod/welcome thingy at me:redface:
Reply 14
I think part of the problem is that nowadays loads of kids, especially girls (ages 11,12,13,14) wear makeup, dress in adultish clothes and generally look very mature for their age. When a 14 year old looks 17, what chance have people got of distinguishing a 14 year old from a 17 year old?
grow a beard!!!
I know you're a girl but at least you'll look so that different no one will question your age.

or alternatively stop worring the ageing will come along , and soon enough you'll be wishing you still did look younger than your 14 year old sister

Latest

Trending

Trending