The Student Room Group

My confidence is crumbling because I look 10 years younger than I am :(

I’m 24 but have been told that I look 14 when I meet new people ☹️ I’m really short and have a baby face, and no matter how much makeup I wear, or how much I try to dress like people my age and wear heels, people still think I’m a child!

It’s just getting my confidence down. Mentally, I’m confident at where I am in life, I’ve got two degrees, got a good job and am financially okay, but when people look at me and treat me like a child it just makes me feel like I’m nothing.

I guess when I was in a relationship and when I hang out with friends people could work out that I am older than a child, but when I’m out on my own or with my parents it’s like I have to put extra effort to look closer to my age, without success. It sucks that most people my age can get away with dressing casually going to the shops without makeup but I literally cannot without looking 10 years younger. While people my age are going on solo holidays, I cannot because I am scared of walking out alone looking like a child and am scared for my safety!

I worry that this will also affect my romantic life as no one is ever going to approach me if they think I’m a child. The only relationship id had was at uni, so people knew I obviously wasn’t a child. I’ve (reluctantly) tried online dating but I personally prefer meeting people in real life as I can feel whether there’s a spark or not, so I don’t want to have to resort to online dating.

I’m starting a new job soon and I’m scared I’m gonna get all those comments about my looks again, when I just want to be taken seriously ☹️
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 24 but have been told that I look 14 when I meet new people ☹️ I’m really short and have a baby face, and no matter how much makeup I wear, or how much I try to dress like people my age and wear heels, people still think I’m a child!

It’s just getting my confidence down. Mentally, I’m confident at where I am in life, I’ve got two degrees, got a good job and am financially okay, but when people look at me and treat me like a child it just makes me feel like I’m nothing.

I guess when I was in a relationship and when I hang out with friends people could work out that I am older than a child, but when I’m out on my own or with my parents it’s like I have to put extra effort to look closer to my age, without success. It sucks that most people my age can get away with dressing casually going to the shops without makeup but I literally cannot without looking 10 years younger. While people my age are going on solo holidays, I cannot because I am scared of walking out alone looking like a child and am scared for my safety!

I worry that this will also affect my romantic life as no one is ever going to approach me if they think I’m a child. The only relationship id had was at uni, so people knew I obviously wasn’t a child. I’ve (reluctantly) tried online dating but I personally prefer meeting people in real life as I can feel whether there’s a spark or not, so I don’t want to have to resort to online dating.

I’m starting a new job soon and I’m scared I’m gonna get all those comments about my looks again, when I just want to be taken seriously ☹️

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about how this is impacting on your social life and safety. I also have what some would describe a "baby face", and plenty of people I meet are shocked to hear my age. I try to find the positives in this however, because I like to think that when I am older, I will look younger than I am and keep a youthful appearance. Do you tend to wear clothes which imply your age more? If you were to go on a solo holiday, I think that confidence and the way you walk can help a lot with regards to looking vulnerable.

Regardless, I don't think it is a bad thing to look younger, and I am sure there are many who envy your youthful appearance, so just be confident and you will shine!

Good luck to you in the future and I hope you feel better about the situation.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
hi, i have the same problem as you. 21, and 4ft11 and south asian. I also do not feel confident when going to family events as no one takes me seriously. I understand your problems

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending